What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 15 vs Storm @ McDonald Jones Stadium

Who will win? Round 15: Knights v Storm

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dave_

Juniors
I don't care about the injury situation, Cogger cannot see FG again... literally anyone would have done a better job. He is worse than Lamb...think about that for second!

Apey

Staff member
Forget the top 8, even with Pearce back we aren't a top 8 team. 9th - 12th is what we should be expecting. If we're in the bottom 4 again it's going to be a very hard pill to swallow. That being said, 15th is an improvement on the last few seasons..

perverse

Referee
Forget the top 8, even with Pearce back we aren't a top 8 team. 9th - 12th is what we should be expecting. If we're in the bottom 4 again it's going to be a very hard pill to swallow. That being said, 15th is an improvement on the last few seasons..
I think we all sort of thought we'd finish in that 9-12 area, and that's where we'll end up. Without the Pearce injury it could have been different.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I was particularly disappointed in our back rowers today. I thought Fitz and Barnett were very poor, especially with the ball in hand. Everything that has been said about Cogger is correct..

I thought Griffin started the match pretty well and that Guerra had a solid game. Ponga was very well marked today, yet he still did a lot of quality plays. The longer the game went, the better he went.

I slightly disagree with the early comment that we were never going to be a top 8 team this year. The full strength team definitely had the potential to be a top 8 side if it wasn't for injuries and a couple of players not kicking on.

1 Ponga - Enough said
2 Ross - Demonstrated that he is a much better winger than centre
3 Sione - not much to write home about
4 Moga - Killed it in 2017 and just started to play well in the game before he was injured
5 SKD - Has been very consistent at bringing the ball back. One of our best players in 2018
6 Watson - Was injured for a period. Hasn't been that crash hot this year.
7 Pearce - One of the premium halfbacks in the comp
8 Ese'ese - Has been playing well in 2018
9 Griffin - Has had a solid year
10 Lillyman - Played well in the first 2 weeks. If only his form didn't turn to sh!t...
11. Fitz - Played the first half of the year at a good standard.
12 Barnett - Was wasted playing at lock. He's either a backrower or a bench player.
13 Guerra - Has played solidly for the knights this year.

14 Levi - NZ hooker, thought he would be playing better.
15 D Saifiti - Was expecting a stand out year for him.
16 J Saifiti - Same as above
17. Heighington - Terrific experience premiership winner.

The team above could have potentially made the top 8 if it wasn't for long term injuries and players not kicking on. I think it would have been realistic to say that we are a top 10 team and a possible top 8.

Knight Vision

First Grade
I was particularly disappointed in our back rowers today. I thought Fitz and Barnett were very poor, especially with the ball in hand. Everything that has been said about Cogger is correct..

I thought Griffin started the match pretty well and that Guerra had a solid game. Ponga was very well marked today, yet he still did a lot of quality plays. The longer the game went, the better he went.

I slightly disagree with the early comment that we were never going to be a top 8 team this year. The full strength team definitely had the potential to be a top 8 side if it wasn't for injuries and a couple of players not kicking on.

1 Ponga - Enough said
2 Ross - Demonstrated that he is a much better winger than centre
3 Sione - not much to write home about
4 Moga - Killed it in 2017 and just started to play well in the game before he was injured
5 SKD - Has been very consistent at bringing the ball back. One of our best players in 2018
6 Watson - Was injured for a period. Hasn't been that crash hot this year.
7 Pearce - One of the premium halfbacks in the comp
8 Ese'ese - Has been playing well in 2018
9 Griffin - Has had a solid year
10 Lillyman - Played well in the first 2 weeks. If only his form didn't turn to sh!t...
11. Fitz - Played the first half of the year at a good standard.
12 Barnett - Was wasted playing at lock. He's either a backrower or a bench player.
13 Guerra - Has played solidly for the knights this year.

14 Levi - NZ hooker, thought he would be playing better.
15 D Saifiti - Was expecting a stand out year for him.
16 J Saifiti - Same as above
17. Heighington - Terrific experience premiership winner.

The team above could have potentially made the top 8 if it wasn't for long term injuries and players not kicking on. I think it would have been realistic to say that we are a top 10 team and a possible top 8.
What those injuries have done is expose our lack of quality depth across the park.
KP - any side in the comp would want him
Wingers- Ross and Sio are back up options and not top 4 side wingers
Centres - We have none
Halves- back up options inexperienced
Forwards - light across the park with the exception of hooker, situation with props is dire. back row gets a pass mark.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
What those injuries have done is expose our lack of quality depth across the park.
KP - any side in the comp would want him
Wingers- Ross and Sio are back up options and not top 4 side wingers
Centres - We have none
Halves- back up options inexperienced
Forwards - light across the park with the exception of hooker, situation with props is dire. back row gets a pass mark.

100% agree with you on this, if we played the whole year with our best 17 on the park we probably finish in 7th spot at best. With the injuries we’ve had we’ll probably end up 10th at best at this rate.

