What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y.N.W.A Thread III: Enter 'The Normal One'

DC80

Juniors
With all due respect DC your understanding of the situation is a little misguided.

Butland is not an upgrade, he is being signed to give Karius competition. The reason for this is three-fold, firstly being that Mignolet is shit, secondly that he is trying to leave anyway, and thirdly that Ward can't do it because he wants to leave too. If LFC had a good opportunity to sign a world class upgrade then I think they'd pursue it, but it appears that trying to sign Alisson is too difficult. So the next best solution is to keep with Karius at no.1 and hopefully see him improve and develop more.

It was good that Klopp waited around for VVD, but he can't exactly do that again this time because there isn't any world class GK out there waiting and praying to sign for us like VVD did, so it's not as if he's deserting his principles.
Butland would cost a fortune - upwards of a 50 million rip off I’ve heard quoted - no way do we spend that amount on a keeper just to give Karius competition. For that money he goes straight in...thankfully (and hopefully it remains this way) the link with him has gone cold. He had a shocking performance the game after he was linked with us.

Oblak, or the AC Milan keeper, that’s the standard we should be aiming for.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

If you think you can get Donnarumma for less than 50 million you're having a laugh. Played for Italy at the age of 18 a few years back and rumoured to be replacing Buffon at Juve who just retired, for around 80 million, if he leaves Milan at all.

DC80

Juniors
If you think you can get Donnarumma for less than 50 million you're having a laugh. Played for Italy at the age of 18 a few years back and rumoured to be replacing Buffon at Juve who just retired, for around 80 million, if he leaves Milan at all.
Agree, we wouldn’t get him for that. Mentioned 50 million as that’s what Butland was being priced at, utterly scandalous and hilarious at the same time.
Try it when an LFC game kicsk-off at 2.30 am on a Sunday or, even worse, a Monday :eek:
I’d have missed school on a regular basis, or at best fell asleep if I managed to get there.

saint.nick

Coach
Butland would cost a fortune - upwards of a 50 million rip off I’ve heard quoted - no way do we spend that amount on a keeper just to give Karius competition. For that money he goes straight in...thankfully (and hopefully it remains this way) the link with him has gone cold. He had a shocking performance the game after he was linked with us.

I doubt Butland would cost that much. What bargaining power do Stoke have? They just got relegated and a player wants to leave. Liverpool hold the power.

Not sure about Oblak, has never been tested behind a high line defence.

It is all well and good aiming for high standards but there are many different variables which can prevent us from just going out and splashing on whichever world class GK we please. Trying to get any of the highly fancied goalkeepers right now is probably too much hassle for too much risk of failure, so we are going to just keep on seeing how Karius goes instead.

DC80

Juniors
GK is a very tricky position to fill. As you allude to Nick it’s very hard to judge a player in a different system...Oblak has been outstanding for Atletico, shot stopping, coming for crosses, but I’ve not seen much of him when the defence pushes up. A keeper can look better when playing in front of a great back four, which Atletico have. What I will say though is he doesn’t just make good saves, he makes unbelievable saves, saves very few keepers make...fabulous reflexes he pulls of saves from point blank range...De Gea is arguably the best at the minute in this area. Arsenal beat Atletico but for Oblak.

The Milan keeper looks as close as you can get in terms of a keeper being the real deal. He’s made errors - made one at Arsenal - but he’s far ahead of just about any gk at the age he’s at.

Butland I wouldn’t have anywhere near the conversation of prospective goalkeepers.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The Milan keeper looks as close as you can get in terms of a keeper being the real deal. He’s made errors - made one at Arsenal - but he’s far ahead of just about any gk at the age he’s at.

his value has dropped due to some errors over the last 6 months but given his age it would be acceptable imo, it would be very hard to maintain the quality he has shown at such a young age

Milan really dont want to sell but if they dont get UCL qualification soon he may be hard to keep

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Donnuramma would be a dream signing but we’d have to surpass the VVD fee easily to secure it so it’s not realistic at all.

He’s a fantastic keeper, imagine being that young and already one of the best on the planet.

I know we were interested in allison as well. He looks a player who could suit our play. Quick of the line, likes to play/pass the ball around, good shot stopper and young. Again would cost a packet as we are due some Salah tax to Roma for any player we try for from them in the future.

DC80

Juniors
That’s true...getting Salah for an absolute steal will mean Roma will ramp up the price for Allison if we come calling. Going back to the same club for a player can be tricky due to previous dealings...see how Southampton screwed around with us with VVD.

Donnuramma being Italian definitely adds a few figures onto his price tag with Italian keepers having probably the best reputation of any nation in the world.

saint.nick

Coach
That’s true...getting Salah for an absolute steal will mean Roma will ramp up the price for Allison if we come calling. Going back to the same club for a player can be tricky due to previous dealings...see how Southampton screwed around with us with VVD.

Donnuramma being Italian definitely adds a few figures onto his price tag with Italian keepers having probably the best reputation of any nation in the world.
I reckon German keepers easily contest them for that mantle

thorson1987

Coach
Holy shit I can not wait for Sunday morning.

