What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis vs England in Denver

Cold Roses

Juniors
Zealand Kiwis squad: Leeson Ah Mau, Nelson Asofa-Solomona, Herman Ese'ese, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, James Fisher-Harris, Slade Griffin, Peta Hiku, Jamayne Isaako, Jordan Kahu, Isaac Liu, Issac Luke, Te Maire Martin, Esan Marsters, Ken Maumalo, Kodi Nikorima, Joseph Tapine, Martin Taupau, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak

Burns

First Grade
England should win. Glad to see Maguire looking towards the next world cup/end of year tour of the Europe.

As said in the other thread, wouldn't have JWH anywhere in the team. Slade Griffin is an odd pick.

WellsNZ

Juniors
I had no idea Griffin was an option but raised in Greymouth for a while apparently.

Thought Whare would be an automatic choice in one of the centre spots.

We've done the JWH thing to death, not keen. But we've also lost four props international props through "retirement"/injury/suspension.

Cold Roses

Juniors
England should win. Glad to see Maguire looking towards the next world cup/end of year tour of the Europe.

As said in the other thread, wouldn't have JWH anywhere in the team. Slade Griffin is an odd pick.

Definitely has the look of building over the next 3 years to the World Cup. JWH needs to buy a lottery ticket. He's had more chances than anyone deserves, but still comes up wanting.

England should deservedly be favourites. I'm hoping for an enthusiastic performance with so many fresh faces though.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
I had no idea Griffin was an option but raised in Greymouth for a while apparently.

We've done the JWH thing to death, not keen. But we've also lost four props international props through "retirement"/injury/suspension.

Griffin born & raised in Greymouth, played rl in chch comp age grade, picked up by Storm prior to Harris, understudy to Smith from u20s. Suffered a couple of season-ending injuries after a bench role in nrl & once back played off the bench to get a premiership ring (off the bench in the last quarter) in 2017. Was a Bellamy favourite which says a lot about his character...both Bellamy & Smith called him a tough little bugger on more than one occasion. Young Brandon Smith (another Kiwi) coming through the Storm ranks & being touted as a Smith replacement helped Griffin decide to take a good offer from the Knights. Playing pretty solid there too, nuggety & tough, nothing flashy but has learnt from the best. Can play a Hinchcliffe role (forwards utility).
Always follow the Kiwi boys development in other teams & about time Griffin gets a chance to see if he can step up again imo

Had no idea the Slade was an option either.

JWH had a great game on the weekend, but to replicate it in a Kiwi jersey is yet to be seen.

Thought young Smith from Storm might have been in the squad.

WellsNZ

Juniors
Griffin born & raised in Greymouth, played rl in chch comp age grade, picked up by Storm prior to Harris, understudy to Smith from u20s. Suffered a couple of season-ending injuries after a bench role in nrl & once back played off the bench to get a premiership ring (off the bench in the last quarter) in 2017. Was a Bellamy favourite which says a lot about his character...both Bellamy & Smith called him a tough little bugger on more than one occasion. Young Brandon Smith (another Kiwi) coming through the Storm ranks & being touted as a Smith replacement helped Griffin decide to take a good offer from the Knights. Playing pretty solid there too, nuggety & tough, nothing flashy but has learnt from the best. Can play a Hinchcliffe role (forwards utility).
Always follow the Kiwi boys development in other teams & about time Griffin gets a chance to see if he can step up again imo

His wiki and Knights profile say he was born in NSW?

Regardless, nice bit of depth for us in a spot that we haven't had much depth in. On that note, I wasn't going to be surprised to see Smith in the squad.

Cold Roses

Juniors
Hiku
Maumalo / Isaako
Masters
Kahu
DWZ

TMM
Nikorima

NAS
Luke
Tapau
Faitala-Mariner
Tapine
Liu

Griffin
JWH
Ah Mau
Ese'ese / Fisher-Harris

Expecting 2 of Maumalo / Isaako / Ese'ese / Fisher-Harris to miss the game day squad.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Had no idea the Slade was an option either.

JWH had a great game on the weekend, but to replicate it in a Kiwi jersey is yet to be seen.

Thought young Smith from Storm might have been in the squad.

Plent of time for Brandon Smith, still young and still learning - exciting player for the future though and learning off the best 9 in the game.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
His wiki and Knights profile say he was born in NSW?

Regardless, nice bit of depth for us in a spot that we haven't had much depth in. On that note, I wasn't going to be surprised to see Smith in the squad.
I could be wrong about where he was born but know he started playing league in chch - the family is definitely from Greymouth. Been at Storm games in nz & his whanau came up from South to support him.
His profile on the knights OS says he grew up in nz & played junior footy in nz, signed with Storm 2009

Big Marn

Juniors
Hiku
Maumalo / Isaako
Masters
Kahu
DWZ

TMM
Nikorima

NAS
Luke
Tapau
Faitala-Mariner
Tapine
Liu

Griffin
JWH
Ah Mau
Ese'ese / Fisher-Harris

Expecting 2 of Maumalo / Isaako / Ese'ese / Fisher-Harris to miss the game day squad.

