What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 12 vs Sharks @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 12: Knights v Sharks

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dave_

Juniors
Pearce isn't saving this mob. Yes he would make a big difference but the problems are much bigger. Pearce may have been able to guide us to a win against the Titans but that's it.
Absolutely. We have far bigger issues than just leadership and direction. We have players who can't/don't want to tackle. We have players who don't understand defensive structuring. We have Sione ffs.

Pearce is great but he can't fix that crap.

Old dog

Juniors
So basically we have nobody? I’m not trying to make a point btw, I don’t watch reserve grade much so I was hoping we’d have a forward or two deserving of selection. I know we’re f**ked for halves and outside backs.
Reserve grade has limited TV coverage surely as a fan you would watch the games telecast to see how they are going and who is likely to step up.
Can't believe the number of so called supporters on these threads that know very little or nothing about reserve grade

Old dog

Juniors

Any of the back 5 in todays reserves, Yates, Amey, Saulo.

Why not?

Brown already said King will be back.
Of the back five Meaney was ok but first game back since Rd1, Hughes was good on wing, rest so so. Saulo didn't play reserves or u20's, injured?, Yates and Amey maybe, King and Yates were best.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Can't believe the number of so called supporters on these threads that know very little or nothing about reserve grade
Wow, that’s a bit harsh. I don’t watch our reserve grade for a number of reasons. I work shift work so sometimes I’m lucky if I get to see our 1st’s live, usually try to record the game and hope to not be spoiled with the result before I get home to see it.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
That's the worst performance from us since that 62-0 game against the sharks 2 years ago. At least back then we had an excuse though.

We are in free fall now, the honeymoon period this season is over now. I'm starting to worry that by the time Pearce is back we won't have won another game and we'll be fighting not to get the spoon again. The 2 games against Parra coming up are absolutely crucial!

macavity

Referee
That's the worst performance from us since that 62-0 game against the sharks 2 years ago. At least back then we had an excuse though.

We are in free fall now, the honeymoon period this season is over now. I'm starting to worry that by the time Pearce is back we won't have won another game and we'll be fighting not to get the spoon again. The 2 games against Parra coming up are absolutely crucial!

And Parra flogged us in the trial.

TooheysNew

Coach
I'd be happy to see what we've got. You don't know how some of them might handle it until they get a shot. Yeah I agree with the sentiment you outline but I really don't care at the moment. Give a few of them a shot.

What's the worst that can happen?? Really?

Get flogged? Again.

We were at home today on a very special occasion, the fans show up in droves and the opposition rest their number one front rower and we get belted. Matt Moylan has played like puss this year and then looked like he was on a touch footy field against us and rips us to shreds.

Nah, screw this. Give some of them a go. We lose again. So what?

At the very least it will create some interest for us. The unknown does that. Otherwise we get the predictable 17 we've had being beaten every week. We all know their weaknesses, they are evident every week and yet nothing seems to improve.
Yeah lets f**k up the next round of kids by throwing them in to first grade too early. Its worked so fantastically for us in the past.

Spot On

Coach
Yeah lets f**k up the next round of kids by throwing them in to first grade too early. Its worked so fantastically for us in the past.

Christ, what f**king planet are you on?

Allwood is 25, Yates is 23, King is 23, Naden is 22, Tyrone Amey 22, Tom Hughes is 22. You want to wait till they are 30???

Meaney and Dennis are the younger players by age. Dennis already played firsts.

Out of the entire game day thread. ..... you contribute that crap?

Brilliant work Coby.

Burwood

Bench
Players are usually dropped for one of two reasons. Firstly, they’re underperforming/coasting along and need some time in the lower grade to build up their confidence and work on a few areas. Secondly, they’re forced out by a player in reserves who has earned a call up.

Surely it’s still of benefit to drop a player or two and let them work on their game in reserves, even if there aren’t players screaming out to replace them in first grade?

slotmachine

First Grade
No, its completely fine for sione to make the same defensive error several times each week without ever getting dropped.

Spot On

Coach
Let's not make this out to be something it is not.....

There is obviously a massive issue with:

a. Coaching
b. Player talent
c. Attitude/desire
d. Resouces
e. Professionalism

A combination of or all the above.

How can the deplorable defensive aspect of both our grades be explained. It is at crisis point imo. We are kidding ourselves if we think otherwise.

Will dropping a few and giving a go to some others change much. Probably not. But Brown has to do something. I think he needs to cut a few from the club and he needs to work out who that will be starting now.

Otherwise we need an explanation as to why our defensive style - technique, pattern and line speed - is non existent.

What has gone wrong and with whom does the blame lay? Or how do we fix it?

Identify the players who are the poorest at this aspect of the game and do something about it.

Ivan Cleary has shown it is possible to have some sort of defensive system that helps his side compete even with a lack of talent in comparison to other clubs.

They lost a rep frontrower, their 5/8 and rep fullback. 3 of their best players yet Cleary has found a way to make them competitive.

If we lost Herman, Watson and Ponga how the hell would we be going. Pearce gone and we look like weve never played together before after 10 minutes each week. Big loss yes. So next year, we recruit a few more and we lose Pearce. Are we to expect the same capitulation?

It is just very Newcastle unfortunately.

Brown stated publicly this club had massive defensive issues for the last decade when he took over and it would be his priority to fix.

Well..........

Last edited:

Latest posts