Have to say though if we don't manage to win it, I'm still pleased with the season we have had.

Was hoping for another top 4 finish and just to get out of the group stages, so to make the final has well and truly exceeded my expectations.

Have to say though if we don't manage to win it, I'm still pleased with the season we have had.

Was hoping for another top 4 finish and just to get out of the group stages, so to make the final has well and truly exceeded my expectations.
Coward talk, man the f**k up

DC80

Juniors
I reckon German keepers easily contest them for that mantle

Probably is between those two.

I’d have Italy edging it for the sheer volume they have produced.

Just after Walter Zenga at Italia 90 World Cup they had a crazy amount of world class goalkeepers. Sebastiano Rossi, the man who kept goal for that all conquering Milan team, could barely get a look in for the national team. He was behind

Peruzzi, at Juventus
Pagliuca, at Sampdoria
Marchegiani, at Lazio
Toldo, at Fiorentina

Then Buffon arrived, and took over the spot.

Can’t ever see such a plethora of world class gk be produced by one nation at the same time. Tough on Marchegiani, but he is probably best remembered for being left on his backside by Ronaldo.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Immortal

Good look la ;)

DC80

Juniors
Was numb at full time, but then came to the realisation the better team won, or to be more specific, the much better central midfield won.

Our defence was outstanding, the front three are world class but they were starved of possession. Much blame will be pointed st Karius, and yes he’s clearly not good enough for us, but Madrid were controlling/dictating the game from midfield. Modric, Kroos and Isco vs Hendo, Milner and Wijnaldum (Gini the best of our three)...that’s a mismatch. Soon as Mo went off we were done, as we rely on quick breaks down the flanks...there’s very little creativity from the centre.

Said to my old man yesterday that this was a career defining game for Henderson. His moment when he could finally “make it”...but he’s way short of the standard required. His effort is top class, he’s also a fantastic fella. You couldn’t dislike him. But at this level, coming up against that opposition, he’s a notch below. Alonso, Gerrard, Hamann..that was our midfield three when we last won this. The gulf between that and now is vast.

Keita coming is a huge upgrade on what we have, and he will be #8...the deep sitting midfielder who makes penetrating runs and passes. Fekir (who could well be joining too) would be Coutinho’s replacement as the #10, the provider for the front three. Both those players will provide much better service through the middle to the three upfront. Who the third midfielder will be I don’t know. It’s usually a defensive midfielder, a #6, which we don’t have.

Klopp has done a phenomenal job to get us tp a to a CL final already. We’ve overachieved. We clearly are not the finished product. The step up in quality of midfield that we will see next season (plus a quality goalkeeper) will push us much closer.

Onwards and upwards lads.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Just woke up after staying up all night to watch it... we gave it a crack but Real were definitely the better team and even though it came on be back of two howlers they deserved their win.

Feel for Karius, although never a long term solution he has been pretty good for the most past this season imo. The Benzema mistake must have played on his mind because the second one was just embarrassing, he just completely lost the plot on that play.

Pretty much agree with everything DC80 says, Before the start of the game I looked at the squads and on paper and there is a massive gulf in class.. only Salah would make Madrid’s first 11. Our midfield needs a real injection of quality.

saint.nick

Coach
Was numb at full time, but then came to the realisation the better team won, or to be more specific, the much better central midfield won.

Our defence was outstanding, the front three are world class but they were starved of possession. Much blame will be pointed st Karius, and yes he’s clearly not good enough for us, but Madrid were controlling/dictating the game from midfield. Modric, Kroos and Isco vs Hendo, Milner and Wijnaldum (Gini the best of our three)...that’s a mismatch. Soon as Mo went off we were done, as we rely on quick breaks down the flanks...there’s very little creativity from the centre.

Said to my old man yesterday that this was a career defining game for Henderson. His moment when he could finally “make it”...but he’s way short of the standard required. His effort is top class, he’s also a fantastic fella. You couldn’t dislike him. But at this level, coming up against that opposition, he’s a notch below. Alonso, Gerrard, Hamann..that was our midfield three when we last won this. The gulf between that and now is vast.

Keita coming is a huge upgrade on what we have, and he will be #8...the deep sitting midfielder who makes penetrating runs and passes. Fekir (who could well be joining too) would be Coutinho’s replacement as the #10, the provider for the front three. Both those players will provide much better service through the middle to the three upfront. Who the third midfielder will be I don’t know. It’s usually a defensive midfielder, a #6, which we don’t have.

Klopp has done a phenomenal job to get us tp a to a CL final already. We’ve overachieved. We clearly are not the finished product. The step up in quality of midfield that we will see next season (plus a quality goalkeeper) will push us much closer.

Onwards and upwards lads.
I agree with most of that.

The thing is that despite that gulf in class, Madrid were still there for the taking, and we were outplaying them until Salah went off. Still could have even won if it were not for Karius and Bale. Tactically Zidane is way below Klopp and that did offset the superior quality Madrid had on paper.