What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NSW origin side.

ouryears

Bench
FOX SPORTS
BEN HUNT — 8
Best player in a Maroons jersey not named Greg Inglis. He made some tremendous defensive plays in the first half before settling into his role as the orchestrator of Queensland’s attack. Hunt’s kicking game was spot on, particularly in setting up the second-half try for Gagai.

DAILY TELEGRAPH
BEN HUNT- 8
Sorry I dont have access to telegraph so cant paste but Ill take Best Goldens Boots word for it that they gave him an 8

NRL.COM
Ben Hunt: 7
Set up Gagai's try with well-timed kick; ran well; busted out of three tackles; kicked a 40/20. Perhaps more positional kicks needed in first 40 minutes. 7

So there you go Ouryears, just a little bit of balance to the argument.
FoxSports / NRL.COM / Telegraph
VS
Sporting News.COM / Sporting pulse / WWOS
Mate I like Benny Hunt.
But he was no 8.
The average of all ratings was 6.8
Lockyer is a QLD selector and publicly stated Ben Hunt needs to improve.
I hope he gets back on track in our colours. He has been a bit off for a few weeks now.

And we all know what happens to widdop if his halves partner doesn't show up.

That's all we need.

Here is hoping Hunt, Vaughan and a few others get their mojo back.

Belta

Juniors
I don't think Hunt done enough, I'm sure he would of been instructed to inject himself more in attack and Ive seen Hunt defend a lot better than he did. (Not helped by his forwards though)
I think Cleary done less, as stated he was instructed to do so,(Left the running game to Teddy, Maloney and cook) and instructed to focus his defence, so in that regard he went ok, except an average kicking game.

On another note I feel JDB hasn't been credited for how effective his defence was, maybe too biased on this though

ouryears

Bench
I don't think Hunt done enough, I'm sure he would of been instructed to inject himself more in attack and Ive seen Hunt defend a lot better than he did. (Not helped by his forwards though)
I think Cleary done less, as stated he was instructed to do so,(Left the running game to Teddy, Maloney and cook) and instructed to focus his defence, so in that regard he went ok, except an average kicking game.

On another note I feel JDB hasn't been credited for how effective his defence was, maybe too biased on this though
JDBs defence was awesome. He chased hard and tackled hard. Great game.

Old Timer

Coach
OT, cmon now. My point is Hunt is not "on one leg". SOO is the biggest game of the year and QLD would not select a player that was genuinely injured. Does he have a niggle? Sure he does. But if the QLD Origin team is prepared to play Hunt at halfback with a niggle even though they could have played any number of experienced talented halfbacks in that game I am sure as hell that little old SGI with no backup experienced talented halfback will be picking Hunt whilst he has this niggle.
Everything in this forum gets blown out of proportion because of the underlying hatred of McGregor (as a coach).
Hunt isn't playing on one leg. I am sure he will be there on monday and we need him to be because there is daylight between him and the next best option at SGI.
The assertion that because they played they were right is simply not correct
Qld lost and people offer up Hunt’s kick for the try as justification of his selection
If his performance was that of a fully fit player then he should be nervous about selection for game 2
Bad team selections and the results is not only the domain of StGI even state sides get it wrong

Crush

Coach
The assertion that because they played they were right is simply not correct
Qld lost and people offer up Hunt’s kick for the try as justification of his selection
If his performance was that of a fully fit player then he should be nervous about selection for game 2
Bad team selections and the results is not only the domain of StGI even state sides get it wrong
OT, I was wondering if you had left the building? Good to see you back mate.

Old Timer

Coach
OT, I was wondering if you had left the building? Good to see you back mate.
Thanks Crush
In Fiji at the moment so limited coverage at times
Re all the commentary and posts re injuries etc I suppose in simple terms it is obvious other teams can rest players and still win on a continuing basis whereas as we never really find out if we can or can’t.
IMO we are nervous nellies and when given real opportunities to find out we always defer on the conservative side.
Do we win YES we do, do we run severe risks YES we do, do we have to do it NO we don’t at least not until it is a proven fact we can’t win without playing the same 17 every week.
It is my honest belief that we can be a far better side by having increased options.

getsmarty

Immortal
Blues out to secure State of Origin series victory in front of home fans
Local Sport
r0_55_4109_2566_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Right at home: Blues lock Jack de Belin. Picture: AAP Image/Julian Smith.

After spending the first seven years of his NRL career watching State of Origin from the sidelines, Jack de Belin knows he has an opportunity to do something only one Blues side has done in the past 12 years.

Win a State of Origin series.

And like the 2014 team that hoisted the shield after claiming a thrilling two-point victory in Game Two at ANZ Stadium, the current side has the opportunity to wrap up the series with a victory in front of their home fans.

