What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test: England v Pakistan at Lords, May 24-28, 2018

TheParraboy

Staff member
2 test series coming up , starting this Thursday evening AET

before Pakistan move on to 2 important t20 matches v Scotland on consecutive days :rolleyes:

I will most likely miss the first session watching the mighty Parramatta Eels smack the showponys on their home turf

Timbo

Staff member
Given the scare the Irish gave the Pakistanis, I dare say the Poms should win this fairly handily.

Bit of a weird tour - Pakistan have played three FC warm up games for just two tests? Plus the test in Ireland?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
2 test series coming up , starting this Thursday evening AET

before Pakistan move on to 2 important t20 matches v Scotland on consecutive days :rolleyes:

I will most likely miss the first session watching the mighty Parramatta Eels smack the showponys on their home turf
I will be at the game ready to be laughed at by the two headed mutants.

Last edited:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Given the scare the Irish gave the Pakistanis, I dare say the Poms should win this fairly handily.

Bit of a weird tour - Pakistan have played three FC warm up games for just two tests? Plus the test in Ireland?

Enough games to get Amir injured :(

Looking forward to Buttler at 7 with a license this series.

Das Gupta

Juniors
Poms finally dropped Vince about time. Good to see Buttler back in the team. He would surely offer more than the dregs they have being trotting out the past 12 months.

Front-Rower

First Grade
England win the toss and bat on an overcast morning.

Into the 16th over and they are 3/43. Root was disappointing, chasing a rubbish wide one and snicking through to the keeper.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Poms all out 184 with Cook scoring 70.

Pakistan 1/50 in reply.

I like Buttler but to bat him at 7 when he's not keeping is ridiculous. He's either a good enough batsman to bat higher in the order or give him the gloves.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yeh, Butler should be about 4 or 5

I cant help but wonder how the Pakis are gonna f**k this up some how

Timbo

Staff member
Ingerlund Ingerlund Ingerlund...

I think the problem with England remains the middle order. The whole middle order barring Root are genuine #6s - you can only hope that your 8 and 9 bail you out so often.

Das Gupta

Juniors
Ingerlund Ingerlund Ingerlund...

I think the problem with England remains the middle order. The whole middle order barring Root are genuine #6s - you can only hope that your 8 and 9 bail you out so often.

Their top order is not much better. Cook is on his last last legs, you could say the same for Stonefeet.
Vince was garbage. Root hates batting a 3 for some reason.
Hard to fathom England haven't found a decent opener since Strauss retired nearly 6 years ago. Had a dozen candidates and non have really played well enough to belong.

Das Gupta

Juniors
Quick stat on Root
He has played 32 innings at 3 and averaged 42 with 3 tons.
At 4 played 44 innings and averaged 52 with 4 tons
At 5 played 28 innings and averaged 73 with 6 tons.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Bairstow looks a perfect number 3 to me.

He's a no better keeper than Buttler so gives the gloves to Buttler.

Then:

Cooked
Stonefeet
Bairstow
Root
Malan
Stokes
Buttler

Then again I don't care what England do.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Pakistan reprimanded over smart watches
Asad Shafiq and Babar Azam instructed by ICC to discontinue wearing watches following first day of two-Test series in England

Pakistan will give up wearing smart watches after being told to ditch them by the International Cricket Council as an anti-corruption measure during the opening day's play of the first Test against England at Lord's on Thursday.

Although there is no suggestion of impropriety, that Pakistan's Asad Shafiq and Babar Azam were seen wearing what appeared to be 'smart watches' concerned the ICC.

Cricket's global governing body has now instructed Pakistan against wearing the watches in a bid to avoid any indication whatsoever of possible wrongdoing.

Pakistan ended the first day of this two-match series well-placed at 1-50 after bowling England out for 184.

"I didn't know earlier that anyone was wearing one (a smart watch)," Pakistan's Hasan Ali, who took 4-51, told reporters following the close of play.

"But yes, an ICC anti-corruption officer came to us and told us this is not allowed. So next time nobody will wear them."

Such devices are not expressly prohibited by the ICC but they have to be disabled in order to comply with anti-corruption regulations.

In a bid to combat financial malpractice in cricket, players and match officials must hand over their mobile phones – and other devices capable of electronic transmission – before play to the appointed ICC anti-corruption officer present at every major international match.

The devices are returned after stumps.

An ICC spokesman told the ESPN: "Apple watches in any way connected to a phone/WiFi or in any way capable of receiving comms (communications) such as messages, are not allowed.

"In effect, it is considered a phone unless 'disabled' and just a watch."

As well as telling the time, such watches, when disabled, are also used for the equally legitimate purpose of recording fitness data.

Lord's was the venue where three Pakistan players, including Mohammad Amir, who is playing in this match, were involved in a spot-fixing scandal during a 2010 Test against England.

That led an English court to sentence Amir, fellow pace bowler Mohammad Asif and Salman Butt, Pakistan's captain in that match, to jail terms, with the trio also given five-year worldwide bans from cricket by the ICC.

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/pak...r-azam-highlights-lords-first-test/2018-05-25

TheParraboy

Staff member
Pak lead by 166 with 2 wickets left, and 3 days left. Probably would like a bit more but very much in the box seat.

Poms will need to bat all day today, and couple of sessions day 4 to have any chance - goodluck. Pakistan victory on its way.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Pak lead by 166 with 2 wickets left, and 3 days left. Probably would like a bit more but very much in the box seat.

Poms will need to bat all day today, and couple of sessions day 4 to have any chance - goodluck. Pakistan victory on its way.
Put your money on England folks:yum:.

A real team effort from Pakistan. Babar Azam with a fractured forearm retired hurt on 68. Won't bat in the 2nd innings.

Tommy Smith

Referee
We are dogshit.

Worst English batting line up in my lifetime.

Usman Afzhal was David Gower when compared to these blokes.