What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

i remember

The G-Man

Juniors
What a great Post.

Slightly too young for Cumberland, But old enough for the following.

I remember my mum throwing me off her lap in excitement as we torched Newtown for our first GF win.

I remember the relatives always making cupcakes with the corresponding teams colours for GF Day. EVERY year.

I remember a souths supporter in 3rd class accusing me of only following Parra because they won everything. If i could see him now.Still here champ.

I remember thinking we were done in 86, only to hear that sweet final siren.

I remember skipping school so my great aunt could take me to the official opening of the stadium and watching the queen and Prince Phillip do their thing. I was bitterly dissapointed as I thought we were playing.

I remember a game against Penrith where the rain was coming in that hard from the south, we crouched down behind the fence at the northern end to stay dry, before sliding down the hill in cardboard boxes.

I remember being the last person left in the grandstand after our loss in 01 before finally going home to tear up the Rugby League Week, with Cayless and Johns on the cover which had a headline "Why Parra can't lose the Grand Final"

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Quite possibly the best posting ever on this website (though that bar is low set). Well said, I'm close to your age and I remember all those things too.

To the OP, great post and great memories for me as a kid as I grew up in Northmead.
Some memories for me as a youngster:
- Phil Mann
- Some guys hanging a piss right behind us at a Saturday night pre-season game in front of the old stand.
- Bob O'Reilly and his big flatbed truck two streets away.
- Tony Melrose living down the road
- All of the Sulkowicz's
- Rex Mossop's sheepskin jacket
- Ray Price and a couple of his brothers playing union for the two blues
- Ray Higgs wandering over to check out our junior training session
- Craven A's all over footy posters
- How high the top diving platform was at Parramatta pool !
- Graeme Atkins helping coach our team
- Doug Walters playing for Cumberland !!
Good times :D

emjaycee

Coach
This is a brilliant thread... Well done Tresure

I remember moving back to Sydney from Melbourne at the start of '78 and it being a different era to the one we live in today, being allowed to catch the bus in my own down to Parra to watch the game on a Sunday afternoon. Sometime my old man would take me but he was an Easts supporter and I have 3 brothers and no one else followed the Eels so I was mostly on my own. Wouldn't get to all the games maybe 4 or 5 at that age.

Yep to the things already posted from the same era at Cumberland. sitting on roof of the old dunny block on the hill. Sliding down the hill on some cardboard, the splinters from the old bench seat. Mostly I remember my scarf, beanie and jersey that I think I only lost about 20 years later.

Best memories of the 80's for me are the sleep outs in Argyle St when Ticketek was inside Grace Bros to get GF tickets (and that was for general admission). Then sleeping out in the Laneway at the Paddo end of the SGC from after school on the Friday through to game day on the Sunday for the GF's in 81, 82, 83 84 and 86. Running through the tunnel to get to the fence near the old scoreboard. Would sleep out with my brother and some mates and dad would join us at 8am on the sunday. Did it with a broken arm in 82 and it was after work not school in 84 and 86. Lost the old man in 87 but great memories and he taught me what it means to support your team and let me do it.

Jump forward 15 years and took my girlfriends old man who had just beaten cancer to the Stadium to see us beat by Newcastle. He had to climb up to the top of the top deck and couldn't see much but it was a bucket list thing for him to see another Eels grand final and we werent sure how long he would last. He is in a home now and watched to the 2009 game from bed but he still reminds me of the joy of 2001, despite the result.

Haven't missed a Parra GF since 81 and won't while I draw a breath.
Always plan to be at Homebush the long weekend in October each and every year.

Last edited:

Haynzy

First Grade
To the OP, great post and great memories for me as a kid as I grew up in Northmead.
Some memories for me as a youngster:
- Phil Mann
- Some guys hanging a piss right behind us at a Saturday night pre-season game in front of the old stand.
- Bob O'Reilly and his big flatbed truck two streets away.
- Tony Melrose living down the road
- All of the Sulkowicz's
- Rex Mossop's sheepskin jacket
- Ray Price and a couple of his brothers playing union for the two blues
- Ray Higgs wandering over to check out our junior training session
- Craven A's all over footy posters
- How high the top diving platform was at Parramatta pool !
- Graeme Atkins helping coach our team
- Doug Walters playing for Cumberland !!
Good times :D

That used to spin me out too.

tresurehunt

Juniors
Quite possibly the best posting ever on this website (though that bar is low set). Well said, I'm close to your age and I remember all those things too.

thanks for that barney, i did it for a reason. i felt that we needed to remember why we love our team so much and why we follow them ,even through the tough times like today. i know the guys on here are our most passionate fans and we all share a similar road.
next time you go to a game to see our guys play cherish the moment because you may include it in another "i remember" thread in the future.

