What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL will not force clubs to release players for Denver Test

roughyedspud

Coach
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12060817

Warriors want Test moved to end of year in the future years, NZRL comment that they will assess the situation following this year's Test. They are confident that have assurances that all players picked will be available.
The warriors will do whatever the RLPA says and the NZRL will do whatever the ARLC/NRL says...

Let it all sink in....the NRL agree to a mid season test weekend...then the put on a piss weak pacific series and completely shutdown the nz v eng game.....

Anything to enhance the profile of origin...f**king wankers..

I'm literally on the verge of disowning RL all together or becoming a RL TERRORIST where I'll put all my efforts into ruining the NRL internationally!!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Everybody is looking at the problem the wrong way...

Instead of coming at the issue from a position of 'how do we force the NRL and NRL clubs to release players for internationals', you should be coming at it from the position of 'what do we have to do/change so that the NRL and NRL clubs actively support internationals and international RL', until that change in perspective happens nothing will change and we'll always have these issues every time that an international match/tournament is scheduled during the NRL season.

The NRL and NRL clubs not supporting the Denver test was completely predictable and completely avoidable, but everybody (including the RFL, RLIF, and probably the NZRL) are too busy trying to overpower the NRL in this regard instead of trying to work with and around them...

Iafeta

Referee
If the game was in Perth,Singapore or Dubai...would the stance be the same?

Singapore perhaps... Perth I’d say yes. Dubai probably too far. But in fairness, that’s a huge travel load for the English.

If the test was scheduled at the end of the season I think Denver would be a top choice.

Iafeta

Referee
20 odd hours in first class laydown beds!!!!! f**king hell they ain't Isis hostages!!!!

Still changing time zones. Also with Denver being in the Rockies, it’s more taxing through less oxygen at higher levels.

The other problem is lack of recovery time.

Super (sic) Rugby has similar travel, but games are scheduled with appropriate breaks for travel.

latingringo101

Juniors
Absolute stupidity from the NRL and Clubs.

there is NO WAY clubs can stop releasing their players for a RLIF sanctioned match.

It's just them flexing their muscles and trying to hold on to the NRL centred universe which they know is slowly being challenged all the time

Iafeta

Referee
What stakeholder consultation went on prior to the scheduling of this match out of curiosity?

Coastbloke

Bench
What IS the RLIF saying?
There's plenty of non Australian board members in the Executive. Their silence is deafening. If what Pommy says is true, the French are keeping quiet because they don't want to play mid year Tests either so won't rock the boat..

The Great Dane

First Grade
What IS the RLIF saying?
There's plenty of non Australian board members in the Executive. Their silence is deafening. If what Pommy says is true, the French are keeping quiet because they don't want to play mid year Tests either so won't rock the boat..

Does it really matter what they are saying?

They're a toothless tiger, completely incapable of enforcing any rules that they make so their rules aren't worth the paper they are printed on...

Springs09

Juniors
I didn’t know those games involved 20 odd hours of travel?

Jesus Christ. Those poor players.

These are professional athletes I don't think lying down in high class airplane seats for 3/4 of a day is going to wipe them out for a week, considering the England players already did the same thing last year coming to Australia mid-season.

Majority of the players in the test won't be playing until 7 days later, none for at least 5. 5 days including a flight vs the next night after the ANZAC Test or City/Country like what used to happen.

Force

Juniors
Rugby League is a case of the tail wagging the dog so nobody should be surprised to see a club competition yield its stick.

This one-off mid-year test should never have been played a half a world away. It was silly to organise it in the first place. The short turn around games need to be played just down the road so you dont piss-off the puppet master.