Dallins been playing at the back for Penrith recently. Maybe put him there, then both Maumolo and Isaako can both play, and then its a tossup between Hiku/Kahu/Marsters on who plays in centres.
Isaako to be the goal kicker.

Last edited:

WellsNZ

Juniors
I could be wrong about where he was born but know he started playing league in chch - the family is definitely from Greymouth. Been at Storm games in nz & his whanau came up from South to support him.
His profile on the knights OS says he grew up in nz & played junior footy in nz, signed with Storm 2009

He was born in NSW but moved to NZ when he was two, much of a muchness really.

Surprised he hasn't had a little more coverage from our media given he's a Kiwi.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Dallins been playing at the back for Penrith recently. Maybe put him there, then both Maumolo and Isaako can both play, and then its a tossup between Hiku/Kahu/Marsters on who plays in centres.
Isaako to be the goal kicker.
On form you'd have to probably say Kahu misses out this time. Backline of

1. DWZ
2. Isaako
3. Marsters
4. Hiku
5. Maumalo

Doesn't look too bad

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
At least we know we have 17 guys running out who give a stuff with this trip, and I like that m

Mate at mentioned that he heard that the Warriors told Luke he wouldn't be playing but he told the Warriors he was going

Cold Roses

Juniors
https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2018/06/17/i-told-madge-id-travel-to-antarctica-to-play/

‘I told Madge I’d travel to Antarctica to play’
Sun 17 Jun 2018, 10:14 PM
When Michael Maguire first phoned Slade Griffin to tell him he was in the mix to make his New Zealand international debut, the nib Newcastle Knights hooker was stunned.

Privately, Griffin had dreamed of playing for the Kiwis since he was a little boy, but he never believed it would become a reality.

That was until his phone rang two weeks ago.

Griffin didn't recognise the number but knew the voice.

It was the newly appointed Test coach.

"I told Madge I'd travel to Antarctica to play for the Kiwis," Griffin told newcastleknights.com.au.

In turn, Maguire told Griffin he was in contention for a call-up.

He wouldn't need to travel to Antarctica but would need his passport.

The Kiwis are scheduled to face England in Denver on June 23.

A few days later, Maguire called again.

This time he was no longer in the mix but in the team.

"Madge called me and kind of said I was in contention the week before and I was just trying not to think about it too much and worrying about thinking about the Knights," Griffin said.

"He called me again on a Tuesday and had a bit of small talk at the start and I was trying to hear from his voice, the tone, on whether I was in or not. The suspense was killing me and then he said; 'have you got your passport?'

"I'm really excited."

For Maguire, it was an easy call to make and one which filled him with joy.

"You could hear there was a fair bit of emotion at the other end of the phone just by how he spoke," Maguire toldnewcastleknights.com.au.

"It's a great feeling as a coach to be able to ring a young man and tell him he's going to be playing for his country."

What Griffin doesn't know is that after their initial chat, Maguire started researching the rake.

While he's found a home at the Knights, he's spent the bulk of his career in Melbourne, a club Maguire knows well.

Griffin was in the 20s program when Maguire was an assistant coach at the Storm, so the new Kiwis mentor reached out to the likes of Craig Bellamy and Cameron Smith to learn more about the unsung workhorse.

griffins-180427nh21.jpg

While Griffin's bone crushing try saver on Roosters wrecking ball Isaac Liu turned plenty of heads last week, it was a glowing endorsement of Griffin's character from his peers which sealed Maguire's decision to hand him his debut.

"He's reliable with how he plays," Maguire said.

"You know exactly what you're going to get when he steps out onto the field.

"I spoke to Craig Bellamy and did a bit of homework on the character of Slade and I believe he's going to fit well into what we're trying to do with the Kiwi jersey.

"Success comes with the right characters and this is his opportunity now to show he puts everything on the field. "

With the Test taking place in America, Griffin knew of his selection in the team a few days prior to the team was named.

Griffin took his suitcase to McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday before jumping into a car to join his teammates in Sydney later that night ahead of their flight to the US on Monday morning.

While Griffin had the Storm game to prepare for, he was able to take a moment to reflect on the achievement.

It's an honour he's struggling to comprehend.

"I wouldn't even say a dream. I probably didn't think it was possible to tell the truth," Griffin said.

"I remember as a kid watching the Kiwis on TV at my uncles at five in the morning watching them play England and now I'll be doing that.

"It's just amazing to pull on the black and white. I know I'll have the whole west coast supporting me."

Latest posts