What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Shredder

Juniors
Someone on the "official" forum is saying Marty Tapau wants to come back.
For the kind of money we would be shelling out for Woods, Id much rather Tapau.

Tiger05

First Grade
Apart from his attitude and disrespect toward the club im coming around to the idea of Woods returning.
If he was to apologize for his actions and show some remorse for being a dick id happily have him back in the side.
Ok he is overated but lets be honest he didnt give up trying when he finnished up last year. Compared to Packer and Mautilino who havnt delivered anywhere near what we expected he offers more metres, more gametime, more defence and more 2nd phrase offloads and is YOUNGER.
Id be happy to see a redemption story with him busting his arse at the club he once loved trying to prove himself and work with Cleary on his weaknesses in game and make amends

I don't agree that he is a better defender. Matulino especially to me always seems to be working hard in defence. Woods is a lazy defender. Woods needs to work on his game. He does a lot of things really well but some things poorly. He isn't a liked player at the Dogs and isn't a rep level prop at the moment.

Tiger05

First Grade
Packer has been huge for us, just since injury he has been a bit off. Give him some time ffs, you lot have the shortest memories of anyone on the internet

He was good at the start of the season but his recent performances have been poor. He needs to lift.

Packer has been huge for us, just since injury he has been a bit off. Give him some time ffs, you lot have the shortest memories of anyone on the internet

He's been off the boil since coming back from injury. Matulino has been comparatively disappointing. Not sure if his knee is still giving him curry too.

Tigerm

First Grade
Culture building

Wests Tigers centre Mahe Fonua was suspended for being late for training because of a flat battery in his phone

CULT hero Mahe Fonua was suspended by the Tigers for being late to training, but he says the reason was completely innocent.

The Tigers centre revealed that the reason he was late, was that an alarm in his old phone did not go off.

“My alarm didn’t go off on my old phone because it dies and I didn’t put it on the charger that night,” Fonua told The Sydney Morning Herald.

“I’ve got a new phone now.”

Whatever the reason, coach Ivan Cleary wasted no time in suspending Fonua in order to keep the team’s high standards and set an example over what is expected.

Fonua was coming off a man-of-the-match performance, but it was not enough to save him from being axed, in a clear sign the Tigers run a tight ship under Cleary.

“It was a wake-up call,” Fonua said.

“I didn’t miss the actual training. I came in and missed some video.

“I still took the field and trained but with the culture here and the direction we’re heading I knew straight away we wouldn’t let this slide. We don’t want these things creeping in.

“The last thing I wanted to do was go back to reserve grade and kick stones. I tried to put in my best performance and do what I could do to get rewarded with another call-up.”

The Tigers play the Raiders at Campbelltown Sports Ground on Sunday.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Marty is a forward version of Moses. Honestly it astounds me the praise he gets. Sure can be great with ball in hand but is a huge soft cock in defence, horrible Jersey grabber and gives away a shitload of penalties. I wouldn’t want him back at all

Das Hassler

Bench
Marty is a forward version of Moses. Honestly it astounds me the praise he gets. Sure can be great with ball in hand but is a huge soft c**k in defence, horrible Jersey grabber and gives away a shitload of penalties. I wouldn’t want him back at all

Same here Vic ( less 20% of the feelings expressed)....but if it came to pass then let him earn a call up after a good spell from reserve grade to help lose the elite mercenary entitlement attitude.....maybe have him spell " i fight for my team in the trenches" a hundred times on the blackboard

Perth Tiger

Bench
I cant really recall any player that has left a club for money or "to go to a successful club" that has returned to their first club and been a success.

I would be steering clear of any of a former players and looking at newer talent

BrotherJim05

Bench
I'd take Marty back if he is willing to play off the bench and is paid appropriately.

Marty was never the starting, workhorse prop that they are trying to use him as at Manly. He is an explosive impact prop, the type that can come off the bench and completely shift the momentum of the game.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Farah set to make shock return to Wests Tigers

By Adrian Proszenko
15 June 2018 — 12:00am

Robbie Farah could make a shock return to Wests Tigers, giving the veteran hooker a chance for a more fitting farewell at the club where his career began.

Fairfax Media can reveal Farah has reached out to Tigers coach Ivan Cleary about the prospect of coming back to the joint-venture outfit before the June 30 transfer deadline. The deal would only be until the end of the season and it's likely his current side, South Sydney, won’t stand in the way.

