What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst experiences/fights at the footy

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
1976 Grand Final.
Sitting towards the bottom of the hill.
Guy sitting a few yards away closer to the bottom of the SCG hill yells abuse at the supporters further up the hill.
He the proceeds to throw a can up the hill.
I was in the middle and felt the breeze of a full beer can whiz past my ear as the crowd at the top started showering cans back at the bloke.
I had one of those old foam eskys and took shelter under it and basically was waiting to be hit.
A number of cans hit the esky and it split in a few places but thankfully could still act as a shield from the cans.
After about a minute By some miracle the cops intervened and the shower of cans ceased.The esky ended up like foam hanging off a rope.
The guy who hurled the abuse was hit with blood pouring from his head.
He was lucky.I couldn’t say how many times he got hit as I had my head down worrying about myself but if the crowds aim was any good he would’ve been dead.
Learnt a few lessons that day but you don’t have to be Einstein to work out you don’t throw cans up the hill.
The other thing was the amount of idiots that threw full beer cans.
What a waste.
Steel cans then as well. Ouch.

Pig Champion

Juniors
I was at Jubilee Oval to see a mate play in the St George A grade GF between Brighton seagulls and I think Renown. Suddenly just near us in the stand it was on between some lebanese Brighton fans and Renown fans, strollers getting tossed, guys jumping across other spectators. Not pretty. It made the front page of the St George and Sutherland Shire Leader.

H.H

Juniors
Good thread. Couple of mentions about Como, involved with them and a real good club. Doesn't seem to be too many dickheads these days.

For me, two Roosters Dogs games stand out. 2003 prelim and 2004 at the SFS the next year where they threw all their water bottles on the field as they were getting towelled up. Never felt tension like that at a game - especially that 2003 prelim.

Biggest brawl I saw was the 1986 Test at the SCG between Australia and NZ. Was the first time the Clive Churchill stand was used and a mate's Dad somehow jagged us some tickets. After full-time there was this massive brawl on the hill with every merkin there blind and slipping and sliding all over the joint amongst a hail of punches. Not sure anyone got seriously hurt, but we had a great view and thought it was a top way to end the arvo.

GongPanther

Referee
Probably two stand outs for me:

Sharks/dragons at the SFS (late 90s or early 2000s). A group of us were sitting between a bunch of sharks supporters and a couple of Mongoloid dragons fans. Wouldn’t have been more than 20mins in and one of the fat wombats literally jumps over me to release a flurry of punches on this sharks fan

Sharks fan retaliates with a plastic schooner glassing, next thing you know 100 Cops are in there and everyone gets evicted

Dogs v Penrith 1997 belmore. The infamous riot game. I remember sitting there with my old man and thinking, no way we are getting out of this alive. Saw a few dogs fans get absolutely flogged that night, surprised we went back to Belmore after that
There are some real rum hard bastards in the Penrith district. It is I'll advised in stirring up a hornet's nest.

DIOGENES

Juniors
1976 Grand Final.
Sitting towards the bottom of the hill.
Guy sitting a few yards away closer to the bottom of the SCG hill yells abuse at the supporters further up the hill.
He the proceeds to throw a can up the hill.
I was in the middle and felt the breeze of a full beer can whiz past my ear as the crowd at the top started showering cans back at the bloke.
I had one of those old foam eskys and took shelter under it and basically was waiting to be hit.
A number of cans hit the esky and it split in a few places but thankfully could still act as a shield from the cans.
After about a minute By some miracle the cops intervened and the shower of cans ceased.The esky ended up like foam hanging off a rope.
The guy who hurled the abuse was hit with blood pouring from his head.
He was lucky.I couldn’t say how many times he got hit as I had my head down worrying about myself but if the crowds aim was any good he would’ve been dead.
Learnt a few lessons that day but you don’t have to be Einstein to work out you don’t throw cans up the hill.
The other thing was the amount of idiots that threw full beer cans.
What a waste.
What makes you think they were full of beer?

gUt

Coach
Sitting in the Suncorp members section in 2006 a patron somewhere behind me raised his voice in reaction to some exciting action on the field and I think he even stood up but by the time I'd turned around he'd sat back down again and had retrieved his chardonnay.

txta2

Bench
Being abused by a Stain George supporter with baked beans teeth,a mullet and smoking a ciggie...all while holding onto a toddler and a kids hand.

Someguy

First Grade
Wet night on central Coast manly vs tigers. Tigers turning in one of the worst first half performances I have seen. Seem to recall benji kicking early in the set and giving up easy possession. We gave up on the game and went into leagues club where the air con was blasting. Wet clothes and cold air con not a good night out

Lambretta

First Grade
Sitting in the Suncorp members section in 2006 a patron somewhere behind me raised his voice in reaction to some exciting action on the field and I think he even stood up but by the time I'd turned around he'd sat back down again and had retrieved his chardonnay.

Jolly bad form old bean. Standing in the seating section is oikish enough, but in the members section too!

I hope he had a collar on his shirt

Was at the Rugby League World Sevens at the SFS in the early-mid 1990s. A wave went around the ground and people were chucking all kinds of stuff into the air as they rose in their seats. I wound up copping half a hamburger on my back, and by a half, it was the lower half with the beef patty and sauce being the side that hit my shirt first.

Fangs

Coach

I think you were at a Wallabies game, friend.

Haffa

Every year there is always that one group of 5 Dickhead Broncos fans (usually a few of them are wearing origin jerseys) who sit in the away section and abuse people around them. I hope a few of the merkins in these stories sit next to them one game.

Life's Good

Coach
Every year there is always that one group of 5 Dickhead Broncos fans (usually a few of them are wearing origin jerseys) who sit in the away section and abuse people around them. I hope a few of the merkins in these stories sit next to them one game.
Only 5?

AJB1102

First Grade
Was at the Rugby League World Sevens at the SFS in the early-mid 1990s. A wave went around the ground and people were chucking all kinds of stuff into the air as they rose in their seats. I wound up copping half a hamburger on my back, and by a half, it was the lower half with the beef patty and sauce being the side that hit my shirt first.

Free lunch what are you complaining about merkin?

Foz

Bench
What makes you think they were full of beer?

I’m guessing you’re referring to being full of other liquid.Lol.

The ones that hit my esky that I picked up weren’t opened but I’m guessing there may have been some filled with other fluids flying about.

I think the whole thing started because the guy at the bottom of the hill stood up to watch the game and was promptly told to sit down.When he turned around and gave them a gob full up the hill there was only going to be one result.