What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ISP

ouryears

Bench
So I wonder why they moved Field to 6 in ISP. By the way, looks like both Lomax and Herbert will be good future backup options for the first grade fullback option.
Lomax and Herbert will be great.
Hopefully Field will learn to defend, he can certainly attack.
I think they put him there to get the attack going, it's worked as they have won a few in a row. Just work on his D now.

possm

Coach
I think they put him there to get the attack going, it's worked as they have won a few in a row. Just work on his D now.
Ok, great news

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Field played pretty well yesterday in his natural position. Fullback is not his go. He had a great halves combination with Payne in the U20's and last week (with Payne) and this week (with Nicholls) he seems to be a more relaxed player.

The bigger issue for mine is that Herbert is unsigned passed this year, as is LAM, Sele, Garrick, Periera (all of which I would re-sign) as well as Nighty, Allgood (who I wouldn't re-sign) and Latimore.(??? over re-sign).

ouryears

Bench
Field played pretty well yesterday in his natural position. Fullback is not his go. He had a great halves combination with Payne in the U20's and last week (with Payne) and this week (with Nicholls) he seems to be a more relaxed player.

The bigger issue for mine is that Herbert is unsigned passed this year, as is LAM, Sele, Garrick, Periera (all of which I would re-sign) as well as Nighty, Allgood (who I wouldn't re-sign) and Latimore.(??? over re-sign).
Well said mate, everything you say needs to be done.

possm

Coach

I think you've got that pretty well right. I would not re-sign Latimore, Nightingale, Allgood and maybe even Garrick but would extend, LAM, Sele, Periera. We need backup players and if LAM moves on, we need to buy an extra two really good props for next season.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I think you've got that pretty well right. I would not re-sign Latimore, Nightingale, Allgood and maybe even Garrick but would extend, LAM, Sele, Periera. We need backup players and if LAM moves on, we need to buy an extra two really good props for next season.

I assume you also mean to re-sign Herbert as well.
I agree we need a couple of props but who? there isn't that much quality available other than Boyd and I think he will go to the Titans on big money. The rest are not much better than what we have although I think Vave could be value.
BTW Garrick is improving now that he is over injury and playing centre.
Recruitment is a real jigsaw now, filling basically 2 squads, those who will play 1st grade, those who should be ready to play first grade and those who are really just reggies players. Don't forget we also have development players that need to be either promoted or continue with their development for another year. It not as simple as signing X, because whatever we pay for X, will have a domino effect of other players in the squad who may need upgrading a current contract (Lomax for example) or re-signing a current player (LAM or Sele for example).

getsmarty

Immortal

Latimore would be cheap and he is experienced. Depending on who's available, he may be worth keeping.
Agree re Allgood and Nighty.

P.S look at penrith and the cover they have. Injuries galore...they have done very well...

itsme

Juniors

Leilani Latu is currently sitting in Q cup. I think he would be a good buy.

getsmarty

Immortal
2018_isp_dragons_round_4_knights_jordon_pereria.jpg

ISP team: Round 14 v Wentworthville
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 5 Jun 2018, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra Intrust Super Premiership coach Mat Head has named his Round 14 team to play the Wentworthville Magpies on Sunday, June 10 at Ringrose Park.

The ISP Dragons will be looking to go back-to-back following their big win against the North Sydney Bears.

The Jersey Flegg Under-20s Dragons have a bye this weekend.

ISP team for Round 14 v Wentworthville:

1. Patrick Herbert
2. John Tohi
3. Steven Marsters
4. Reuben Garrick
5. Jordan Pereira
6. Jai Field
7. Darren Nicholls
8. Mitchell Allgood
9. Reece Robson
10. Josh Kerr
11. Jacob Host
12. Luciano Leilua
13. Hame Sele

Interchange:
14. Joe Lovodua
15. Jackson Ford
18. Ryan Fletcher
19. Pio Sokobalavu

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/05/isp-team-round-14-v-wentworthville/

getsmarty

Immortal
_1nh8223e.jpg

INTRUST SUPER PREMIERSHIP

Nicholls, Herbert instrumental in Dragons' ISP win
Author
Troy Whittaker
Timestamp
Sun 10 Jun 2018, 04:30 PM

St George Illawarra have found their way to a third consecutive Intrust Super Premiership NSW victory, edging the Wentworthville Magpies 22-10 in a tough performance at Ringrose Park on Sunday (10 June) afternoon.

Magpies 12 - Dragons 22

The Dragons were guilty of coughing up possession far too easily in a scrappy game, but their resolute defence was enough to earn them another two competition points.

Fullback Patrick Herbert was instrumental in the win, proving a constant threat with ball in hand, and the game management of halfback Darren Nicholls was crucial.

The result sees the Dragons climb back to third on the Intrust Super Premiership NSW ladder, while Wentworthville remains in ninth place.

A pre-match downpour put an emphasis on ball handling to begin the action, with both teams playing simple football and working through their sets.

That in mind, It was St George Illawarra who opened the scoring after seven minutes through an easy Nicholls penalty goal.

An error inside their own 'red-zone' following the restart immediately put the pressure back on the visitors, but their defence held firm to ward off Wentworthville.

