What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ownership of being wrong thread 2018

tripster

Juniors
I tend to agree. Hook and his team have so far done a great job, especially when you consider the large injury toll too.

You mighten like the bloke, but to accuse him of being useless is just plain 'crazy talk'.

The longer Hook has been with us, the more I have come understand (or at least, theorise, because I cannot be certain) why Gould hired him. I think his strength is in developing junior players into strong first graders (as well as discipline, fitness and defence, which are probably all related together).

Hook refers to Penrith, from time to time, as a ‘development club’, and that is exactly what we are. Due to the TPA system we can’t compete with a club like the Roosters and simply purchase a star studded roster in order to be competitive and win titles.

If we are ever to be a shot of winning a premiership with the way the NRL is currently structured our only hope is to develop our best juniors into star first graders and keep them at the club during the period when they are signed with us for less than their true market value (or have them desire to stay with us for less than their true market value). We are best placed to do this because we have such a huge junior base to draw from compared to other clubs. In other words, it is in this area where we can actually have an advantage over other clubs.

However, in order to execute on that strategy we need a coach who excels at converting the best of our junior players into excellent first graders. That needs to be the coach,s strenth above all else, and I think that is where Hook’s strength absolutely lies. Look at how well our young guys have been debuting, developing and starting to excel under him. It is plainly evident that he is doing an excellent job in this area.

He might not be good at everything, such as coaching attack, but who cares if other staff get involved to handle that? Does anyone think Bellamy at the Storm achieved what he has achieved all on his own - absolutely not - look at the number of people in the coaches box with him every game (in fact, you can see, even on the Storm website, the number of coaching staff the Storm has is enormous)

franklin2323

Immortal
My turn. I've maintained since the day Ivan was declared to be too tired that Hook would never coach a side to a premiership. I still think he has a lot of shortcomings, but I'm starting to think that he has the most important quality a coach can have. The ability to make his players believe. If he can somehow learn to coach a few set plays and get them switched on for eighty minutes we will be very difficult to beat.

TBH I'd rather him stay away from our attack. Leave it too Ciraldo and Gus to do

franklin2323

Immortal
The longer Hook has been with us, the more I have come understand (or at least, theorise, because I cannot be certain) why Gould hired him. I think his strength is in developing junior players into strong first graders (as well as discipline, fitness and defence, which are probably all related together).

Hook refers to Penrith, from time to time, as a ‘development club’, and that is exactly what we are. Due to the TPA system we can’t compete with a club like the Roosters and simply purchase a star studded roster in order to be competitive and win titles.

If we are ever to be a shot of winning a premiership with the way the NRL is currently structured our only hope is to develop our best juniors into star first graders and keep them at the club during the period when they are signed with us for less than their true market value (or have them desire to stay with us for less than their true market value). We are best placed to do this because we have such a huge junior base to draw from compared to other clubs. In other words, it is in this area where we can actually have an advantage over other clubs.

However, in order to execute on that strategy we need a coach who excels at converting the best of our junior players into excellent first graders. That needs to be the coach,s strenth above all else, and I think that is where Hook’s strength absolutely lies. Look at how well our young guys have been debuting, developing and starting to excel under him. It is plainly evident that he is doing an excellent job in this area.

He might not be good at everything, such as coaching attack, but who cares if other staff get involved to handle that? Does anyone think Bellamy at the Storm achieved what he has achieved all on his own - absolutely not - look at the number of people in the coaches box with him every game (in fact, you can see, even on the Storm website, the number of coaching staff the Storm has is enormous)

One year the Storm had Dean Pay and Brad Arthur as assistants. Now both head coaches throw in 3 300 gamers in the spine. He has had plenty of help.

The good thing is too. A successful hook pisses off Broncos fans another benefit there

mxlegend99

Referee
Come on mate release that bad energy you will feel better.
If half a season makes Hook good. Mary and Kearney get credit for being good too. What sort of alternate universe would that be?

Gus and Ciraldo are having a bigger role in helping Hook this year. All play their part and I think Gus has just found a structure that works. We have the best coaching staff as a whole. Led by our fitness and conditioning which is second to none.

cain3y

Juniors
If half a season makes Hook good. Mary and Kearney get credit for being good too. What sort of alternate universe would that be?

Gus and Ciraldo are having a bigger role in helping Hook this year. All play their part and I think Gus has just found a structure that works. We have the best coaching staff as a whole. Led by our fitness and conditioning which is second to none.
No probs mate each to their own. I suspect one of us will be back here to confess our sins at the end of the year and i have no problems to admit when I'm wrong.

mxlegend99

Referee
No probs mate each to their own. I suspect one of us will be back here to confess our sins at the end of the year and i have no problems to admit when I'm wrong.
Well if we get knocked out of the finals week 3 or lost a grand final it really wouldn't mean anyone was wrong.

Short of going out in straight losses or winning the comp theres room for nobody to be wrong. But for mine we need to give a payrise to our conditioning staff. Our guys just never look tired. Without this fitness we could be sitting on 2 or 3 wins.

cain3y

Juniors
Well if we get knocked out of the finals week 3 or lost a grand final it really wouldn't mean anyone was wrong.

Short of going out in straight losses or winning the comp theres room for nobody to be wrong. But for mine we need to give a payrise to our conditioning staff. Our guys just never look tired. Without this fitness we could be sitting on 2 or 3 wins.
We shall wait and see.

Kilkenny

Coach
Before a ball had been kicked in 2018 the obvious suspects wanted Hook & Gould gone. The club was on the nose they shouted.

At the mid way point of the season we seem to be travelling a little better than some on here believed we would, particularly after we let our two best players leave in Moylan & Cartwright which at the time was said to be a huge f**k up by Gus.

The performances right throught the club, not just NRL, has been outstanding to date.

Luke Bowden

First Grade

How do you know this? I have it on good authority that Gould is spending very little time at training these days.

So where do you get this from?

mxlegend99

Referee
How do you know this? I have it on good authority that Gould is spending very little time at training these days.

So where do you get this from?
The players themselves when being questioned by Kenty in the lead up to Round 1.

Trent Merrin and RCG on NRL360 I think it was. When Cleary was injured Hook even admitted to sitting down with Maloney and talking about how he thought we should proceed without him. I dont think we have ever done that with a player since Gus arrived. I think that largely helped his form which in turn helped us. Shows a great deal of respect and belief in a player.

This year has an all hands on deck vibe. Something that couldnt be done with a coach like Hasler or Maguire.

mxlegend99

Referee
Here's an article about the interview. Ive copied specifically what I am referring to.

There’s also been suggestions Gould is actually coaching the team and has pushed Griffin to the side.

Paul Kent put that to the Penrith players on Monday night’s program.

Campbell-Gillard answered the questioned without confirming or denying the claim.

“Gus is a massive influence in rugby league and for us. He’s in training nearly every day helping us,” Campbell-Gillard said.

“Full credit to Hook, he’s there learning from Gus and all the experience he’s had, so I think it’s been really healthy for our club.”
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/191c49b304f7a868e39ec27dcacd374f

Doesnt specifically say what the roles are. But the players confirmed the reports Gould and Ciraldo were more involved.

Whatever it was or is has been working so far. Maybe Gould has taken a step back since then.

So long as results are coming we dont need to change what we are doing. Although I hope we have plans for something extra special come finals time.

Gus has in the past come up with blueprints to beat specific teams. I hope we have something saved for finals. Specifically the Storm if we face them.

Abacus

Juniors

Except Hook has the last 2 years' finals under his belt. But whatever, please continue your drivel.

Latest posts