Gronk

Staff member
We had a brief moment of personal excitement in our house as my Bro's besty scored a contract with the Eels in the 80's. Jeff Perl was a gun goal kicker and one of the early around the corner kickers in NSWRL other than a few random Poms (John Gray, forward for Norths in 70's was the first ?).

Perly played in the 1986 Two Blues premiership winning side vs Randwick (no really !) and landed a pro (?) contract with the Eels in 1987.

He made 2 appearances in the top grade, scored a try and kicked 3/8.

Oh well, it was fun whilst it lasted. ;-)

I would never sledge him however, he has what most of us would only dream of. Player number 454.

EDIT: I wonder if he was signed to replace the retiring goal kicking Mick Cronin ? You might recall that we struggled with GK that year and the unlikely Muggo ended up as GK snd surprised us all. In fact IIRC Muggo was very close in breaking the Crow's record for kicks in a row. A record now held by El Masri ?

Last edited:

Stagger eel

Staff member
We had a brief moment of personal excitement in our house as my Bro's besty scored a contract with the Eels in the 80's. Jeff Perl was a gun goal kicker and one of the early around the corner kickers in NSWRL other than a few random Poms (John Gray, forward for Norths in 70's was the first ?).

Perly played in the 1986 Two Blues premiership winning side vs Randwick (no really !) and landed a pro (?) contract with the Eels in 1987.

He made 2 appearances in the top grade, scored a try and kicked 3/8.

Oh well, it was fun whilst it lasted. ;-)

I would never sledge him however, he has what most of us would only dream of. Player number 454.

EDIT: I wonder if he was signed to replace the retiring goal kicking Mick Cronin ? You might recall that we struggled with GK that year and the unlikely Muggo ended up as GK snd surprised us all. In fact IIRC Muggo was very close in breaking the Crow's record for kicks in a row. A record now held by El Masri ?

that would be correct, Zip and Mike Eden were also seen as a replacement goal kicker..even Guilty Hunt coudl kick goals and we still had him in 87 before he moved to the Gold Coast

Bigfella

Coach
This is a brilliant thread... Well done Tresure

I remember moving back to Sydney from Melbourne at the start of '78 and it being a different era to the one we live in today, being allowed to catch the bus in my own down to Parra to watch the game on a Sunday afternoon. Sometime my old man would take me but he was an Easts supporter and I have 3 brothers and no one else followed the Eels so I was mostly on my own. Wouldn't get to all the games maybe 4 or 5 at that age.

Yep to the things already posted from the same era at Cumberland. sitting on roof of the old dunny block on the hill. Sliding down the hill on some cardboard, the splinters from the old bench seat. Mostly I remember my scarf, beanie and jersey that I think I only lost about 20 years later.

Best memories of the 80's for me are the sleep outs in Argyle St when Ticketek was inside Grace Bros to get GF tickets (and that was for general admission). Then sleeping out in the Laneway at the Paddo end of the SGC from after school on the Friday through to game day on the Sunday for the GF's in 81, 82, 83 84 and 86. Running through the tunnel to get to the fence near the old scoreboard. Would sleep out with my brother and some mates and dad would join us at 8am on the sunday. Did it with a broken arm in 82 and it was after work not school in 84 and 86. Lost the old man in 87 but great memories and he taught me what it means to support your team and let me do it.

Jump forward 15 years and took my girlfriends old man who had just beaten cancer to the Stadium to see us beat by Newcastle. He had to climb up to the top of the top deck and couldn't see much but it was a bucket list thing for him to see another Eels grand final and we werent sure how long he would last. He is in a home now and watched to the 2009 game from bed but he still reminds me of the joy of 2001, despite the result.

Haven't missed a Parra GF since 81 and won't while I draw a breath.
Always plan to be at Homebush the long weekend in October each and every year.

Nice.