It wasn't long before the Dragons were down the other end of the field and they were able to take full advantage of the territory. A pin-point bomb from Nicholls was swallowed by a leaping Luciano Leilua who crashed into the in-goal.

Nicholls had no issues with the conversion, adding the extra two points to put the Red V ahead 8-nil.

Mistakes crept into the game during the back-end of the first-half as the sides struggled to hold the ball in the drizzling rain. Following a flurry of Dragons' errors, the Magpies were able to set up camp on their opposition's line for an extended period.

The pressure looked to have paid off when Magpies winger Edward Aiono dived over in the right-hand corner – but the referee called the play back for a prior St George Illawarra indiscretion.

Wentworthville wasn't able to capitalise on the next set either as the Dragons' desperate scrambling defence prevailed.

With one minute before half-time St George Illawarra struck a decisive blow via winger Jordan Pereira.

After receiving a beautiful bullet pass, Pereira scorched down the left-hand touchline to register his 12th four-pointer of the season and extend his lead as the competition's leading try-scorer.

Nicholls' goal attempt from the sideline unluckily struck the upright and bounced away, sending the Dragons into the break up by two converted tries.

Wentworthville began the second-half in fantastic fashion, forcing two repeat sets in a row with deft kicks. But again the Dragons defence refused to be breached, forcing a knock-on and regaining possession.

The game was halted momentarily as St George Illawarra prop Mitchell Allgood received medical attention from the trainers and then groggily walked up the tunnel injured.

The Dragons attacked when play resumed to no avail as Wentworthville fought hard to stay in the match.

A mix-up between Herbert and Pereira under a high kick led to a knock-on and gave the Magpies a prime chance – and they finally cracked the Saints' line when halfback Rhys Davies stepped his way across the stripe.

Nathan Davis nailed the conversion to reduce the margin to six with a quarter of the match to go.

Wentworthville soon lost front-rower Joshjua Tangitau to a leg injury, leaving both teams down to three men on the bench for the last 15 minutes.

Herbert gave St George Illawarra a comfortable lead when he touched down in the 66th minute. Nicholls couldn't convert the try, leaving the Magpies needing to score two converted tries to steal a win.

An enthralling finish was set up when Wentworthville prop Oregon Kaufusi barged his way over for a try. Davis kicked the goal to make the gap just four points.

It was as close as they'd get, however. On the stroke of fulltime, Nicholls snatched the Dragons' fourth try of the afternoon to complete a solid display from the Red V.

St George Illawarra takes on the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles in Round 15 of the Intrust Super Premiership NSW, while Wentworthville is up against the resurgent Wyong Roos.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/10/nicholls-herbert-instrumental-in-dragons-isp-win/

getsmarty

Immortal
2018_dragons_isp_round_9_josh_kerr.jpg

TEAM LISTS

ISP team: Round 15 v Blacktown Workers
Author
Timestamp
Tue 12 Jun 2018, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra Intrust Super Premiership coach Mat Head has named his Round 15 team to play the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles on Sunday, June 17 at WIN Stadium, Wollongong (1pm).

The ISP Dragons currently sit at fourth on the competition ladder following their third-straight win over the Wentworthville Magpies.

ISP team for Round 15 v Blacktown Workers:

1. Patrick Herbert
2. John Tohi
3. Steven Marsters
4. Reuben Garrick
5. Jordan Pereira
6. Jai Field
7. Darren Nicholls
8. Josh Kerr
9. Reece Robson
10. Blake Lawrie
11. Jackson Ford
12. Luciano Leilua
13. Hame Sele

Interchange:
14. Joe Lovodua
15. Jayden Morgan
18. Ryan Fletcher
20. Pio Sokobalavu

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/12/isp-team-round-15-v-blacktown-workers/

getsmarty

Immortal
2018---flegg---dragons---hayden-lomax---4735_1.jpg

JERSEY FLEGG

Jersey Flegg team: Round 15 v Sea Eagles
Author
Timestamp
Tue 12 Jun 2018, 04:00 PM

St George Illawarra Jersey Flegg coach Wayne Collins has named his team to play the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Saturday, June 16.

Kicking off at 3:15pm, the Dragons will be the curtain raiser to their NRL counterparts' respective clash against Manly at 5:30pm.

Jersey Flegg team for Round 15 v Sea Eagles:

1. Tristan Sailor
2. Jason Gillard
3. Matheson Johns
4. Shaun Sauni-Esau
5. Jiye Ellis
6. Tyran Wishart
7. Jackson Willis
8. Bailey Dickinson
9. Cooper Purcell
10. Juvilee Samiu
11. Trent Peoples
12. Matthew Delbanco
13. Hayden Lomax

Interchange:
14. Tom Angel
15. Matt Sheppard
16. Mathew Nicholson
17. Luke Gale
18. Shalom O'Ofou
19. Sam McCann
20. Dylan Morris

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/06/12/jersey-flegg-team-round-15-v-sea-eagles/

ouryears

Bench
Blacktown leading Dragon's 8-0 30 mins into first half.
Jackson Hastings playing for Blacktown.