What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U19 Euro Cup

The Partisan

Positive and progressive news on officials for the comp ....just on 3 and a half months away now !

Taken from the RLEF FB site

NINE COUNTRIES PROVIDE MATCH OFFICIALS FOR EUROPEAN U19S CHAMPIONSHIP

RLEF Education has confirmed the 12-man match official squad for the U19s European Championship 2018 to be held in Belgrade, Serbia, this August. It includes referees from nine countries and represents the broadest range of nations ever to officiate at an official rugby league tournament, beating the previous record of five nations at the 2015 Pacific Games in PNG.

“This has been made possible by the investment made over recent years in a comprehensive education programme to produce match officials on the continent,” said RLEF match official chef de mission Phil Smith. “We're already targeting representation of RLEF-produced officials at the 2021 World Cup and these championships will be a great development step in that aim.”

Smith will be supported by RL Ireland head match official Steve Hogan, whilst the Serbian RL Federation’s Radoslav Novakovic will be the tournament match officials manager – representing the tenth nation involved in the tournament panel. The squad covers every language spoken in the tournament, including two fluent Russian speakers.

Mohamed Drizza, head of the French federation’s Comite Centrale des Arbtires, will also attend with the competition coming two weeks after a strategic match officials summit in Le Barcares for the leading French match official educators.

U19 European Championship 2018 match official squad

Jaroslav Bzoch (Czech Republic); Craig Smith and Cameron Worsley (England); Mohamed Drizza and Benjamin Casty (France); James Spencer (Ireland); Guido Bonatti (Italy); Robin Hachache (Lebanon); Bartlomiej Sierota (Poland); Antonio Palacios and Andrew Pilkington (Spain); Oleksandr Ivchenko (Ukraine).

yakstorm

First Grade
Great to see referees from so many nations involved, including nations that aren't even taking part in this year's tournament.

I hope for the 2020 U19s tournament, we can see the likes of Spain, Lebanon and Poland enteeien teams, at least in the qualifiers if nothing else.

The Partisan

Just as a sideline ....

On Thursday morning (Oz time) I contacted the Irish Rugby League via FB about a possible meet and greet with players and officials whilst i'm there for a couple of games. I got a very prompt and positive reply from them and after a few comments the Steve Hogan mentioned in the article ( RL Ireland head match official Steve Hogan) introduced himself and he also answered a few questions for me re players being domestic boys or heritage eligible. Very obliging. :D

Sadly my contact to the England RL on the same day is as yet to be responded to :(

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Yes straight knockout, for both winners and losers in 1st Round.

https://rugbyleagueu19euro.com/

https://www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueu19euro/

Here is the draw, Italy have since qualified as the 8th team over Ukraine

22519302_844688439025749_5501855308496058990_n-880x431.jpg

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Great to see referees from so many nations involved, including nations that aren't even taking part in this year's tournament.

I hope for the 2020 U19s tournament, we can see the likes of Spain, Lebanon and Poland enteeien teams, at least in the qualifiers if nothing else.

You may have your wish regards Lebanon as the RLEF have announced 4 bids to host the 2020 tournament are England, France, Italy and Lebanon.

https://rugbyleagueu19euro.com/2018...-lebanon-start-the-race-for-host-2020-u19-ec/

The Partisan

Howdy all,

Day one done and dusted last Sunday.

Three predictable run away wins and one close tustle between the Celts Scotland and Ireland eith the men in blue getting home in the end.

Relevant FB site for the event located earlier in this thread has all the details.

Bloody hot day for players and spectators alike ! Few issues occurred with the venue and lack of announcements via a PA system ( would interferecwith thgevlivecstream apparently :confused:) but get the feeling the RLIF didnt exactly throw money or event management assistance at them. Day 2 on Wednesday kicks off with Serbia v Ukraine. Both heavily beaten but did genuinely try hard.

The Partisan

If interested ive compiled a short report of the day for the Rugby League section of the website ' The Footy Almanac'. Few editing hiccups but done on the run so I'm ok with it..

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
"the RLIF didnt exactly throw money or event management assistance at them"

This typically means the people running and playing in all this are very passionate. They must be or they wouldn't bother.

And this can be generalised to rugby league on a very broad scale. Most efforts made around encouraging people to take part in the game that come from above in the hierarchy are shit. Let's be honest, I think we are all mostly wise to this. Incompetence is rife in league.

Compare that to the competence in union and think about what could happen if some of that was applied to league. You only need a few Perez types and things could start going forward pretty quick.