Gronk

Staff member
I still have my Dad's ashes at home. Thinking that @ first game at the new stadium i will fly a crop duster over the new turf and spread him about.

He'd get a kick out you merkins scurrying about trying not to inhale his bits.

Actually might angle it towards the toffs in the western stand.

T-Boon

Coach
When Hindy kicked that goal - his last play ever in a game (and I think only goal in his career) - he kicked old school, off sand.
It was after the siren and everyone was getting ready to run on the ground to get a good vantage point around the podium. I jumped the fence and bolted for the sand mound Hindy left behind thinking there was no way I would get there firsts (some fools were running straight passed it).
I got within about 5 metres before some kid got to it and scooped most the sand up into a beer glass. I got the dregs enough to half fill a small glass.
Who was that kid?

Gronk

Staff member
More memories...

The curse of the Eels
August 16 2002

After last season's upset grand-final loss to Newcastle, the bright, young Eels were expected to emerge stronger for the experience and were at even shorter odds to win this year's title. So, what's gone wrong at Parramatta? Roy Masters reports.

For Parramatta, it has been a season in which one crisis passes only to make room for the next.

Yet any fan searching for an answer to the Eels' annus horribilis only has to look at the Roosters' line-up for this weekend's match.

There are three former Eels in the Roosters' 17 - David Kidwell, Jason Cayless and Eric Grothe. The salary cap has screwed Parramatta.

When coach Brian Smith began losing players to injury and suspension this season, he scanned his roster for replacements, only to find they were with other clubs.

Wests Tigers have another three former Eels - forward Troy Wozniak played in Parramatta's first-division grand-final loss last year; five-eighth John Wilson left at the end of the 2000 season and promising young lock Ben Galea played in blue and gold in '98.

Grand finals have a handicap effect on a league. The market price of the stars of the two grand-final teams increases, leaving less money under the salary cap for players on the rise.

Rival chief executives target the emerging talent, offering contracts sometimes four times the amount the player would earn at the club that produced him.

When those cackling, humpbacked witches who have ridden on Smith's shoulder at three grand finals circled the Olympic stadium after last year's loss to Newcastle, they did not fly away to haunt some other miserable coach. They set down in nearby Parramatta to plague Smith for another 12 months, cursing the club with injuries, suspensions, referee controversies, tension with former proteges, such as Brisbane's Gorden Tallis, and agonising defeats.

"I have never had a season like this," Smith said. "We have been brought to our knees many times. Usually if a club loses its top two or three players, it's out of the running for the semis, yet we've had our top two or three missing most of the year."

Almost a decade earlier, the witches landed at Kogarah. Smith, then coach of St George, took the Dragons to two consecutive grand finals in 1992 and 1993, only to see his squad of players plundered by other clubs.

Three times Smith has walked away from a grand final with nothing except the certainty his club will leak players to lesser-led ships.

Even when a losing grand final club retains most of its players, there can be a legacy of emptiness afterwards, an exhausted, debilitated, nothing-left feeling.

Sometimes, people don't understand a coach and players gave it everything they had. They laid it out there, made every part of themselves vulnerable, held on to nothing - not even that private, inner kernel of fortitude that can lift them above the harshest scrutiny. And still they lost.

When a club has an intense coach such as Smith - a man who prepares his players with a clinical zeal - it makes the team even more vulnerable to post-grand-final collapse.

The Eels will deny it of course, but it's likely more than one player said during the off-season: "Do I have to go through all this again next year?"

Perhaps mindful of this, Smith has been very successful in the past at reinventing his team.

He brought in half Jason Taylor to energise the 2001 team and purchased Sharks five-eighth Adam Dykes to steer this year's team. Dykes has retired twice this season with injuries. The two men Smith hoped would receive plenty of ball from Dykes - State of Origin players Jamie Lyon and Brett Hodgson - are also out injured, both possibly for the season.

Lyon can score 90m tries and Hodgson showed in OriginI how dangerous he is running off a pivot.

Some will say Smith outsmarted himself this season by adopting a deliberate tactic of moving the ball wide early in the tackle count.

The strategy was probably inspired by a change to the 10m rule that has allowed the defence to stand closer to the attack, meaning the opportunity of gaining territory up the middle has diminished in 2002.

Others will argue it has been one of the game's eternal axioms that a team cannot go wide without going forward first, no matter what tweaking of the rules takes place.

