What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Origin undersells in Melbourne (Or: The Telecrap shits on the game again)

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/or...e/news-story/002e4875b0a66676bf0540fd55261393

THE NRL is bracing for a State of Origin black eye at the series opener in Melbourne.

Despite the representative retirements of Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith making the 2018 series completely up for grabs — Melbourne fans are reportedly set to give Origin Game 1 the snub.

The Daily Telegraph reports the NRL is resigned to an embarrassing crowd of just 50,000 turning up at the cavernous MCG when the Maroons and Blues face off on June 6.

The report claims ticket sales for Origin I are yet to break past 20,000 — just 11 days before the big game.

Sales are expected to pick up in the final 10 days with promotions, free give-aways and membership interest expected to push sales past 40,000.

The 100,000 MCG would still appear mostly empty if less than 50,000 fail to turn up.

Pictures of empty sections at the MCG during the biggest game of the year would be a black eye for the NRL’s commitment to taking games outside of New South Wales and Queensland.

The looming Melbourne disaster comes after 91,513 turned up to watch Origin at the MCG in 2015.

5f834f65d6816874404e9ff328417340

Cameron Smith’s reign of dominance is over.Source:AAP

The Daily Telegraph reports Melbourne supporters have turned their back on Origin at the MCG because of a rise in ticket prices, a promise of future Origin matches in Melbourne in 2021 and 2025 and ongoing fan anxiety around the NRL’s referee crackdown which has drastically escalated the rate of penalties in the game.

The 2018 series will also be played without Melbourne favourites Cooper Cronk, Cameron Smith and Johnathan Thurston.

Only Billy Slater remains of Queensland’s big veteran stars alongside Greg Inglis.

Meanwhile, rumblings about poor form haven’t swayed NSW coach Brad Fittler, who says Boyd Cordner is a guaranteed starter for the Blues in the opening State of Origin clash.

The Roosters second rower and incumbent Blues captain had been criticised by the likes of former NSW coach Phil Gould, who claimed Cordner shouldn’t be picked in the June 6 clash because his game had stagnated.

But on a night where Fittler skirted other selection quandaries for the Melbourne opener, he gave Cordner a thorough endorsement.

“Boyd will be in the team,” Fittler told the Nine Network.

“If I could pen anyone in at the moment barring injury it would be Boyd Cordner. “Obviously Gus (Gould) and I have got a great relationship - he does things in different ways.

Melbourne is packed full of fairweather mugs? Well chop my legs off and call me Stumps.

The bigger story for mine is the Telecrap continuing its unrelenting hatred of the sport. #talkupthegame indeed.

moffla

Bench
Will admit I find it very strange. MCG 2015 was an amazing experience with really good atmosphere. 91k and while the majority of the crowd weren’t happy with the result, the general feeling was that they would return

Prices are cooked though, but can’t expect much else. Will see if this affects NSW + QLD crowds too, but maybe NRL should have just used Etihad again this time around

jargan83

Coach
I had a look at picking up tickets to this one and flying across for it at the start of year and all the Ticketek website would give me were seats right up in the nosebleeds.

Had another look at the Ticketek website yesterday after reading this article and got offered platinum seats that designated “Late Release Platinum”.

I assume someone involved with the planning of this game decided to hold back a whole heap of seats to potentially cash in on Origin hype and flood the market with extra seats.

Only problem is the giant myth that Victoria loves sports (Victoria loves AFL) and releasing tickets so late before Origin means the average punter will probably struggle to get from interstate for the game.

1C5EEC13-3AAF-48D7-BB28-A59E3AFC4D8B.png

Barkley

Bench
I had a look at picking up tickets to this one and flying across for it at the start of year and all the Ticketek website would give me were seats right up in the nosebleeds.

Had another look at the Ticketek website yesterday after reading this article and got offered platinum seats that designated “Late Release Platinum”.

I assume someone involved with the planning of this game decided to hold back a whole heap of seats to potentially cash in on Origin hype and flood the market with extra seats.

Only problem is the giant myth that Victoria loves sports (Victoria loves AFL) and releasing tickets so late before Origin means the average punter will probably struggle to get from interstate for the game.

View attachment 20375

At those prices you may as well get an extra seat so you can spread out.

Valheru

Coach
I know it got 91k in 2015 nut wednesday just isn't the right day for non NSW/QLD hosted SOO fixtures as it restricts travelling fans. Unfortunately the NRL is never going to get use of the MCG or etihad mod AFL season.

Barkley

Bench
Because Melbourne is the most livable city they are able to charge stupid amounts on tickets...you know with all that extra money that have lying around.

Clifferd

Coach

View attachment 20375

That pricing is totally f**ked. Is it even necessary or does the NRL just like to milk out every cent?

Watch them dramatically reduce prices a few days out from origin

Springs09

Juniors
Why the hell would they raise prices like that?

Okay we got 91k in 2015, how do we top that? Hmm I know, let's charge everyone more!

8Ball

First Grade
God damnit I've been given a choice between believing Greenberg or News Corp.

What I like about social media is that at least that people from the NRL get to respond to bullshit that "journalists" like crapfield writes...And we'll see who's lying Wednesday week. I know who my money's on though

Lambretta

First Grade
Paying anything more than $100 to watch a game of footy is not on for me. Paying close to $300 is stupid.

Prices must be set by Eastern Suburbs types based on the price of a gram of coke
"Oi lads, how much is a good night out these days?"
"About $300"
"Okay, got it"

Vee

First Grade
Paying anything more than $100 to watch a game of footy is not on for me. Paying close to $300 is stupid.

Prices must be set by Eastern Suburbs types based on the price of a gram of coke
"Oi lads, how much is a good night out these days?"
"About $300"
"Okay, got it"
We come down once a year for Origin and want the good seats. That's what they cost. If we can't get good seats, we wouldn't bother as we did with the G this year. We prefer Melbourne to Sydney but left it too late for good seats in Melbourne so sydney it is.

Latest posts