What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knock-on Effect NSW Cup - Eels Team

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hey @Poupou Escobar, serious question as I don’t think I’m interpreting what you’re saying correctly.

You’ve mentioned a few times that Evans was never going to come straight back into the team after a win, but we had lost rounds 9, 10 and 11 before his return in round 12.

Could you clarify what you mean?
How fit was he likely to be on his first game back? See, it's not one thing or the other. You have to account for all the factors. It's not 'shifting the goalposts'. The fact is he had broken bones at the start of pre-season, he hurt his ribs in round three and his ankle somewhere before round seven. It is round 15 and he has only appeared in seven games (four NRL and three ISP). He's missed a lot of football this year on top of having an injury-disrupted pre-season. These are all factors and need to be considered holistically.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So I give you facts about his win record and then you pretend Happy MEels is the only one presenting facts?

You're a dishonest f**kwit, and a waste of time.

Here you go again. You think an absolute value is the same as a ratio.
His stats show that hecontributed SFA to the Roosters wins, he was barely a cog in the wheel and they were happy to let him go even though they were light on in middle forwards.

I’m a dishonest f**kwit and a waste of time??? Oh the irony you know it all POS.

Come back when you are ever right about anything.

Happy MEel

First Grade
How fit was he likely to be on his first game back? See, it's not one thing or the other. You have to account for all the factors. It's not 'shifting the goalposts'. The fact is he had broken bones at the start of pre-season, he hurt his ribs in round three and his ankle somewhere before round seven. It is round 15 and he has only appeared in seven games (four NRL and three ISP). He's missed a lot of football this year on top of having an injury-disrupted pre-season. These are all factors and need to be considered holistically.
Fair enough. Although I’d answer your first question with ‘fit enough to make our top 17’ based on what I assume he is getting paid (I’d say $350-$400k). Vave has played 2 games since Evans has been available for just over 20 minutes per game so that could be argued as a minimum effort he would need to get through. I understand the point about trying to get his minutes up in Wenty but he can work on that over the coming offseason if it’s required. If it was solely fitness keeping him at Wenty then I’d be disappointed that BA has assessed Vave to be in better condition than Evans...even with his time off.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
As you say, playing twenty minutes a week isn't going to help him. It's not helping Vave either but I suspect Arthur isn't too concerned about his development.

Happy MEel

First Grade
As you say, playing twenty minutes a week isn't going to help him. It's not helping Vave either but I suspect Arthur isn't too concerned about his development.
You reckon BA gave up on this season after Rd 11? That’s the only reason he’d focus on Evan’s development over putting the strongest team on the park...unless he thinks Vave’s 20mins per game would help the team more than Kane’s.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think for only 20 minutes they are worth about the same. If rugby league matches only went for 20 minutes Vave would be in the mix for Origin. His problem certainly isn't his effectiveness in limited minutes.

strider

Post Whore
I dont know what is worse. Pou arguing evans is overlooked cos he is not fit ... or you merkins endlessly arguing with him about it

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I dont know what is worse. Pou arguing evans is overlooked cos he is not fit ... or you merkins endlessly arguing with him about it
Why else would he be overlooked? He's not some kid new to first grade. He is an established first grader. I'm sure the coach watched him play prior to this year.

emjaycee

Coach
Fair enough. Although I’d answer your first question with ‘fit enough to make our top 17’ based on what I assume he is getting paid (I’d say $350-$400k). Vave has played 2 games since Evans has been available for just over 20 minutes per game so that could be argued as a minimum effort he would need to get through. I understand the point about trying to get his minutes up in Wenty but he can work on that over the coming offseason if it’s required. If it was solely fitness keeping him at Wenty then I’d be disappointed that BA has assessed Vave to be in better condition than Evans...even with his time off.
Maybe its not about fitness but style.

Vave did have longer to work on his running mechanics afterall.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I doubt it. A guy told me once that Evans is a dynamic runner
Well he is...in much the same way a baby giraffe is a dynamic runner
giphy.gif

So, after last week's Wenty game, when I explained that we were playing all of our edge players on the left edge, leaving our right edge vulnerable, and that it might be a dress rehearsal for FG.....you guys thought I was kidding......

I'll try, If anybody is going to Cayless' post match presser, ask him whether the new structure was a trial run for a new strategy in first grade, and if so, whether they'd consider thinking of some way of making the opposition run at the strong side.

Chipmunk

Coach
So, after last week's Wenty game, when I explained that we were playing all of our edge players on the left edge, leaving our right edge vulnerable, and that it might be a dress rehearsal for FG.....you guys thought I was kidding......

We probably would've been better having most of our right edge being left right out last night.

Latest posts