The Blues were in this exact position last year, however, and de Belin knows the Maroons will be determined to send the series to a decider in Brisbane. It’s a situation the NSW lock is desperate to avoid.

“It’s pretty important we win game two and wrap up the series,” de Belin said. “Obviously it’s a lot easier to lock it up in Sydney in front of all our fans.

“Suncorp’s a pretty tough stadium to play at, especially when it’s painted maroon, which it will be for game three, win or lose. We’ve set ourselves up, we’re in prime position with the first win, so if we get the second one we’re home.

“Queensland are going to have a lot of fight. The series is on the line for them, and it’s on the line for us as well. We’ve both got a lot to play for, they’re going to be extra hungry to tie it up and take it back to Queensland.”

After featuring as 18th man for the Blues in 2017, de Belin made his Origin debut in last week’s clash and while he noticed the rise in intensity, it’s an environment he instantly felt comfortable in.

“It was the experience of a lifetime, I really enjoyed it and it was extra sweet because we got the win. Overall, the game was quick, but it wasn’t crazy quick where I felt like I was off my feet pretty early.

“It’s a bit more than a club game for sure, the intensity, the speed. It’s obviously a step up, but if you’re ready for that mentally, which I was, it didn’t feel like anything out of the ordinary.”

The Dragons lock will line up opposite NSW teammate and Manly counterpart Jake Trbojevic when St George Illawarra take on the Sea Eagles at WIN Stadium on Saturday night.

After spending a week in camp alongside the 24-year-old, de Belin knows the Dragons have their work cut out for them on Saturday.

“He’s a good player, he’s a toiler, he works really hard and you’re never going to get let down by someone like him. He’s got a great connection there with his brother [Tom], they obviously play very well together.

r0_265_5184_3191_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

New recruits: St George Illawarra Dragons Women's signings (from left) Oneata Schwalger, Rikeya Horne and Raecene McGregor. Picture: Robert Peet

“It will be good coming up against him, I love testing myself against the best locks and I feel I do a pretty good job against someone that’s ahead of me or is in a spot in a rep team ahead of me.”

De Belin’s comments came as the Dragons unveiled the latest signings for their NRL Women’s side. Corrimal junior Rikeyah Horne headlines a group featuring Jillaroo Jessica Sergis, Oneata Schwalger and Kiwi Ferns stars Honey Hireme and Raecene McGregor.

“Honey is a major signing for us,” Women’s coach Daniel Lacey said. “She fits into that mould of players we want here.

“We’ve got those locals, those young girls coming through, one of them’s Rikeyah Horne, she was just in our Tarsha Gale system only last year, so the likes of her playing centre or the opposite wing with someone like Honey, she’s only going to benefit from that.”''

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-to-secure-series-victory-in-game-two/?cs=302

Drag Queen

Bench
Blues out to secure State of Origin series victory in front of home fans
Local Sport
r0_55_4109_2566_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Right at home: Blues lock Jack de Belin. Picture: AAP Image/Julian Smith.

After spending the first seven years of his NRL career watching State of Origin from the sidelines, Jack de Belin knows he has an opportunity to do something only one Blues side has done in the past 12 years.

Win a State of Origin series.

And like the 2014 team that hoisted the shield after claiming a thrilling two-point victory in Game Two at ANZ Stadium, the current side has the opportunity to wrap up the series with a victory in front of their home fans.

The Blues were in this exact position last year, however, and de Belin knows the Maroons will be determined to send the series to a decider in Brisbane. It’s a situation the NSW lock is desperate to avoid.

“It’s pretty important we win game two and wrap up the series,” de Belin said. “Obviously it’s a lot easier to lock it up in Sydney in front of all our fans.

“Suncorp’s a pretty tough stadium to play at, especially when it’s painted maroon, which it will be for game three, win or lose. We’ve set ourselves up, we’re in prime position with the first win, so if we get the second one we’re home.

“Queensland are going to have a lot of fight. The series is on the line for them, and it’s on the line for us as well. We’ve both got a lot to play for, they’re going to be extra hungry to tie it up and take it back to Queensland.”

After featuring as 18th man for the Blues in 2017, de Belin made his Origin debut in last week’s clash and while he noticed the rise in intensity, it’s an environment he instantly felt comfortable in.

“It was the experience of a lifetime, I really enjoyed it and it was extra sweet because we got the win. Overall, the game was quick, but it wasn’t crazy quick where I felt like I was off my feet pretty early.

“It’s a bit more than a club game for sure, the intensity, the speed. It’s obviously a step up, but if you’re ready for that mentally, which I was, it didn’t feel like anything out of the ordinary.”

