What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sin Bin

MilkShark

First Grade
This sounds wrong. I think it would be 10mins of game time once the play restarts. Sure, the player must be off the field for the game to restart. But if anything was delaying the restart, the sin bin clock wouldn’t start until play resumed
Probably right but generally play resumes once the player is off the field. I thought that was why players stop before the line and pretend to tie their shoe laces. etc?

2010Dragons

Bench
The soft cock NRL referees need to dictate the terms.

Three step solution.
  1. Referee sends a player to the sin bin.
  2. Award the penalty
  3. Then restart the game immediately. ***

If the sin bin player interferes or gets involved with the game after the referee has instructed the player to leave the field of play then the player is automatically sent off and remains of the field for the duration of game.

MilkShark

First Grade
Orrrrrrrr, every time a team concedes 5 penalties that team loses 1 interchange and player sent for 10. 10 penalties you lose another interchange and player sent for 10.

Saint Doc

Coach
Probably right but generally play resumes once the player is off the field. I thought that was why players stop before the line and pretend to tie their shoe laces. etc?

I think it’s more to prevent play restarting, giving time for their teammates to regroup. To use a ridiculous example though, if McLean was sin binned when McKinnon did his injury, and left the field straight away, it’s not like he would come back on for the next play having served his 10mins during the delay getting Alex off the field. Therefore the sin bin timer must start when play resumes, not as he crosses the line

MilkShark

First Grade
I think it’s more to prevent play restarting, giving time for their teammates to regroup. To use a ridiculous example though, if McLean was sin binned when McKinnon did his injury, and left the field straight away, it’s not like he would come back on for the next play having served his 10mins during the delay getting Alex off the field. Therefore the sin bin timer must start when play resumes, not as he crosses the line
Good point.

Barkley

Bench
It’s starting to look a little Topballish in here. Quick someone send out the Boon signal.

Reactions: Vee

thorson1987

Coach
Someone said this yesterday and I can’t recall who, so sorry for plageurising whoever it was. But they said add whatever time it takes them to get off the field to their bin time. Take 30seconds? 10mins 30 seconds in the bin for you. Players would soon start sprinting off

Think I saw @madunit post something similar on twitter.

Perth Red

Post Whore
On last nights game has there ever been a bigger penalty square up? Either both teams had dramatic 1/2 time turn aroundd in their disciplines or the refs went out of the way to square up the penalty count.

Burwood

Bench
The soft c**k NRL referees need to dictate the terms.

Three step solution.
  1. Referee sends a player to the sin bin.
  2. Award the penalty
  3. Then restart the game immediately. ***

If the sin bin player interferes or gets involved with the game after the referee has instructed the player to leave the field of play then the player is automatically sent off and remains of the field for the duration of game.

Melbourne would love that:

1. Slater earns a penalty
2. He goes for the quick tap and runs straight at the penalised player
3. Penalised player gets sent to sin bin
4. Player makes their way off ground
5. Slater runs 40m backwards and towards the sideline in order to make contact with sin binned player as they make their way off the ground
6. Player is now sent off

2010Dragons

Bench
Melbourne would love that:

1. Slater earns a penalty
2. He goes for the quick tap and runs straight at the penalised player
3. Penalised player gets sent to sin bin
4. Player makes their way off ground
5. Slater runs 40m backwards and towards the sideline in order to make contact with sin binned player as they make their way off the ground
6. Player is now sent off
You are a stooge.
Only If the sin bin player deliberately gets involved.
If silly billy tries that stunt. It would constitute a scrum or penalty to the defending team.

ReddFelon

Juniors
My idea was a bit more extreme.

They have 15 seconds to get off the field, otherwise they are sent off and get an automatic 1 week suspension for a professional foul.

I see no issue here. Players gets to the nearest sideline and off the field within 15 or it's a send off.

Lambretta

First Grade
Can anybody put any light on when the sin bin time actually starts?

When it is given?

When the player is off the field of play?

When he disappears down the tunnel?

Judging by the Manly game, it was from the time of the offence
Took him 2 minutes to get off the field, spent 8 minutes OFF the field and hey presto - 10 minute sin bin.

Why all the fuss about 8 minutes....

(it's from the time play resumes after they leave the pitch)

siv

First Grade
A interchange sin bin card should be used with the NRL interchange official as a means for a player to re-enter the field of play