What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

betcats

Referee
Realistically both Tamou and RCG have pathetic stats among that class of front rower. Klemmer gets through nearly as much as them combined.

The upside for RCG is he is likely coming off the bench for NSW and he fires up in rep games. Fittler will want him coming on bending the line with every run and hitting Queensland aggressively in every tackle.

If he doesnt do that I imagine his rep career could be shorter than Merrin and Tamous were.

I disagree, I think he is a much better player this season than last season. He is a much bigger loss for us right now than Merrin or Tamou.

MrBlack

Juniors
Would be interested to see the stats for Mark Geyer when he played for us. I'm sure his metres would not be very big, nor his defensive work rate. But in saying that he won us a lot of games.

martielang

Bench
I disagree, I think he is a much better player this season than last season. He is a much bigger loss for us right now than Merrin or Tamou.

RCG? Can't agree. He's a part of a pack dominating so he's without doubt doing his job but i don't think he's been anywhere near last years form.

His stats this year probably also shows how much harder it is to start rather than come off the bench.

franklin2323

Immortal
RCG? Can't agree. He's a part of a pack dominating so he's without doubt doing his job but i don't think he's been anywhere near last years form.

His stats this year probably also shows how much harder it is to start rather than come off the bench.

That is the main thing here. Playing longer minutes off the bench last year so stats read better

franklin2323

Immortal
Does anyone think that Tamou has been playing better footy than RCG this year? Because the stats suggest he has been lol. RCG brings so much more to a team than stats, honestly you guys watch every week, neither merrin or tamou impact our games like RCG has been.

The article yesterday about woods stats is the first suggestion from anyone anywhere that ive seen that RCG isn't easily the first prop picked.

Stats say Maloney can't defend so they won't pick him. Why wouldn't the same work here?

age.s

First Grade
He certainly is the future. And I'd find a place for Ponga in the team. But not at the expense of the last member of the big 4.

They did it last year. Backfired massively and they got trounced in game 1. Cronk/Thurston/Smith is enough damage. I don't think they will make the same mistake again.

I also think its a slight disservice to Slater to say that Ponga is simply playing better. If he is then Slater isn't far behind, I think he has been outstanding this year.

It'd be more if they're willing to tank this series to improve the next one. They're very unlikely to win this year imo, Slater or otherwise.

I agree Slater's having a good year. I'd have him behind Ponga (who's got far less support) but I agree it's at least arguable.

betcats

Referee

He is leading a pack that is dominating, not just being a part of it. None of our forwards ever rack up big metres, Merrin used to in 2016 but since the work load is being shared around much more. We play differently, we use our edge a lot and we have a very deep forward pack atm. Our middle forward rotation could be 6 or 7 deep if we wanted.

betcats

Referee
Stats say Maloney can't defend so they won't pick him. Why wouldn't the same work here?

My point is anyone who has been paying attention(watching him) outside of a couple posters on the panthers forum think he is one of the best props in the game right now and in career best form. Every week I watch the energy and effort he brings and and the way he leads our young forwards around and I think the same. In any sport there a lot of intangibles that certain players bring that often go unnoticed because they don't show up in the stats, RCG is definitely one of those.

franklin2323

Immortal
My point is anyone who has been paying attention(watching him) outside of a couple posters on the panthers forum think he is one of the best props in the game right now and in career best form. Every week I watch the energy and effort he brings and and the way he leads our young forwards around and I think the same. In any sport there a lot of intangibles that certain players bring that often go unnoticed because they don't show up in the stats, RCG is definitely one of those.

I get that. Brandy and Freddy always watch us and would see the non stat things.

OldPanther

Coach

Go to r/nrl and you'll see a lot of people against RCG. I dare say a lot of non Panthers fans are due to the stats.

Stats don't always show the full picture. It often overlooks physicality of the player when he hits the line or hits in defence. That only shows up if the opposition forwards are garbage.
Give me a hard hitting RCG any day of the week that hits the ball up hard than a powder puff that doesn't bend the line.

betcats

Referee
Stats don't always show the full picture. It often overlooks physicality of the player when he hits the line or hits in defence. That only shows up if the opposition forwards are garbage.
Give me a hard hitting RCG any day of the week that hits the ball up hard than a powder puff that doesn't bend the line.

Yep the intensity in which he always plays just stands out when you watch him. He is someone who lifts players around him and does all the one percenters like kick pressure and chase, and jumping off the line defensively whereas last year in origin our two starting props(woods and fifi) both got caught walking with hands on hips 10 metres off our own try line while Jarrod Wallace ran right past them both scooped up a loose ball and fell over the try line. Guys like RCG would never do that.

unKwn

Juniors
Yep the intensity in which he always plays just stands out when you watch him. He is someone who lifts players around him and does all the one percenters like kick pressure and chase, and jumping off the line defensively whereas last year in origin our two starting props(woods and fifi) both got caught walking with hands on hips 10 metres off our own try line while Jarrod Wallace ran right past them both scooped up a loose ball and fell over the try line. Guys like RCG would never do that.
yes exactly, things that numbers can't depict.

mxlegend99

Referee
Ahh stats are bad now because they look bad on a favourite... Though weren't when they looked good to bag out Tamou. Makes sense
Stats say none of our forwards should be there. Well none of the eligible ones.

Honestly if Fifita had picked NSW. MclLean was fit. Throw in Klemmer and Vaughan. It would be a hard sell fitting RCG in on current form too. He's playing well with his aggression and intencity.. but his workrate isnt at the level they look for in rep forwards.

Hopefully a NSW jersey brings it back. Because we need more of his beastly runs.

Stats say none of our forwards should be there. Well none of the eligible ones.

Honestly if Fifita had picked NSW. MclLean was fit. Throw in Klemmer and Vaughan. It would be a hard sell fitting RCG in on current form too. He's playing well with his aggression and intencity.. but his workrate isnt at the level they look for in rep forwards.

Hopefully a NSW jersey brings it back. Because we need more of his beastly runs.
Fifita is the best prop in the world and a massive loss