What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When do we call time?

IFR33K

Coach
His argument was that losing six straight was the problem. It wasn’t. Losing 11 from 13 is the problem. And if we keep up this win rate over 24 games we will run last.

Losing a game here and there means generally we are competing.

Losing six straight means there’s fcking issues. Either outplayed or we simply aren’t good enough.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Losing our first 6 consecutive games has had far greater meaning and ramifications than accumulating 6 losses randomly throughout the season.

At the time you posted that, we were 0-3 and no doubt you thought we’d get ourselves out of the shit. Quite a few posters pointed out that those consecutive losses were impacting our confidence and we had some real issues that needed addressing then.
If the consecutive nature of the losses mattered we would be just as likely to go on a run after winning the next two.

So the consecutive losses didn’t cause our problems, they were a symptom of problems that may or may not be relevant through the entire season. Last year’s consecutive losses weren’t relevant while this year’s look like they were. But we only know that in hindsight, like so many of you only know anything in hindsight. You were all tipping the spoon after four straight losses last year and you were wrong. This year’s season from hell doesn’t restore your credibility.

ouryears

Bench
If the consecutive nature of the losses mattered we would be just as likely to go on a run after winning the next two.

So the consecutive losses didn’t cause our problems, they were a symptom of problems that may or may not be relevant through the entire season. Last year’s consecutive losses weren’t relevant while this year’s look like they were. But we only know that in hindsight, like so many of you only know anything in hindsight. You were all tipping the spoon after four straight losses last year and you were wrong. This year’s season from hell doesn’t restore your credibility.
I think mate, if a team loses 6 in a row they are not going to make any finals series.

Losing 6 in a row is different to losing 6 scattered games throughout the season.

Do you know in the history of the game, any team that loses 6 in a row, only about 3 have ever made the semis.

If you lose 6 in a row, you can only lose another 3 from the remaining 18 games, chances are very very poor.

Yes you might go on a run, but not win 15 from the 18 remaining games.

That's why teams who lose 6 in a row just don't make it.

If you toss a coin 24 times and the first 6 all come down tails, you can't win enough of the next 18 tosses to get home.

I've tried it 200 times, i got home once.

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade

So you don’t think losing that many games in a row impacted our confidence at all? Even the most rubbish teams will win a few games every year (look at the knights the last few years).

I also think the timing of the losses, being at the start of the season, was detrimental to our belief that we can be a competitive footy team in 2018.

Happy MEel

First Grade
FFS.

No wonder Pou doesn’t post as much anymore.
How so? The merkin loves an argument and we’re giving him one, even if he’s coming off sounding nonsensical.

You actually provided a pretty good perspective on the issue a while ago. I think Pou’s the only merkin who believes the rubbish he’s currently spinning.

I don't agree (with Pou)

Picture this scenario:

Two teams with the same Win-Loss record are playing each other in Round 11. One is coming off 4 straight wins and the other is coming off four straight losses.

If that happened 100 times which team would chalk up more wins? I'd vote for the team with momentum.

They say that "winning is a habit". I would argue the same with respect to losing. It is difficult to get yourself out of a rut when you lose several in a row.

Granted, I accept that it is a long season and in the scheme of things it ultimately just comes down to total win-losses. When you have them can be irrelevant.

However, if you were to survey most coaches and players I would suggest that they would prefer not to have to contemplate a major losing streak as it is a test that they may ultimately fail.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
How so? The merkin loves an argument and we’re giving him one, even if he’s coming off sounding nonsensical.

You actually provided a pretty good perspective on the issue a while ago. I think Pou’s the only merkin who believes the rubbish he’s currently spinning.
Pretty good? That was genius!

Are you sure @Barry O'Speedwagon didnt write it?

Happy MEel

First Grade
Pretty good? That was genius!

Are you sure @Barry O'Speedwagon didnt write it?
giphy.gif

Latest posts