The Dragons lock will line up opposite NSW teammate and Manly counterpart Jake Trbojevic when St George Illawarra take on the Sea Eagles at WIN Stadium on Saturday night.

After spending a week in camp alongside the 24-year-old, de Belin knows the Dragons have their work cut out for them on Saturday.

“He’s a good player, he’s a toiler, he works really hard and you’re never going to get let down by someone like him. He’s got a great connection there with his brother [Tom], they obviously play very well together.

r0_265_5184_3191_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

New recruits: St George Illawarra Dragons Women's signings (from left) Oneata Schwalger, Rikeya Horne and Raecene McGregor. Picture: Robert Peet

“It will be good coming up against him, I love testing myself against the best locks and I feel I do a pretty good job against someone that’s ahead of me or is in a spot in a rep team ahead of me.”

De Belin’s comments came as the Dragons unveiled the latest signings for their NRL Women’s side. Corrimal junior Rikeyah Horne headlines a group featuring Jillaroo Jessica Sergis, Oneata Schwalger and Kiwi Ferns stars Honey Hireme and Raecene McGregor.

“Honey is a major signing for us,” Women’s coach Daniel Lacey said. “She fits into that mould of players we want here.

“We’ve got those locals, those young girls coming through, one of them’s Rikeyah Horne, she was just in our Tarsha Gale system only last year, so the likes of her playing centre or the opposite wing with someone like Honey, she’s only going to benefit from that.”''

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-to-secure-series-victory-in-game-two/?cs=302
Go girls, and go the boys. I wasn't in favour of one of my girls playing Union in high school. Her choice of course but the whole team were tiny. Her tiny nose now leans towards NZ but nothing that can't be fixed. PS. They won against an impressive Redfern team. I know it isn't NRL but I have huge respect for the girls that play this game Xx

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
simst-1861152rc.jpg

DRAGONS

Sims convinced Origin debut will come
Author
Tanisha Stanton
Timestamp
Wed 13 Jun 2018, 07:01 AM

Instead of getting down in the dumps after again being 18th man for NSW in Origin I, Dragons forward Tariq Sims has been motivated by another near-miss.

Sims showed he was not brooding over his non-selection on Monday when he produced a powerhouse display in St George Illawarra's 18-16 win over the Bulldogs.

The 80-minute stellar performance included the Dragons' second try, 141 running metres, as well as 25 tackles and a game-high seven tackle breaks.

The 28-year-old has been on the fringe of his Origin debut since 2015 when he was first called into NSW camp for game two as 19th man.

For game two in Sydney on June 24, the Blues are likely to keep the same squad but if an injury was to occur Sims would be first in line to step in.

"I'm very motivated to hopefully try and push my way into the team," Sims said.

"We had a pretty embarrassing loss to Penrith so having the loss and having the bye weekend with me being 18th man it was a long time between drinks where you couldn't go out there and redeem yourself.

"As an 18th man looking in, I didn't think it [the Blues win] could give me a bit more motivation but it did."

His spot in the Blues squad is even more than deserving after changing his role at the Dragons from a front rower when he was first contracted to cementing the left edge second-rower position, which has seen his game reach new heights.

grahamj-180611nh11.jpg

Dragons prop James Graham. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
With the Blues having 11 debutants, Sims said despite having to take a back seat for game one he enjoyed observing the young talent getting a taste of Origin football.

"It was pretty special to stand back and enjoy watching them competing and training at a high level," Sims said.

"I remember at one stage there I think we were playing cards in the team room and I was looking around the team and thinking, geez he's a superstar, he's a superstar, he's young but he's still a superstar. Then you had James Maloney who was steering the ship with young Nathan Cleary."

Dragons teammate James Graham finally got closure on his Bulldogs move on Monday, playing against them for the first time since his departure at the end of last season.

Graham said coming into the game it wasn't about him facing his former club but about the Dragons getting back on track with a win.

"For me this week it was all about getting the win," Graham said.

"It was longer than two weeks since we've played and we lost that game against Penrith, so for me it was just about trying to perform well and try and get this team a win."

Despite the Bulldogs having won just three from 12 in 2018, Graham commended his former club on their efforts.

"I think you need to give a lot of credit to a club like Canterbury at the moment because every single game they come out and play they've been in the game, in the battle," Graham said.

"They're in every game. You look at their results, they beat Penrith and they were close to beating Penrith again and then they've come close to beating us."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/14/sims-convinced-origin-debut-will-come/

getsmarty

Immortal
debelinj-1806062937.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

De Belin reveals Fittler's plea to ignore Maroons' tactics
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 13 Jun 2018, 06:00 PM

NSW players watched video footage of niggling tactics by Queensland players in past State of Origin matches and were told not to react as they prepared for last Wednesday night's series-opening 22-12 win at the MCG.

