What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 14 vs Roosters @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 14: Knights v Roosters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2018 - Round 14
Newcastle Knights v Sydney Roosters
McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton (TICKETS)
Saturday 9 June 2018

Gates 1:15pm / Flegg 1:30pm / ISP 3:15pm / NRL 5:30pm

TL-NEW18.png

1. Kalyn Ponga 2. Ken Sio 3. Sione Mata'utia 4. Cory Denniss 5. Shaun Kenny-dowall 6. Connor Watson 7. Jack Cogger 8. Herman Ese'ese 9. Slade Griffin 10. Daniel Saifiti 11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 12. Mitchell Barnett 13. Aidan Guerra
Interchange: 14. Danny Levi 15. Chris Heighington 16. Jamie Buhrer 17. Josh King 18. Jacob Lillyman 19. Luke Yates 20. Nicholas Meaney 21. Brock Lamb

TL-SYD18.png

1. James Tedesco 2. Daniel Tupou 3. Latrell Mitchell 4. Joseph Manu 5. Blake Ferguson 6. Luke Keary 7. Cooper Cronk 8. Jared Waerea-Hargreaves 9. Jake Friend 10. Dylan Napa 11. Boyd Cordner 12. Sio Siua Taukeiaho 13. Isaac Liu
Interchange: 14. Zane Tetevano 15. Kurt Baptiste 16. Mitchell Aubusson 17. Victor Radley 18. Nat Butcher 19. Lindsay Collins 20. Frank Paul Nuuausala 21. Paul Momirovski

REF-YELLOW-1000px_1.jpg

Referees: Jon Stone, Alan Shortall
Sideline Officials: Jeff Younis, Drew Oultram
Video Referees: Ashley Klein, Luke Patten

Feeder team matches
KNIGHTS (NSWRL) & ROOSTERS (NSWRL - Wyong)
SAT
Knights v Roosters / Wyong @ McDonald Jones, Flegg 1:30pm / ISP 3:15pm​

Last edited by a moderator:

mozza91

Coach
Can’t see us winning but I think we might of reached abit of a turning point over the last 2 weeks. That Sharks loss really stung the players and I don’t think we’ll play near that bad again this year.

Fingers crossed the Chooks have a few that can’t back up after Origin.

Yosh

Coach
Can’t see us winning but I think we might of reached abit of a turning point over the last 2 weeks. That Sharks loss really stung the players and I don’t think we’ll play near that bad again this year.

Fingers crossed the Chooks have a few that can’t back up after Origin.

Or maybe we want them to back up after Origin and have a stinker because they are tired? Either way, not bad for us.

perverse

Referee
Think we'll rest Kalyn if he plays origin? We probably should, although it's basically giving up this game.

Old dog

Juniors
I will be very surprised if he is in the final 17 which would then mean no problems for us

Dave_

Juniors
If the 2 heads lose, Ponga will come in as their savior. Then when they lose again, it'll be all Ponga's fault.

PhilGould

Bench
"Mentally, I am ready for Origin," Ponga told NRL.com at the airport.

"Physically, I pulled up well from the game on the weekend. I'm feeling on top of the world being picked for a team like this.

"It's pretty surreal at the moment, it's late so I'm keen to get to the hotel and see the coaches.

"A lot of emotions are going through my head, but I'm keen to see the team and get some rest.

"I'm pretty proud. It's a proud moment for me to even be invited into the Queensland camp and be around such great personnel."

To me that sounds like he's already been told he's in the 17.

Burwood

Bench
Even though Queensland have no obligation to name their replacement for Slater just yet and don’t want to do NSW any favours by doing so, I get the feeling they might have already made up their mind and are trying to shield Ponga a bit from the media and pressure. I think he’ll slot straight into Slater’s position- not the bench.

Old dog

Juniors
Don't know the full list of Qld side, originally picked, but would think that they would have most positions covered and best to select from original squad, didn't even realise Mbye was in squad, further call ins, Milford and Ponga would be precautionary as well as smokescreen

TEAM

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Ken Sio
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Cory Denniss
5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
6. Connor Watson
7. Jack Cogger
8. Herman Ese'ese
9. Slade Griffin
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Mitch Barnett
13. Aidan Guerra (c)

14. Danny Levi
15. Chris Heighington
16. Jamie Buhrer (c)
17. Josh King

18. Jacob Lillyman
19. Luke Yates
20. Nick Meaney
21. Brock Lamb

King must have some serious incriminating photos of Brown

Still Nutty

Juniors
Heard Laurie Daley this morning and his take made sense on Ponga....it would not be practical for Ponga to slot straight into fullback for 2 reasons that aren't about skill or ability but about experience;

1) fullback has a large responsibility for setting up and organising the defensive structure - with no knowledge of the systems or demands that Queensland would want (because he hasn't trained with them or played with the squad before) it wouldn't be practical for the team to have somebody unfamiliar with their defensive structures being responsible for that in the pressure cooker environment of the game, and

2) for similar reasons, he wouldn't know the attacking plays/calls to know his position or timing to play his part in those patterns.

Laurie suggested that if he'd trained there all week, he would be OK to slot in but he will only get one training session to get any sort of sense or understanding of all of these aspects and his thoughts were that it would make more sense for somebody like Munster to slot in at fullback, bring Morgan into the halves and Ponga to be used as a bench cover/utility.

It sounded really sensible and I would think Qld would more want to ensure they minimise the disruption to their defensive and attacking structure than necessarily 'protect' Ponga from being involved in the game...as Laurie said, if h had been with the squad from the start, he could see him being picked to start at No. 1 but it wouldn't be a smart coaching move in game 1 because of his limited opportunity to prepare with the squad, not because he couldn't handle it.

Burwood

Bench
I thought the idea from QLD was to have Ponga around the camp all week to experience the build up and become familiar with everything? I was surprised when he had to fly down to Melbourne yesterday because I thought he would have already been down there. :confused:

NK Arsenal

Juniors
TEAM

1. Kalyn Ponga
2. Ken Sio
3. Sione Mata'utia
4. Cory Denniss
5. Shaun Kenny-Dowall
6. Connor Watson
7. Jack Cogger
8. Herman Ese'ese
9. Slade Griffin
10. Daniel Saifiti
11. Lachlan Fitzgibbon
12. Mitch Barnett
13. Aidan Guerra (c)

14. Danny Levi
15. Chris Heighington
16. Jamie Buhrer (c)
17. Josh King

18. Jacob Lillyman
19. Luke Yates
20. Nick Meaney
21. Brock Lamb

King must have some serious incriminating photos of Brown
Surely King a straight swap for Yates or Lillyman on game day.