What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

V Panthers

ALSGI

Bench

getsmarty

Immortal
latimorej-18031551.jpg

TEAM LISTS

24-hour warning: Round 12 v Panthers
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 25 May 2018, 07:38 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has trimmed his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' top of the table clash against Penrith on Saturday night at Panthers Stadium.

Hame Sele and Luciano Leilua are the two players to drop out of the squad, with them both set to line-up against the Newcastle Knights for the ISP Dragons on Sunday afternoon.

Sele and Leilua's omissions follow Zac Lomax's hand injury suffered at training on Wednesday.

See the latest on Lomax in the latest SMAI High Performance update.

The NRL granted the club approval to replace Lomax in the Dragons' NRL squad on Thursday ahead of the Panthers game.

Reuben Garrick was Lomax's replacement as a result and remains in the squad alongside Reece Robson.

NRL squad for Round 12 v Penrith Panthers:

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Nene Macdonald – sponsored by Relativity in the Loop
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Jason Nightingale – sponsored by SMAI
6. Gareth Widdop (c) – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Destination Wollongong
13. Jack de Belin – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Addbuild Additions
15. Kurt Mann – sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
16. Leeson Ah Mau – sponsored by Westfund
17. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Reece Robson
22. Reuben Garrick

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/05/25/24-hour-warning-round-12-v-panthers/

Dragons 09

Juniors
Great interview. He's got a bit of swagger about him ol mary.
Love the confidence.
Can't wait for him to raise the premiership trophy on grand final day!

I have to give it to you mate, you're fishing has improved considerably over recent times.;)

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons out to rubber-stamp credentials in top of the table showdown
Dragons Den News
r0_0_3074_2049_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

PICTURE: AAP Image

PREMIERSHIPS aren’t won in May. If they were, St George Illawarra could well have had a couple in the past few seasons.

It’s why, even with the arrival of Ben Hunt and James Graham, many tipped them to only scrape into the top eight this season – some weren’t even willing to go that far.

It’s also why some people look at the fact they’re leading the competition with skepticism, expecting the bubble to eventually burst.

Coach Paul McGregor has heard all the talk, but insists his side’s status as table-toppers is hard won.

“Everyone’s got to talk about something and they’re talking about that,” McGregor said ahead of Saturday’s blockbuster clash with the second-placed Panthers.

“They’ve been talking about it for a while now. Before a ball was kicked, a lot of experts had us not in the top eight or around the top eight between eighth and 12th.

“To be sitting at the top of the ladder going into round 12 is good. The competition’s not finished, we know that, but it’s a good start.

“We’ve played nine of 11 games against teams that are currently in the top eight so every week’s a challenge. This week’s the hardest one thus far against the team that's coming second.

“Statistically we match up pretty well, in front of a full house, we’re looking forward to it.”

They may be yet to fully silence the skeptics, but McGregor’s men have firmed into premiership favouritism with the punters since Storm coach Craig Bellamy dubbed them the benchmark in round nine.

McGregor jokingly passed on the tag to the Rabbitohs after his side’s loss to the Bunnies a week later, but there’s no doubt the Dragons have become the competition’s hunted team.

It presents a new week to week test, but one McGregor is confident his side is up to.

“It’s a different challenge for sure,” he said.

“We’re looking to improve every week and we’re not complacent about anything. The NRL is unforgiving and if you’re off a little bit you get hurt.

“We know that teams are going to get up for us because we’re leading the competition, but we don’t change our approach and our process of what we do.

“We’ve got knowledge of the opposition, they’ve got knowledge of us and, when the two teams go at it on the day, it’s whoever brings their best that wins.

“We’re fully aware that Penrith will bring their best on Saturday night and we’ve just got to better than them. They’re going well, there’s no hiding that. It’s one v two and rightly so.

“We know we need to play good solid game for 80 minutes to get over a very good football team.”

With as many as 12 Origin hopefuls in action, plenty of fans – and certainly NSW coach Brad Fittler – have pitched the clash as a group audition for a Blues jumper.

The Dragons have seven players in contention, but McGregor said he hasn’t felt the need to address it with his side.

“Everyone’s got to be an individual in how they do things and certainly everyone’s got a different approach to it,” McGregor said.

“Cam’s [McInnes] one who doesn’t read papers and doesn’t look at social media so that’s his approach and that’s great.

“Then you get others who come out and say ‘yeah I’m ready’ and that’s backing themselves so I like that as well.

“Neither one is right or wrong, it’s just what they feel strongly about. You let them go at that and, as a coach, you just make sure it doesn’t get out of control.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...entials-in-top-of-the-table-showdown/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
Tight game. Some great match ups. My concern is our right edge defence(where have I heard that before)& bench use. I’m expecting a hard fought win off the back of being able to stay in the game despite not playing our best.
Go Saints.
Well Mary and his coaching staff have much better sight than the Possm, so surely they can see what is our weak-link on the right edge. Is it shear stubbiness or a sense of ignorance. Or is it that they just don't care at this stage of the season. For me it is very frustrating.

Drag Queen

Bench
Tight game. Some great match ups. My concern is our right edge defence(where have I heard that before)& bench use. I’m expecting a hard fought win off the back of being able to stay in the game despite not playing our best.
Go Saints.
Hubs has invited his sister and family over tonight. Would it be rude to sneak off for a couple of hours?? I think not. Go Dragons!

ouryears

Bench
Well Mary and his coaching staff have much better sight than the Possm, so surely they can see what is our weak-link on the right edge. Is it shear stubbiness or a sense of ignorance. Or is it that they just don't care at this stage of the season. For me it is very frustrating.
I think it's to keep our games close, so we don't blow the other teams off the park.

Our own mercy rule

Life's Good

Coach
You’re not alone there unfortunately.

ouryears

Bench
Kikau, Fisher-Harris and Peach all in doubt with a bout of the flu

...You wish.
Mate we want to play a full strength team so we can ruin the myth that Goulds 20 year plan might eventuate.

And to make you understand it will be back to the drawing board for you.

And to revitalise your Sack Griffin thread!

Drag Queen

Bench
Kikau, Fisher-Harris and Peach all in doubt with a bout of the flu

...You wish.
Not good if that's the case. Man flu or the real deal? Either way, I hope everyone on both teams have had their flu-vax shot this year. Same for the rest of the posters on here. I think they got the combo right this year if predictions are correct.

Latest posts