St George Illawarra forward Jack De Belin revealed the Blues team, which included 11 Origin rookies, had been warned to expect Maroons lock Josh McGuire and centre Will Chambers to try and get in their heads.

Chambers had a running battle with NSW centre Latrell Mitchell and was later suspended for a knee lift which left Blues hooker Damien Cook with a sternum injury.

"We knew what to expect, we had obviously seen a lot of clips in the years gone by of guys like Nate Myles and Josh McGuire," De Belin said in the lead-up to the Dragons' match against Manly on Saturday at WIN Stadium.

"Their role in the team is to put players off their game and ruffle a few feathers. It was spoken about, the boys knew not to lose their heads, and to keep their cool and get on with the process."

De Belin was watching from the interchange bench when Cook came reeling out of an attempted tackle on Chambers in the 59th minute.

Coaches Corner: Which Origin stars backed up

The incident was not penalised but was picked up by the match review committee who had previously issued Chambers with a concerning act notice over his running style.

"It looked like he had broken his sternum," De Belin said of Cook. "He did well to get his groove back and continue with the game but he was in a lot of pain."

The Blues only conceded one penalty all match and De Belin said NSW coach Brad Fittler had told them to remain disciplined no matter what tactics Queensland employed.

"That is what a lot of their game is built on, testing the waters there and they try to ruffle a few feathers," de Belin said. "That's to be expected and it is just the way you handle it.

"It wasn't like a massive point, it was just briefly mentioned but Freddy picked players who are going to keep cool heads and get on with the job and that is what happened."

Mitchell, who scored a try and was disallowed another late in the match, was specifically told not to react to any niggling and sledging by Chambers.

"That's Will Chambers to a tee," De Belin said. "He is a good niggler and he has always got a lot to say but Latrell kept his cool and he did a great job.

"He obviously didn't let him get under his skin and he is pretty talented so I think Will Chambers had his hands full."

With the Maroons needing to win Origin II to keep the Holden State of Origin series alive, De Belin was expecting a more torrid clash at ANZ Stadium on June 24.

"Queensland are going to have a lot of fight, the series is on the line so they are going to be extra hungry," he said.

"I don't know if they are going to pick new heads but the players that didn't perform up to standards are obviously going to have a point to prove and whenever they have been doubted before they always come back with a bang."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/14/de-belin-reveals-fittlers-plea-to-ignore-maroons-tactics/

The Friz

Juniors

I felt the same thing happened to NSW as happens to Dragons when JDB comes off. They/we lose the starch from the middle and start to get dominated through the middle. He should play 80 whenever possible imo

SBD82

Coach
I felt the same thing happened to NSW as happens to Dragons when JDB comes off. They/we lose the starch from the middle and start to get dominated through the middle. He should play 80 whenever possible imo
I thought the same. I think his impact on the first game has gone largely unnoticed, but the period where qld dominated the middle was when he was off the park.

I don't think he would be as effective if he was playing 80, but both NSW and the dragons would do well to think of ways to cover while he is off.

For mine, I'd like to see chrichton dropped for NSW and Sims used as an extra middle and cover for the edges in case of injury. I can't see it happening as Chrichton didn't do much wrong in his time on the field, but I think that friz's best work was on the edge, and we lost that domination when he moved to the middle. I also think that Sims would have more impact in the middle than friz.

rednwhites

Juniors
Campbell-Gillard out of origin with a probable broken jaw. Although he's not a prop, this has got to open the door for Tariq who will now be extra pumped for Saturday. A pumped Sims = trouble for Sea Eagles.

SBD82

Coach
Campbell-Gillard out of origin with a probable broken jaw. Although he's not a prop, this has got to open the door for Tariq who will now be extra pumped for Saturday. A pumped Sims = trouble for Sea Eagles.
If he's out I'd love to see tariq get a run. I was starting to think he may be the perpetual bridesmaid.

Still kind of worried that they may look to a specialist prop to replace RCG if he's out. I'd hate to think what that might do to tariqs confidence after wanting it so bad for so long.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
If Mitchell is ruled out that must open the door for Aitken?, or will Fittler move Tommy Turbo centre and Cotric wing?

MilanDragon

Juniors
If he's out I'd love to see tariq get a run. I was starting to think he may be the perpetual bridesmaid.

Still kind of worried that they may look to a specialist prop to replace RCG if he's out. I'd hate to think what that might do to tariqs confidence after wanting it so bad for so long.

I think Ryan James will come in. Apparently they had arranged his flights and told him to pack his bags before a last minute change of mind.

Latest posts