The reality is that most of our forward pack and our backline are still stop gaps and short term fill-ins. Our second row isn’t the best in the comp but isn’t the worst either and at least Fitzy and Barnett have shown that they can potentially be rep players at a later stage but it doesn’t help them playing in a shit team every week. Unfortunately the only first grade props we have are Ese’ese and Dan Saifiti (when he feels like it) so we still need to stock up in that department.

Moga is currently our only first grade centre but we’ve got Ramien coming next year which is handy. Sione can fill in there when we have injuries too. I still feel like we need to invest in a rep quality winger for our left edge because Sio & Ross just aren’t cutting it imo.

The third glaring deficiency in our squad is the lack of quality back up halves. It was looking like Lamb would play a big part when Pearce went down but he’s been either shit or injured and Cogger has just been plain shit. Seriously the Bulldogs are screwed if he’s their starting half back next year. I hope we’re looking elsewhere for a decent half because I’m seriously concerned if we don’t have a first grade standard back up next year.

macavity

Referee
at least Fitzy and Barnett have shown that they can potentially be rep players at a later stage.

Red and blue goggles there mate. They are decent for us... doesn't mean they are top standard.

Neither starts for most other sides in the comp, and probably don't make the 17 of quite a number of sides - can fairly confidently say they don't make the full strength Storm, Dragons, Broncos or Panthers packs at all.

Knight Vision

First Grade
We have the most important positions locked up. More than happy with our spine, given time I think its one that could take us all the way. Ponga, Pearce, Watson, Slade/Levi has huge potential. Ponga alone fills me with Premiership hope. I'll be mightily pissed if he doesnt stay his entire career in the red and blue.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Red and blue goggles there mate. They are decent for us... doesn't mean they are top standard.

Neither starts for most other sides in the comp, and probably don't make the 17 of quite a number of sides - can fairly confidently say they don't make the full strength Storm, Dragons, Broncos or Panthers packs at all.
agree, theyd be seeing occasional bench time in a top 4 side. Easing them into first grade and priming them to fill the position down the track.

Yosh

Coach
Did the Storm beat us today? No. We beat ourselves. The Storm are supposed to be the benchmark of the comp but most of what they threw, we could take it. We shot ourselves in the foot time and time again. We had no field position. We had that crazy wind in the first half but no field position. Of course they would score with all that field position. We miss a tackle off a kick off and they score. Cogger randomly decides to stand in no man's land and give them room to score down the wing... For 80% of that match we weren't NRL standard...

I want to destroy my keyboard and screen as much as anyone here but I'm gonna concentrate on the positives.

- Denniss looked first grade quality. Some good rushes in defense and some big tackles. Great tip on for the try assist. I hope we see more of him and see him get some more ball.

- SKD. I used to hate this guy. I couldn't believe we signed him but he has been quality the past few weeks. His brain farts are almost gone. He makes great metres and his defense has been so good lately. The tackle on Adocarr from behind chasing that kick, then that quick off load to Ponga. Quality.

- Ponga. Ponga. Ponga.

- Watson... He is 90% a good player. If he decides to kick a little more, pass more to mix it up and learn to pass after making a break, he is going to become hell of a player.

- We hold onto the ball, we lose by 12 not 18. Add one or both of the Safaiti boys, we lose by 6. Then include Pearce in the team, we are in with a real chance to win. Ese'ese had no help today... Not only were the bench props no good, the second rowers didn't offer much today. Fitzy had that 60 metre pass that went backwards almost out behind for a line drop out...

I know we all wanna kill ourselves and Woosh is gonna be back with a gusto but I let's concentrate on the positives. Even though we couldn't close the gap, I didn't feel we rolled over and let them run over us. Only two more games before Pearce is back as well!

Yosh

Coach
eZyqvdQ
uvyE1Tg

Pearce : "Brownie, Cogger's kicking today is almost as bad as your lapels mate. Almost."

Brown : "Note to self, make sure the Bulldogs cannot rip up Cogger's contract."

Yosh

Coach
eZyqvdQ
uvyE1Tg

Pearce : "Brownie, Cogger's kicking today is almost as bad as your lapels mate. Almost."

Brown : "Note to self, make sure the Bulldogs cannot rip up Cogger's contract."

How do I get the Pic to show?

Mr_Knightside

Juniors

I said POTENTIALLY and IN FUTURE because obviously it should be taken with a grain of salt and there’s no guarantee that they’d get there but I see the ability in them. You’re right they probably wouldn’t make the team at every club right now but I wasn’t saying they’re the two best second rowers in the comp, just that I thought they had it in them to play at a rep standard at some point. They don’t produce it every week at this stage but the quality is there imo.

Choppy182

Juniors
Considering our terrible completion rate, terrible ball handling and lack of finishing off chances we were GREAT in defence! 3 of their tries were length of field efforts on the back of some bad errors which happened to have the quickest man in the comp on the end of them. We had our chances, if we took them we win.

I'm really liking the way our defence is looking at the moment.