What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I agree with this. The problem I see with Arthur is he takes him too long to identify weaknesses and make/attempt to make changes. Be it roster, tactics or otherwise.

Simple thing being taking penalty shots. It was apparent after round one that it was an effective tactic with the slew of penalties being dished out. We did start taking shots at goal until recently, if we even have..

Captains make the decision on penalties, not the coaches. If the captain wants to take a tap they'll take the tap regardless of what the coach says.

Djay

Juniors
Weeks 1-3 we didn’t have Gutherson or Williams, and King was still being rewarded for last year's form. Hayne and Evans were both injured during the round 3 game. Plus the Manly flogging proved we had some attitude issues at the start of the year, unless you think they're a 50 point better team than we are.

We have since fixed our attitude and now have other issues affecting our form, not least of which is our high injury toll.
I’m struggling to comprehend how having no Gutherson or Williams is still an excuse? Like seriously come on, The Panthers didn’t have Cleary for 7 weeks and have never fielded a full team all year and they aren’t coming last or making excuses.

Other issues have arisen simply because we are a long way off where we need to be to be competitive in this comp, that is not because we’ve had bad luck, that is because we were clearly not prepared right and we still have some severe mental frailties.Its life and we simply have not coped with it for 32 years, yes winning a comp involves luck but you also make your own at the same time and we quite frankly suck at it.

At the end of the day we’ve had 17 decent enough players on the field each and every week to be better then 2 and 9 and we simply don’t deserve anymore then we have gotten, we are where we are for a reason and that reason is not just “bad luck” and “injuries”, we’ve had bad luck for 32 years there comes a time where we need to stand up and be accountable and until the club does that we will never move forward.

EelsFan05

Bench
Captains make the decision on penalties, not the coaches. If the captain wants to take a tap they'll take the tap regardless of what the coach says.
So why do you see all the players looking the the trainer with the walkie talkie to see if the are indicating to take the two? Or am I imagining that?

Eelogical

Referee
So why do you see all the players looking the the trainer with the walkie talkie to see if the are indicating to take the two? Or am I imagining that?
They're probably putting their post game dinner orders in. I'd be hungry too after making 80 extra tackles.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree with this. The problem I see with Arthur is he takes him too long to identify weaknesses and make/attempt to make changes. Be it roster, tactics or otherwise.
Oh f**k off. Every weakness is potentially a strength as well, so it's never cut and dried. We have a weaker squad without Edwards. He has been one of our best attacking players during his time at the club, and we are already short on healthy ones. Norman is another of our key attacking players. These two might have been net positives as well until recently, given the makeup of the rest of the squad. In 2016 when Norman was re-signed he was far less likely to have been a senior figure in our group, and therefore less influential. Edwards was only in his third season in first grade too. Other merkins might've been keeping these merkins in line back then. Plus Moses has since come into the team as a key player and he might be having clashes with either or both of them.

Don't pretend any changes made should've been done a long time ago, as though you knew something all along. Until this year we won plenty of games, and Edwards and Norman were a big part of that.
Simple thing being taking penalty shots. It was apparent after round one that it was an effective tactic with the slew of penalties being dished out. We did start taking shots at goal until recently, if we even have..
Agreed on the penalties, but I believe Arthur likes to put his trust in his decision makers on the field. After all, it has been working for a couple of years.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I’m struggling to comprehend how having no Gutherson or Williams is still an excuse? Like seriously come on, The Panthers didn’t have Cleary for 7 weeks and have never fielded a full team all year and they aren’t coming last or making excuses.
Cleary is one f**king player. The Panthers have had eight players appear in every game this year. Two more have appeared in ten of the eleven games. Two more have played nine games.

We have had five players play every game, none have played in ten games. Two others have only missed two games.

So Penrith have had 12 players to have played at least nine games (to pick an arbitrary number) this year. We have had seven.
Other issues have arisen simply because we are a long way off where we need to be to be competitive in this comp, that is not because we’ve had bad luck, that is because we were clearly not prepared right and we still have some severe mental frailties.Its life and we simply have not coped with it for 32 years, yes winning a comp involves luck but you also make your own at the same time and we quite frankly suck at it.
You're overstating how poor our squad is at full strength. We won 16 games last year, and lost a winger and an edge forward. We replaced them with a two time Dally M winning outside back, a prop and an edge forward.

Blaming our forwards (who were good enough last year) or the loss of a winger (who constantly turned over the ball anyway) is just merkins grasping for answers or worse, trying to shoehorn their agenda in anywhere they can make it fit.

Bazal

Post Whore
I still think we should have a look at Isaako. Hopefully we are.

Would like to have him at Parra but I think Brisbane will definitely keep him.

Opacic would be the one I'd look at as well. With Isaako and Oates off contract a guy like Opacic might just slip through the net

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

No you aren't imagining that but the coach isn't making the on-field decision, that's still down to the captain on the field.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Opacic would be the one I'd look at as well. With Isaako and Oates off contract a guy like Opacic might just slip through the net

Plus they have Gehamat Shebasaki who has had some wraps since playing 20s. But do we need Opacic? He's 25 next year and has played 19 games since 2016. I'd rather we give that spot in the 30 to Dane Aukafolau who has been playing very well in the ISP this season.