What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

Happy MEel

First Grade
I think you’ve revolutionised strength and conditioning Baz. Negligible benefit?? You better tell all 16 clubs because they all do a f**k load of it during the offseason.

Edit: actually just tell the AFL merkin so we have a competitive advantage next year.

Bazal

Post Whore
I think you’ve revolutionised strength and conditioning Baz. Negligible benefit?? You better tell all 16 clubs because they all do a f**k load of it during the offseason.

Edit: actually just tell the AFL merkin so we have a competitive advantage next year.

So what? They run because it develops baseline fitness, not because it develops anything like match fitness. That's why guys like Hayne get beaten in distance runs by middle aged men like Brad Arthur...

They do a merkinload more high intensity work. All the papers love to flog the sand dune runs and all that shit but that sort of rubbish is useless to you as a rugby league player. That's about attitude as much as anything else, for the record. And yes, besides all the strength and power work, some of that high intensity work involves running but it's not something you can or should do with a smashed wrist...

The point is people sit back and go "hurr durr you can run with a broken wrist" but wtf does that mean, and wtf does it amount to? Yeah, he could probably do low intensity endurance work, but he couldn't do that high intensity work that gets you fit for surging above the baseline whenever you take a hit up or make a tackle.

Happy MEel

First Grade
So why has he played so many games? It can’t be because he was in a shit team or they would’ve mostly been losses.
Possibly because he was at the bottom of that middle forward pecking order and was only required for minimal contribution. He only averaged 14 tackles and 7.2 hit ups per game last year according to the link below (it was the first one I could find). I’d say BA brought him over to contribute much more than that...perhaps he’s not up to it.

https://www.totalfootystats.com.au/...a-eels/kane-evans&disp_year=2017#.WyGOdhauaEc

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He’s obviously not good enough to parachute into a team after a win, on a short turnaround. But if BA didn’t rate him he wouldn’t have signed him.
Ummmmmmm shock Horror maybe BA was wrong??? You know that sometimes coaches do make mistakes as much as you don’t want to admit it.

Look at Bennett with Bird, he’s been a disaster and surplus to their needs when they really needed an organising half.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Possibly because he was at the bottom of that middle forward pecking order and was only required for minimal contribution. He only averaged 14 tackles and 7.2 hit ups per game last year according to the link below (it was the first one I could find). I’d say BA brought him over to contribute much more than that...perhaps he’s not up to it.

https://www.totalfootystats.com.au/...a-eels/kane-evans&disp_year=2017#.WyGOdhauaEc
Stop trying to bring facts into this, BA signed him and rated him and he had played 78 first grade games and won over half of them so he must be awesome.

Paul Gallen has lost nearly more games than any other first grade player that must mean he is shit.

Pou logic.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Agreed he was behind a couple of guys in the pecking order, but they aren't just ranked from best to worst middle forward; they have roles. Evans was a primary ball carrier in the middle. This is why in the one game where he started last year he made more carries than fellow middle forwards JWH and Liu despite playing fewer minutes.

I have no doubt Arthur wants him to play longer minutes and he obviously isn't used to it. This is the best explanation for why his ISP stint has been extended. But he was also never going to come straight back into the team after a win. He isn't a key edge player like Ma'u or Moses. He's a limited-minutes middle forward.

His stats over the past three weeks are interesting:

https://www.nswrl.com.au/siteassets...-nsw/2018/stats-reports/rd12-magpiesbears.pdf

https://www.nswrl.com.au/siteassets...nsw/2018/stats-reports/rd13-wentywarriors.pdf

https://www.nswrl.com.au/siteassets...sw/2018/stats-reports/rd14-magpiesdragons.pdf

Someone f**ked up the minutes played stats for Wenty but the previous two weeks showed him increasing his minutes. His runs relative to tackles are increasing and on the weekend his work off the ball dropped right off. He might've just been bludging but the fact he made more carries indicates he has been told to save himself for running the ball. I suspect he might be a talented dumb merkin who finds it difficult to follow a game plan.

But there is no doubt he is talented. He has shown it plenty of times.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ummmmmmm shock Horror maybe BA was wrong???
Wrong about what?
You know that sometimes coaches do make mistakes as much as you don’t want to admit it.
I'm sure they do. My point was always that you wouldn't know what those mistakes are. That's why fans invent a thousand reasons why their team is losing but shut up when they win.
Look at Bennett with Bird, he’s been a disaster and surplus to their needs when they really needed an organising half.
He's been injured FFS! And now you think you know better than Bennett?!?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Stop trying to bring facts into this, BA signed him and rated him and he had played 78 first grade games and won over half of them so he must be awesome.
So I give you facts about his win record and then you pretend Happy MEels is the only one presenting facts?

You're a dishonest f**kwit, and a waste of time.
Paul Gallen has lost nearly more games than any other first grade player that must mean he is shit.

Pou logic.
Here you go again. You think an absolute value is the same as a ratio.

Happy MEel

First Grade
So I give you facts about his win record and then you pretend Happy MEels is the only one presenting facts?

You're a dishonest f**kwit, and a waste of time.

Here you go again. You think an absolute value is the same as a ratio.
It’s singular merkin, not plural.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Hey @Poupou Escobar, serious question as I don’t think I’m interpreting what you’re saying correctly.

You’ve mentioned a few times that Evans was never going to come straight back into the team after a win, but we had lost rounds 9, 10 and 11 before his return in round 12.

Could you clarify what you mean?

Latest posts