What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Eels Juniors

Gronk

Staff member
Cronin brothers to play together in Malta Test Match

r0_0_1197_801_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Making your international rugby league debut is a momentous occasion in itself.

For Maitland’s Peter and Jesse Cronin, however, the event will have an additional layer of significance.

It’ll be the first time the brothers have ever taken the field together, with both selected in the Malta rugby league team gunning for qualification in the 2021 Rugby League World Cup.

“It’ll be the first game we’ve ever played together. There’s 10 years between us. I think it was a package deal, they wanted him so they had to take me,” joked the elder Cronin, Peter.

While he plays as a rugged prop for the Kurri Bulldogs, younger brother Jesse takes to the field at lock for the Parramatta Eels’ Jersey Flegg side.

After qualifying for the Malta national team through their mother, the duo are set to come off the bench in a June 24 test match against South Africa in Sydney.

It’s a proud moment for the entire Cronin family, Peter said.

“We’ve never been to Malta but it’s always been an aspiration to get over there as a family,” he said of their roots.

I think it was a package deal, they wanted him so they had to take me

Peter Cronin on the selection of him and brother Jesse
“I’ve got a 12-week-old boy and representing Malta is something I can look back on with him.”

The experienced prop admitted he thought the chance to play with Jesse had passed them both.

“I think it’ll make me nervous. I’m the older brother and I’ve always protected him,” he said of the occasion, before adding with a laugh: “Hopefully no one niggles him out there”.

After playing in age grade representative sides for the Knights, Peter confessed he thought his own representative career was behind him before the Malta call-up.

News of his selection came as a shock, the 28-year-old said. Though he’d had some discussions with the Malta coach, he wasn’t 100 per cent sure of his selection until the team sheet for the South Africa test was released.

“I woke up to a heap of messages on my phone from the boys,” he said.

He doesn’t know what to expect from the South African side, but assumed there’d be some big cattle judging by their rugby union teams.

While not getting ahead of himself, he said selection in a minnow team like Malta could lead to exciting opportunities – such as the situation of former Kurri teammate Mark Kheirallah, who played for France against Australia in last year’s Rugby League World Cup.

“I don’t think Malta is at the same level as France yet, but there’s some good players (in the Malta team),” he said of the team. “A lot of them are from NSW Cup level so there’s some good footy players there.”

https://www.maitlandmercury.com.au/...first-ever-game-together-in-malta-test-match/

Chipmunk

Coach
I hope he gets some game time in the NRL before seasons end. Personally it should only be all about 2019 and beyond from here on for this mob.

Chipmunk

Coach
Personally I couldn't give a shit if we won another game all year, as long as we're a contender next season.

If wins this season will help us next season then that's great.

If wins this season won't help us next season then whats the advantage?

Latest posts