What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight Vision

First Grade
As much as I'd love to have him here, this tells me we are likely to be zero chance of him coming to the Hunter...as well as the perennial interest from the Roosters for anybody that is on the market, it is more likely he is also the next target of the Sharks, with Gallen and Lewis at the back end of their respective careers - just my take on it.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/rea...y/news-story/7a63b9d2044e141bf4fd73ef67402ce7
Oh well that doesnt look too good. Im getting anxious to sign a terrifying bad ass behemoth.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
While I also don’t think it’s likely that we’ll get him the fact that he owns a house in Sydney doesn’t mean he wouldn’t consider the move.

Most Sydney based players would own property in Sydney or at least have their lives and family set up in Sydney but they will still move foe the right financial incentive. Basically what I’m saying is we would probably have to pay fairly big overs to have a chance at getting Tapau but it would be worth it IMO.

PhilGould

Bench
- Knights have been told Blake Ferguson is interested in potentially joining them next season. Knights are internally discussing a 3-year offer but nothing has been tabled yet. They may use the upcoming bye week as a chance to bring Blake up for a look around before negotiations get serious.

- Despite being born and bred in Western Sydney, Tim Grant grew up as a die-hard Knights supporter, which is why he's so keen on the idea of possibly signing with us. There was talk of him joining us pre-June 30 but there's been no commitment made from Newcastle's end, nor have the Tigers been asked for a release. Based on what Brown said in the Q&A the other day it sounds unlikely.

- Darren Mooney is expected to sign a new deal as Head of Football at the Knights. Likely will be performance based and open-ended like Brown's new deal.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5470355/would-you-sign-fergo-if-you-were-in-charge/?cs=306

Old dog

Juniors
Brown seemed keen on not using up all his 30 signing space but can't understand why he can't sign Grant for this year based on injuries and for next year as a replacement for Heighinton with Glasby for Lillyman. Some current players off contract end of this year will not be resigned especially if right ones come along. So space and cap will be available. Don't know why they haven't made offer and if refused then move on.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Yes as a player not so sure about person and also have doubts about signing too many from one club where a possible bad culture could occur due to having a large group of recruits from one club

I thought that about SKD and Pearce before they came here as they’ve both got a bit of an off-field wrap sheet but they’ve both turned out to be really good signings for us and I’ve only heard good things about their impact at the club and with the younger guys in the squad. With this in mind I’ll trust Brown and Mooney’s judgement on this one, if they decide to bring Fergo here then I assume it’s on the back of plenty of due diligence.

Also on club culture, they all come from a successful club with a no BS coach so I feel like there’s a bigger risk of them picking up bad culture from our existing playing squad rather than the other way round, but we’ve punted all the lazy overpaid players now anyway so I don’t see it being a problem.

One thing I’ll give the Roosters is that they’re very arrogant and we’ve been the nice guys of the league for way too long now and it’s gotten us no where. I wouldn’t mind bringing a bit of arrogance and a winning mentality to the club because I don’t see us developing it in our young guys who’ve only grown up seeing us getting hammered year in year out for a decade now.

Let’s say we get Fergo and Grant, this is what our first choice team next year would look like.

1. Ponga
2. Fergo
3. Moga
4. Ramien
5. SKD
6. Watson
7. Pearce
8. Ese’ese
9. Griffin
10. D. Saifiti/Glasby
11. Fitzgibbon
12. Barnett
13. Guerra

14. Levi
15. D. Saifiti/Glasby
16. Grant
17. Mat’autia

While there’s still some depth issues there and we would still be one or two quality forwards short imo it looks a fair bit better than this year.

Noname36

First Grade
Yes as a player not so sure about person and also have doubts about signing too many from one club where a possible bad culture could occur due to having a large group of recruits from one club

I’d agree if say we were picking up a 21 year old Fergo and the other players we were bringing in with him were your Todd Carneys or Josh Dugans of the world but that isn’t the case here. Players tend to calm down significantly when they come here and while Fergo is a dickhead on the field you don’t hear anything from him off it nowadays. He’s grown up a lot. I mean he is 28 now. He’s given up the booze and it’s done wonders for his game. One of the top wingers in the game atm and would walk into our side over Sio.

Old dog

Juniors
I’d agree if say we were picking up a 21 year old Fergo and the other players we were bringing in with him were your Todd Carneys or Josh Dugans of the world but that isn’t the case here. Players tend to calm down significantly when they come here and while Fergo is a dickhead on the field you don’t hear anything from him off it nowadays. He’s grown up a lot. I mean he is 28 now. He’s given up the booze and it’s done wonders for his game. One of the top wingers in the game atm and would walk into our side over Sio.
Not the brightest boy, didn't he have problems earlier this year with mate visiting while his wife was out and ending with police visit, and it is only last year SOO out with Dugan at pub, both those incidents recent enough to still have worries for me.

It's also quite possible that may not happen and it could work in our favour. People had their doubts about Pearce too..

Knight Vision

First Grade
Big yes from me for Fergo. He would complete a potent backline capable of winning a Premiership.......if only we had some bad ass front rowers to give them room to move.

Dave_

Juniors
yep no injuries and I reckn we would be well in the 8 and pushing for the top 4.
Absolutely. No reason to think otherwise. The top sides this year aren't anything special... it's a fairly soft comp.

This is the kind of season where 8th will win the premiership

PhilGould

Bench
Sharks have apparently given Sosaia Feki permission to talk to other clubs about a move pre-June 30. Brown said the other day they are hoping to bring in a few more outside backs, and Feki fits the mould of an experienced winger from a good club. Would think we'll make a play for him.

Swarzey

Bench
f**kin oath we should. Actually surprises me that the Sharks aren't doing much to keep him; he's always been super reliable and a great finisher. Would be a considerable upgrade over Sio and would have a great partnership with Ramien next year.

Latest posts