In any case, Parramatta's forwards have not been as dominant this year, being brought back to the pack, so to speak. Still, international prop Michael Vella has played only 11 club games. Smith has also had to develop a new halfback/five-eighth combination during a season in which the closer defence has meant the thinking time of the Sunday generals has been significantly eroded.

Winning teams in 2002 are those that use the fewest players and are led by an experienced halfback.

The Eels can make the final eight and go on with it, validating Smith's view that it is easier to come up from the bottom than sit alone, like a target, at the top. Until last week's thumping of Souths, the Eels had gone winless for eight weeks - a controlled environment of defeat with one demoralising loss after another.

The whole thing is reminiscent of a horrible biosphere, a dome of disaster that we spectators can only peek into from the outside. But Smith has enough of the mad scientist in him to turn things around overnight. "We're not dead yet," he said. "Our season's far from over."

Year of highs and woes

September 2001: Beat the Warriors 56-12 and Brisbane 24-16 in the finals ... favourites going into the grand final on September 30 against Newcastle ... Knights turn on a superlative opening 40 minutes in front of 90,414 at the Olympic stadium to lead 24-0 on the way to a 30-24 victory ... "They deserved it," Parramatta coach Brian Smith says of the Knights.

October 2001: Centre Jamie Lyon scores two tries on debut for Australia ... Michael Vella, Nathan Hindmarsh and Daniel Wagon are also selected for the Kangaroo Tour ... Hindmarsh doesn't travel due to injury.

November 2001: Lyon makes an impression on the curtailed Kangaroo Tour, UK newspaper The Sunhighlighting his love of pig-shooting. "And he's no oil painting either," say the headline writers ... The Eels prepare to commence pre-season training.

December 2001: Those not involved in the Kangaroo Tour embark on the annual Eels on Wheels tour of rural areas ... "Now we're working harder to make sure that if we get another chance, we don't let it slip," says captain Nathan Cayless.

January 2002: Eels open pre-season with 42-14 win over Wests Tigers ... Hopes high for team's new halves, Adam Dykes from the Sharks and Andrew McFadden from Canberra.

February 2002: Departures going into the new season: Joel Clinton, Jason Cayless, Ben Duckworth, Chad Halliday, Wade McKinnon, P.J. Marsh, Chad Robinson, Mitchell Sargent, Jason Taylor, David Westley, Troy Wozniak. March 2002 Kick off season by flogging Penrith 64-6 ... $2.60 with bookies to win the premiership ... Crash 16-22 to Wests Tigers in round two, followed by a bye.

April 2002: Lead Melbourne 30-10 at half-time at Parramatta Stadium on April 6 - and lose 30-32 ... 20-20 draw with St George Illawarra ... 22-14 win over South Sydney ... 38-0 belting of Canberra.

May 2002: Dykes suffers the shoulder injury that will eventually end his season in 36-6 win over the Sharks ... second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh is allowed to play by having City-Country match count against his suspension - even though he wasn't picked for the rep game ... Andrew Ryan picked by both sides, eventually settling for Country.

June 2002: Beat Brisbane 22-18 two days after Origin II ... Michael Buettner says he was instructed to mention Gorden Tallis to the referee during the match - Tallis's relationship with referees is in the spotlight ... Tallis angry at Smith, saying his name has been "dragged through the mud" ... loss to Newcastle, a draw with the Roosters and another defeat by the Bulldogs ... broken ankle rules out Lyon for the rest of the year.

July 2002: Eels players are sent to the sin bin four times - Dykes, Hindmarsh and Buettner twice - as Newcastle come from behind to beat them 24-18 ... Referee Bill Harrigan dropped and later trains with Parramatta to mend bridges ... One-point loss to Cronulla follows, then 10-26 defeat at the hands of the Warriors ... NSW SportsTAB makes an issue of late Eels team changes ... Bottles are thrown onto the field, two players sent to the sin bin and two more reported in a 6-26 home loss to the Broncos ... Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett says his team is "pre-judged" by officials, bringing a $10,000 fine.

August 2002: Manly upset Parramatta 19-10 ... Brett Hodgson's season in jeopardy due to a knee injury ... 54-0 win over South Sydney plunges the Rabbitohs into crisis.

https://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/08/15/1029113983185.html