What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger Ted

Bench
So what is your alternative? I know these contracts carry some risk but would you really rather go into next year with Lolohea and Littlejohn as our fullback and 5/8 next year.

I can understand the complaints but give me a plausible alternative.
Of course I wouldn’t go into season with LoLo & his ilk.We don’t & shouldn’t have to If Cleary & pasccoe had 1.01 skills in negotiation & a little savvy.

If ur going to pay overs then . the trade off is u neg a shorter term contract.Reynolds deadset won the equivalent of powerball.

Why did Cleary find it necessary to jump out of the blocks so quickly when signing players.There was no need to b impatient coz I’ve no doubt we would’ve landed Pearce or Maloney had we bided our time.Connor Watson would’ve also been a much better investment than Reynolds.

It seems obvious that Cleary took the easy option which wasn’t necessarily the best fit for us in signing players coz he had clout with them via a previous working relationship like the 3 disappointing kiwis Packer matulino & Taylor(resigned him for 3 yrs).The terms of their contracts r so favourable to them it’s absurd & a shrewd operator would’ve done a heck of a lot better with the crazy money that’s been outlaid on these sub standard players.

I suppose as a tigers fan I shouldn’t expect any better from management as we r accustomed to profound ineptitude.Its just that this time the coach had advantageous autonomy & power in the mkt place to recruit & assemble a quality side.Instead we have arguably the worst spine in the comp & highly paid recruits who have been terrible investments & a coach who has shown zero ability in establishing a shred of improvement to our attack.Additionally our defence is regressing as season progresses & our goal line defence is now as bad as the pre Cleary era !

Tiger Ted

Bench
Sign Reynolds for 2 years on the same dollar. Same as Packer and Matulino. Then wait and see what the market comes up with.

The best way to get players is to have money available. It's a professional sport now and if we offer more money players will come. It's all about managing to put together a good roster. The Dogs are an example of doing it completely the wrong way and they are in a much worse position than us.
Exactly & if they reject it so b it & u don’t budge from the primary endeavour of assembling a squad that’s value for money instead of desperately & recklessly over - spending on players who r not anywhere near worth the insane deals cleary & Pascoe gifted them.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Of course I wouldn’t go into season with LoLo & his ilk.We don’t & shouldn’t have to If Cleary & pasccoe had 1.01 skills in negotiation & a little savvy.

If ur going to pay overs then . the trade off is u neg a shorter term contract.Reynolds deadset won the equivalent of powerball.

Why did Cleary find it necessary to jump out of the blocks so quickly when signing players.There was no need to b impatient coz I’ve no doubt we would’ve landed Pearce or Maloney had we bided our time.Connor Watson would’ve also been a much better investment than Reynolds.

It seems obvious that Cleary took the easy option which wasn’t necessarily the best fit for us in signing players coz he had clout with them via a previous working relationship like the 3 disappointing kiwis Packer matulino & Taylor(resigned him for 3 yrs).The terms of their contracts r so favourable to them it’s absurd & a shrewd operator would’ve done a heck of a lot better with the crazy money that’s been outlaid on these sub standard players.

I suppose as a tigers fan I shouldn’t expect any better from management as we r accustomed to profound ineptitude.Its just that this time the coach had advantageous autonomy & power in the mkt place to recruit & assemble a quality side.Instead we have arguably the worst spine in the comp & highly paid recruits who have been terrible investments & a coach who has shown zero ability in establishing a shred of improvement to our attack.Additionally our defence is regressing as season progresses & our goal line defence is now as bad as the pre Cleary era !

You're living in a dreamworld if you think we could be in a better position. Since Cleary has come on board things have been a lot better than under JT.

Pearce has said he never wants to play for the Tigers, Watson said NEIN to us, and we'd have to pay top dollar for Maloney if we were to even entertain that idea.

Despite a horror showing on the weekend, we've been competitive all season, with minimal off-field turmoil, which I'm pretty sure if you asked WT fans at the start of the year they'd almost all be stoked with that.

Quit the Hatorade, mate. Cheers.

Perth Tiger

Bench

Can you provide any examples of any player doing this and any other club?

You're living in a dreamworld if you think we could be in a better position. Since Cleary has come on board things have been a lot better than under JT.

Pearce has said he never wants to play for the Tigers, Watson said NEIN to us, and we'd have to pay top dollar for Maloney if we were to even entertain that idea.

Despite a horror showing on the weekend, we've been competitive all season, with minimal off-field turmoil, which I'm pretty sure if you asked WT fans at the start of the year they'd almost all be stoked with that.

Maloney has also said he would never play for Wests, Sheens chased him apparently.

Tiger Ted

Bench

Of course they r hypotheticals whether we would’ve been able to sign Maloney or Pearce etc.

My concern or gripe is we unequivocally paid massive overs for a no. of players who r at backend of their careers.Maloney wouldn’t b on much more money than Reynolds & the disparity in their abilities is vast.

We were also shithouse v warriors & parra & lost to a very average knights.

I don’t know how anyone can b stoked with our abysmal attack our deteriorating defence particularly on goal line & our poor game management.

I dislike Taylor but geez he had zero autonomy at the club particularly regards assembling a roster whereas Cleary has had a dream run & clearly has blundered with recruitment.

Btw I’d luv the club to give me reason to open up a blue label Johnny Walker.Heres hoping !