A comeback could provide Farah and another prodigal son, Benji Marshall, a perfect note to retire on together if they can steer the Tigers to a drought-breaking finals appearance.

There is still some groundwork before the deal becomes reality. Given the acrimonious nature of his departure, a final decision would have to go to the board for sign off. Some powerbrokers still need convincing after Farah fell out with several influential figures, including then coach Jason Taylor.

But with Taylor gone and the Tigers in need of a spark to get their finals ambitions back on track, Farah will likely get the support required to finish in the black, white and orange.

The Tigers have been unable to settle on a replacement hooker since Farah’s departure. They have used - with varying success - Pita Godinet, Jacob Liddle, Elijah Taylor, Matt McIlwrick and Josh Reynolds during their 2018 campaign. While McIlwrick has been given the nod for Sunday’s clash with Canberra, insiders believe the chances of making the semis will increase if a player of Farah’s experience is in the spine.

The two-time Dally M hooker of the year has made only two appearances for South Sydney this season after Damien Cook won the race for the No.9 jersey. Farah’s most recent Rabbitohs appearance was in round 14 when Cook was unavailable due to State of Origin duty. While Souths would prefer to keep Farah around for the representative period, there is little point begrudging him an NRL opportunity in his twilight in order to keep him in reserve grade with feeder side North Sydney.

Farah is one of the most polarising figures in Wests Tigers history. He has made 247 appearances for the club, including the 2005 grand final victory against the Cowboys. The former skipper never wanted to leave, but there was pressure to move him on because the final years of his contract were heavily back-ended. The result was Farah spent his finals days at the Tigers in reserve grade, with the club having to heavily subsidise his contract at Redfern.

Some fans were happy to see the back of him, believing he was a divisive influence during his last, turbulent years at the Tigers. Others will welcome back one of the club’s favourite sons with open arms, hoping he will this time receive a more fitting farewell.

Some Tigers officials had reservations about signing Marshall from the Broncos, unsure whether his best football was behind him. However, his return proved to be a masterstroke, particularly after injury prevented marquee recruit Reynolds from participating in the opening rounds.

There is a feeling Farah's signing could have a similar effect. The 34-year-old has been in reasonable touch for the Bears and his class could prove the difference in a tight finals race. His great mate Marshall is yet to make a call on his future, raising the prospect of the pair bowing out together at the end of the year.

Farah is unlikely to be the last addition to the Tigers team before the June 30 deadline. Canterbury fullback Moses Mbye has signed a four-year deal with the club beginning next year, although Cleary is keen for him to transfer immediately. The clubs are finalising a release that is amenable to all parties and Saturday's clash with the Titans will be Mbye’s last in blue and white.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/farah-set-to-make-shock-return-to-wests-tigers-20180614-p4zljg.html

Front-Rower

First Grade
If the above happens, when does Teflon come back and we can have an old boys reunion..... IC do not let this happen for the sake of the club

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Moses mid-season switch confirmed by club:

Moses Mbye moves to Wests Tigers

Wests Tigers have today confirmed that Moses Mbye will join the club in the coming days.

Mbye, who recently signed a four-year playing contract with Wests Tigers will join the club following this weekend’s NRL round once paperwork has been finalised.

The 24-year-old will play his 94th and final NRL game for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs on Saturday before joining Wests Tigers ahead of the Representative Round break.

Wests Tigers Head Coach Ivan Cleary welcomed Mbye to the club.

“Moses is an impressive young man and we’re really happy that he’s able to join us at this stage of the season,” said Cleary. “We look forward to having him join the club in the coming days and get into training with his new teammates.”

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe said he looked forward to having Mbye at the club.

“I’d like to commend Moses for the way that he’s handled himself during this process,” said Pascoe. “It’s great that he’s able to come across to Wests Tigers now as he’ll be a part of our club for many years to come.”

Vic Mackey

Referee
I don’t see a point to it. We’re not going to win the comp so why get a 34 year old in for 10 weeks. Even if Farah plays the best footy of his career we likely finish 8th at best and lose week 1. Personally I see more potential negatives then positives

Tiger05

First Grade
What harm can it do ? Its only for this season. I can think of more positives then negatives

I say let him come back. I have no idea what happened when he was here but he bleed for the club. He has to recognise though that he could end up playing ISP.

Latest posts