What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ v Poms in US

deluded pom?

Coach
I really do wonder if they have asked the Tongan & Samoan players before selecting them??

I find it really hard to believe they would opt to switch when players like taumulolo & fifita are sticking...
You’d like to think they ask the players ‘spud. It’s just common courtesy isn’t it?

morningstar

Juniors
I really do wonder if they have asked the Tongan & Samoan players before selecting them??

I find it really hard to believe they would opt to switch when players like taumulolo & fifita are sticking...

No Tongan heritage players selected...funny that.

9 x Maori
1 x Pakeha
8 x Samoan Heritage
1 x Cook Islander Heritage

...18/19 born in NZ too before the poaching brigade start sharpening their pichforks.

roughyedspud

Coach
No Tongan heritage players selected...funny that.

9 x Maori
1 x Pakeha
8 x Samoan Heritage
1 x Cook Islander Heritage

...18/19 born in NZ too before the poaching brigade start sharpening their pichforks.

But they've played for Tonga or Samoa...simpleton

They might well be kiwi born but they made the choice to rep for another country...so keep on trying to justify it! No one is with you these days!

morningstar

Juniors

They might well be kiwi born but they made the choice to rep for another country...so keep on trying to justify it! No one is with you these days!

Reeled one in already.

My thoughts on nation swapping are well known, but it’s in the rule book and all those boys travel on Kiwi passports...if this was a Kata/Radradra situation I would be blowing up with you.

Opened your DM from Clint yet?

roughyedspud

Coach
Passports mean f**k all son...

PS yeah I've opened it....he's not got a leg to stand on given he sent it a week before he got invited to Denver...

*edit* clint thinks what I know is based on assumption,that i'm guessing.....he has no idea what I know,who I talk too or who feeds me information...bless him...

Enjoy your trip to Denver clint ;)

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach

I apologise for my stupidity earlier ‘spud in thinking people ask the players about their availability. Joseph Paulo was selected in a USA train on squad the other day. Guess who Samoa have now named in their squad?

King Ben

Juniors
Nope...they've Defo picked the wrong stadium to start with...should have gone to dicks sporting goods park first,holds 18k..would have been perfect

A lot of these bigger stadiums are usually cheaper to rent out than the smaller venues which I've always found bizarre but is likely reason why they went for Mile High instead of a smaller soccer stadium.

I still think Denver wasn't the right choice of city but I hope the crowd looks respectable on the day.

Clarkent

Juniors
I apologise for my stupidity earlier ‘spud in thinking people ask the players about their availability. Joseph Paulo was selected in a USA train on squad the other day. Guess who Samoa have now named in their squad?
And jeorge taufua played for Tonga a few years ago got named in the Samoan team as well...

Pommy

Coach
How is that even possible? I thought you couldn’t switch across teams in the same tier?

Nope just tier 1, the rules are BS.
They pretty much allow Australia and NZ ago have their pick of the islands but stop England accessing all their heritage players.
I don’t want any Aussies in the England side but the setup stinks.

adamkungl

Immortal
How is that even possible? I thought you couldn’t switch across teams in the same tier?

For switching across tier 2 I believe the old once-per-cycle rule applies.
I agree that this should have been ended with the new tier1-2 rules.

As for Clint Newton, what a wanker.

Sad but predictable to see so many senior Kiwis dropping out.
As I said earlier, their culture and commitment to the jersey is barely on life support. The cocaine scandal, the Tonga defections, the RLWC flop, and now this.

Madge has his work cut out for him putting some pride back into the NZ jersey. You can't really go blacklisting RTS and SJ, they're too valuable and they know it.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee

But did they chose to rep Samoa because that was their first choice or because there were no actual consequences for doing so? We don't know what they would have done if it were a one country for life rule.

NZ born players playing for NZ is no big deal.There's nothing that has to be justified.

adamkungl

Immortal
To be fair, Maguire had little choice but to choose players that have repped Samoa before.. most of the senior NZ-only players would rather be playing Fortnite than playing for their country.

adamkungl

Immortal
Likely NZ lineup.
Really missing some strike in the backs and halves. A few players in there that shouldn't be playing rep football yet if ever.

1 DWZ
2 Isaako
3 Hiku
4 Kahu
5 Maumalo
6 Nikorima
7 TMM
8 JWH
9 Luke
10 NAS
11 Tapine
12 Taupau
13 Liu

14 Griffin
15 Ese'ese
16 Ah Mau
17 JFH
18 Marsters
19 RFM

roughyedspud

Coach
I hope cl*t Newton is taking notes on preparation & player welfare...

Cos most of the England team had landed in Denver before the kiwis even announced their squad...the burgii,jammer,widdop & Bennett are nearly in Denver and Whitehead has just taken off from Sydney..all business/first class I might add...

Have the kiwis even set off yet? Visas sorted???

Clarkent

Juniors
To be fair, Maguire had little choice but to choose players that have repped Samoa before.. most of the senior NZ-only players would rather be playing Fortnite than playing for their country.
Funny thing is taumalolo and a few players defect to the Tongans last year and all the media went crazy going after them... Kiwis pick up 6 former samoan players and not a peep out of the media lol :face_palm:♂️

hutch

First Grade

Hang on, it works both ways. If you want to allow the switching then young players who aren’t yet good enough are going to play for island nations before the kiwis. NZ aren’t stealing them if island nations aren’t stealing players like Fifita, fonua-Blake etc.