Tiger Ted

Bench
Can you provide any examples of any player doing this and any other club?
There would b plenty of examples for both sides of the argument but u need to b privy to contract details of all nrl players.

My argument is to b successful u can’t go pay big $ & hand out long term contracts to a no. of players at the back half of their careers particularly when they r not elite.

Anyway maybe Cleary can prove otherwise whereby he has some mystical ability to extract consistently competent efforts from these players & hence put much egg on my face.Then I will b surprised & stoked !

Front-Rower

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/19...obbie-farah-back-from-south-sydney-rabbitohs/

I know I said on Sunday that if this happened I hope the club would fold. Of course, I don't want the club to fold, frustration leads to these kind of comments. However, I am deeply upset that the board have agreed to the proposal put forward to bring him back. Never, in the over 35+ years I have followed Western Suburbs and now Wests Tigers have I been more disillusioned with a decision the club has made then I am today. After all the fantastic work that the board, Pascoe and Cleary have put into the JV in the last 14-16 months we go and do this. It's an absolute disgrace.

If I was still a season ticket holder, the membership card would be going straight back.

I, for one, hope South Sydney say NO

Tiger05

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/19...obbie-farah-back-from-south-sydney-rabbitohs/

I know I said on Sunday that if this happened I hope the club would fold. Of course, I don't want the club to fold, frustration leads to these kind of comments. However, I am deeply upset that the board have agreed to the proposal put forward to bring him back. Never, in the over 35+ years I have followed Western Suburbs and now Wests Tigers have I been more disillusioned with a decision the club has made then I am today. After all the fantastic work that the board, Pascoe and Cleary have put into the JV in the last 14-16 months we go and do this. It's an absolute disgrace.

If I was still a season ticket holder, the membership card would be going straight back.

I don't know mate. We are discussing getting value for money from our signings and based on that I think we need Robbie back.

I don't think you can say well Reynolds on top dollar for 4 years is a good deal and Robbie on a pittance (I hope) and for the short term (I hope) is a bad deal.

We need to start managing this like a business. That is how lots of players act and if we act in the same way I think we can improve significantly. That isn't to state that IC hasn't done a good job. I think he is doing a great job but recruitment and retention is critical and we need to purchase the right players for the right dollars.

Tiger05

First Grade
There would b plenty of examples for both sides of the argument but u need to b privy to contract details of all nrl players.

My argument is to b successful u can’t go pay big $ & hand out long term contracts to a no. of players at the back half of their careers particularly when they r not elite.

Anyway maybe Cleary can prove otherwise whereby he has some mystical ability to extract consistently competent efforts from these players & hence put much egg on my face.Then I will b surprised & stoked !

I totally agree. It's okay for a year or two but we don't want to be in a position where we can't push for a top 8 spot because our top dollar signings aren't up to it.

I'm not even sold on purchasing elite players. Blair was supposedly elite. Woods was supposedly elite. Mitchell Moses was supposedly elite.

I think Brooks and Mbye are close to being elite players but not there yet. Lawrence is another who based on his performances this year is close to elite. The problem is that we have a bunch of guys taking up a bunch of our salary cap for a number of years to come.

Still we are in a much better position than when JT was here.

Shredder

Juniors
If I could add something related.

As a club, we NEED to spend I think its 95% of the cap each year, or else we are fined. That amount of money has to be spread among 30 (I think) players.

Ultimately it doesnt matter what you spend on an individual provided the team is within the cap.

In terms of our off season signings, considering what actually was off contract, I think we did well. We missed out on a couple and made choices on others before better options were available, but in terms of offseason recruitment I give us an A-. Which is better than I ever remember from us.

Yeah its not coming together and yeah we have a shit spine, but guys, relax. Instead of saying "we need a new forward pack" now we can say we need a 1 (Mbye?) and a 9. I feel a lot more comfortable for the future,

Vic Mackey

Referee
The other rumour is Cleary is meeting with Brian Kelly’s manager on thursday to work a deal getting him here. If we can add him to Mbye and Farah for next round our team is significantly, significantly stronger

Tigerm

First Grade

Geeze, FR get over it and move on, RF is a damn good footy player and we need his ilk atm, I think he may have another season in him tbh. Lets see if he does come, what he brings, can't be any worse then what we have now, maybe a few wins will change a few minds.
I and many others have said, no one is coming to a bottom feeder club, unless they are paid overs.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Geeze, FR get over it and move on, RF is a damn good footy player and we need his ilk atm

Lol good footy player...pads his stats and throws his toys out of the cot when he doesn’t get his own way. IC will be at Centrelink before too long. Enjoy all those insipirational once a year wins he carried this team too.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Maybe I am a little more mercenary than some, I couldn't care who we recruited based on their reputation etc, just so long as we were winning....maybe I should be a Roorters, Manly or Bronco's supporter but anyway, had we won on the weekend I'd have been more than happy to have Farah back as he would have helped us in the run to the semi finals but things have changed now I believe.

I now think after last weekend we will fall away and not make the semis, I actually think the Raiders will come in over the top of us and the Bronco's. So Farah coming isn't going to help us too much, it may be good for him to finish with the club and I don't have a problem with that but if Liddle is fit enough to be selected he may as well run around to try and get 80 minute fit...if he does well that is a bonus if not, he will be more ready for next year.

Sadly my fellow supporters...next year is all we have but gee I'd be happy to be proven wrong.