What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mid year review

phenisha

Juniors
At the start of the year, if you told me we would be 2 wins of first, in the top eight, i would be stoked.

7 and 5.

second best defence.

fourth worst attack.

Though i think the better teams are playing better than us, we have been in most games until the end. so that is a positive over last few years where the season was over by this point.

I rate our season a B so far.

probably will finish 9th knowing our luck by the end of the year. but with a bit of good recruiting we should be in a better place. next year.

Thoughts?

Tiger05

First Grade
It's been about a B. We have outperformed but it's clear we have some issues in our team if we want to become a top team. Our defence has improved heaps and even our attack has had it's moments.

We've had plenty of good performers but some poor ones or inconsistent players as well. I think Brooks, Thompson & Lawrence have been our best throughout the season with Brooks probably the stand out. There have been some good performances from Fonua, Benji & Marsters. Matulino, Packer and Reynolds have been average but there are some good signs from them.

It just seems we have to be a bit more consistent throughout the games. We are hanging in games and winning but sometimes we look the better team and we don't capitalise on that.

Clifferd

Coach
Our defence A+ (2nd best in comp)

Attack about C-

If our defence wasn’t as good as it was we’d probably be sitting around 2 or 3rd last

So overall it balances to around a B

A 'B' for me overall.
A+ for defence and
C for attack.

We will never ever know but we did lose Reynolds at the start of the year and I do believe that he was going to be the starting 5/8, whilst we lost nothing in those opening 6 rounds (that many experts said we wouldn't win one) with Marshall, I wonder how our attack would have gone with Reynolds from the start.

It's not like the backs are duds with ball in hand, they just lack that something, is it size? are some of them over awed by Benji (glad Brooks isn't)?

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Considering the past couple of years, the dramas, player turnover etc and that this year was just going to be rebuilding, I think we are going much better than expected. We are definitely going in the right direction and will continue to improve.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Looking at the table there’s a 4 point gap between 9th and 10th. The knights in 11th are -132 which is like being behind another game. I think 11th-16th are done for the year. Even the raiders in 10th have a horror draw to end the year and only play 2 teams below them.

So really unless there’s an insane run from a lower placed team it’s already down to 9 for the final 8.

We’ve put ourselves in a great position and whatever happens exceeded expectations. Hopefully we’ll be making 2-3 real good signings for next year, if so top 4 should be the aim.

Clifferd

Coach
Looking at the table there’s a 4 point gap between 9th and 10th. The knights in 11th are -132 which is like being behind another game. I think 11th-16th are done for the year. Even the raiders in 10th have a horror draw to end the year and only play 2 teams below them.

So really unless there’s an insane run from a lower placed team it’s already down to 9 for the final 8.

We’ve put ourselves in a great position and whatever happens exceeded expectations. Hopefully we’ll be making 2-3 real good signings for next year, if so top 4 should be the aim.

Helps we have a pretty soft draw over the next 4 weeks too. Cronulla is a tough game but they’ll have a few backing up from origin (or will they?)

Other than that most of our games are in Sydney plus 7 day+ turnarounds

Vic Mackey

Referee
Helps we have a pretty soft draw over the next 4 weeks too. Cronulla is a tough game but they’ll have a few backing up from origin (or will they?)

Other than that most of our games are in Sydney plus 7 day+ turnarounds

Roosters minus teddy, Latrell, cordner and napa

Sharks away (tough)

Raiders Campbelltown

Titans Leichhardt

All 7 days turn arounds

Then the bye

Should be aiming for 3 wins

I give us a 7/10.

We're lacking class and composure in attack however they are showing up for each other in defence even though our structure still has some chinks in the armour.

Players are getting dropped and promoted, Brooks has come on in spades, Rowdy is playing great footy most weeks.

Most importantly, we've competed on the scoreboard in almost every game this year. The guys are applying themselves for 80 minutes. When passes don't stick and errors occur they back up in defence instead of switching off like they used to.

They are a tough side and they don't give up on each other. I doubt we'll get anywhere near the big dance this year but it has already surpassed my expectations.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Roosters minus teddy, Latrell, cordner and napa

Sharks away (tough)

Raiders Campbelltown

Titans Leichhardt

All 7 days turn arounds

Then the bye

Should be aiming for 3 wins
Agree 3 wins is realistic & if we do we will give ourselves a huge opportunity to qualify for finals footy.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Packer & Matulino have been great. It is when the go off that we lose the go forward & close in defence.

It was noticeable again today.

I would try to get 40 minutes out of Packer in the 1st half, Matulino about 25.

Packer on for 1st ten in the 2nd half, Matulino back on for the rest of the game. Packer gets about 15 minutes than back on til full-time.

super_coach

First Grade
Seriously when I look at our roster I would give them A+. At the start of the year I thought they would be in a ding dong battle for the spoon. We are at a point now where we are a very competitive team against all comers. Okay I still have major doubts about us holding on to make the eight, but we are now at a point if we can add just a couple of really top shelve players we could do some serious damage in a year or two

simmo1

First Grade
Were exceeding all realistic preseason expectations - many thought we'd be 0-6 to start the year.

I'm near certain we finish 9th though.

Clifferd

Coach
I’m confident if we win our next 3/4 we will feature in finals footy. Having no origin players is a blessing

Shredder

Juniors
Is we get a little of the luck that we have given away so far this year, I see us 6-8th.

I have no question that the team can compete now. I dont get nervous when we are behind by 8 or less now. They put it on and they are doing well.

Remember, we have chopped and changed a fair bit and they are largely a new team.

A little consistency on the team and just a smidgen of luck and we make the 8.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Defence = A++
Attack = C

I made reference after two rounds on just how good the defence was and we have maintained that level right through until yesterday.

Attack is still clunky as ever although if the forwards and Liddell can get us rolling forward, and with Reynolds being able to go straight, this will benefit Brooks (and Benj) and I see us scoring more points in the 2nd half of the year.

Who would have thought that at this stage of the season one Luke Brooks is running 2nd on the Dally M awards table?

I'd give him an A++

As an aside, Benji got 2 points yesterday, his defence was good but gee, I hope he wasn't given the points for 'that pass' alone.

Clifferd

Coach
I’ve been contemplating putting a cheeky $100 @ $17 on Brooks to win Dally M

It’s a real possibility. He’s not playing origin and his main rivals atm (Maloney, Cook) will be in and out of origin, and Ponga is playing in a shitty Knights team.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Is we get a little of the luck that we have given away so far this year, I see us 6-8th.

I have no question that the team can compete now. I dont get nervous when we are behind by 8 or less now. They put it on and they are doing well.

Remember, we have chopped and changed a fair bit and they are largely a new team.

A little consistency on the team and just a smidgen of luck and we make the 8.
The next 4 matches r critical.If we win 3/4 then I’ve no doubt we will finish 6-8.However it’s more likely 8th spot will come down to either us or the warriors.Over the last 6 wks we haven’t shown enough to suggest we will make the 8 comfortably.The sides in front of us + the broncos r all very strong teams so it’s going to b a very intriguing 2nd half of the competition.Its also possible that 1 or 2 of the fancied teams like the bondi rorters or saints will implode & hence make our passage into the 8 a little easier.