What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

RF is a damn good footy player and we need his ilk atm
he is and we do Tigerm but I'm still surprised. Breaking down the piece from https://wwos.nine.com.au/2018/06/19/15/35/nrl-robbie-farah-wests-tigers

Robbie Farah may get his wish and return to the Wests Tigers, after the club approved a proposal put forward by coach Ivan Cleary at a board meeting on Monday night. So the club approved the proposal put forward by IC, so IC saw merit in it as did the board otherwise they would have surely said no.

According to NRL.com, Farah is in line to score a contract for the rest of the season with his junior club, I didn't know West Tigers was a junior club however he will need his current club South Sydney to agree to a release. and why would they?

That shouldn’t be a problem considering coach Anthony Seibold told the veteran rake that he would allow him to leave the Rabbitohs, and why would he ? if he was offered a contract by another club.

It’s said Farah could be back at the club within 24-48 hours. So the new spine of Mybe, Grub/Benji, Brooks and Farah has what 10 days together, interesting, to say the least.

pads his stats
what ? how? surely Foxsports, NRL, the club a player plays for, David Middleton are the ones who control stats :confused: and I guess they pad them when a player is credited with a tackle when there are 2 or 3 in it but that would be the same for everyone wouldn't it?

Tigerm

First Grade
Maybe I am a little more mercenary than some, I couldn't care who we recruited based on their reputation etc, just so long as we were winning....maybe I should be a Roorters, Manly or Bronco's supporter but anyway, had we won on the weekend I'd have been more than happy to have Farah back as he would have helped us in the run to the semi finals but things have changed now I believe.

I now think after last weekend we will fall away and not make the semis, I actually think the Raiders will come in over the top of us and the Bronco's. So Farah coming isn't going to help us too much, it may be good for him to finish with the club and I don't have a problem with that but if Liddle is fit enough to be selected he may as well run around to try and get 80 minute fit...if he does well that is a bonus if not, he will be more ready for next year.

Sadly my fellow supporters...next year is all we have but gee I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
We are still a chance, a slim one I agree, we only need to string 3 or 4 wins together and we could be back in it, the players (hopefully) coming will assist that.

Tigerm

First Grade
Lol good footy player...pads his stats and throws his toys out of the cot when he doesn’t get his own way. IC will be at Centrelink before too long. Enjoy all those insipirational once a year wins he carried this team too.
Well, if you don't think he is a good footy player, then not sure what you use as a measure.

The other rumour is Cleary is meeting with Brian Kelly’s manager on thursday to work a deal getting him here. If we can add him to Mbye and Farah for next round our team is significantly, significantly stronger

Apparently Manly took on the option for 2019 for Kelly as well.

I'm ok with the signing. I just hope both he and Benji sail off into the sunset at the end of the year. If either try to stretch it out for another year I can see it getting messy.

Haha good one, I see a 18 month deal coming out of this. If Ivan wants him and is desperate, Farah holds the cards, if he doesn't get his way he'll sit on the pine at Souths and hope that Cook gets rubbed out late in the year. Plenty more upside in staying at Souths than coming back to Wests unless he gets what he wants.

BuffaloRules

Coach
C'mon mate. Matulino should have no problems uprooting his family from NZ to play for Wests Tigers on a 2 year deal whilst paying higher rent, cost of living etc than he would on Auckland.

Stay in Auckland then and play for the Warriors for half the money.

FFS.. it’s an over the hill Matulino we are talking about... not Fafita..

I would love to be negotiating with some of you blokes in respect of buying my house...

Tiger Ted

Bench
We are still a chance, a slim one I agree, we only need to string 3 or 4 wins together and we could be back in it, the players (hopefully) coming will assist that.
The way we have been playing along with the quality of teams 4pts above us on table makes it a very long shot.However while it’s mathematically possible we live in hope.

My personal view is we have buckleys & our probability of making the 8 in ‘19 with our enormous deficiencies in this b grade squad isn’t much better.

Vozzy

Juniors
This year was all about changing the culture and building a competitive squad. Other then the Canberra game and warriors game we have had chances to win every other game. From here it's all about trying to recruit a few stars that make the difference between winning and losing those close games that we lose. Kinda like Penrith without maloney they would be about 8th. Roosters bought everyone and it took them 12 rounds to find consistency

Tigerm

First Grade
From SMH.

Robbie Farah is expected be a Wests Tiger by the end of the week after the board rubber-stamped coach Ivan Cleary’s plan to bring him back to the club.

As revealed by Fairfax Media, Farah is poised to make the most unlikely of returns only18 months after the Tigers paid $750,000 to get him off the books. Cleary, who has a relationship with Farah forged during their time together with the Lebanon national team, pitched his case for a Farah return at a board meeting on Monday night.

Some of the directors who originally wanted Farah gone have done a backflip, backing the judgement of the coach in much the same way as when former mentor Jason Taylor wanted him out of Concord.

While there were some reservations, the plan was given the green light and Farah’s current club, South Sydney, are unlikely to stand in the way.

A deal is likely to be struck in coming days, giving Farah the chance to bow out alongside another prodigal son, Benji Marshall, at his beloved Tigers.

Farah was the long-time NSW hooker, but Damien Cook has won the race for his club and state jerseys. However, Cook couldn’t praise Farah enough for helping him to become a better player and believed he would become a huge asset for the Tigers.

“He’s got plenty
to do,” Cook said on Tuesday.

“When I was lucky enough to be in Origin he played in a couple of games. He got player’s player in one of the games and the coach’s award in the other. He made heaps of tackles and did really well.

“He’s got plenty in the tank to go. Obviously we’d love him to stay at Souths, but if he happens to end up at the Tigers - and if that’s how he wants to finish - then he deserves to finish the way he wants to with the career he’s had.”

Farah’s first game back in the black, white and orange is poised to become a huge event. With the NRL given a break this weekend due to representative round, Farah’s first game back will be against the Titans at Leichhardt Oval on a Sunday afternoon. The venue is one of Farah’s favourites and he will get the opportunity for a more fitting farewell than when he was forced to sit on the scoreboard alone after being overlooked for first-grade duties when last at the club.

Asked how much Farah had helped him at the Rabbitohs, Cook said: “He probably doesn’t understand [how much]. Just having his presence at the club, having the Tigers' Origin hooker coming in, being a young kid coming through I wanted to compete against him.

“You want to compete against the best and prove yourself. Having him there is healthy competition but to learn off him as well. He’s helped me with things like game management. I’m always practising my kicking game with him and little things around the ruck.

“Watching and being around those players at training is something that has helped.

“The calibre of player he is and everything he’s done in the game is everything I want to do. I’m very lucky to have him in my corner.”

The Tigers are desperate for a spark after copping a heavy defeat against Canberra. Mahe Fonua could be sidelined for the rest of the season with a broken forearm and the joint-venture outfit hasn’t settled on a hooker since Farah’s departure. Pita Godinet, Jacob Liddle, Elijah Taylor and Matt McIlwrick and Josh Reynolds have spent time at dummy half with mixed success, but the addition of Farah and long-time Bulldog Moses Mbye to the spine will provide a huge boost to their finals chances.​

super_coach

First Grade
Short term fixes like Farah will not get this team into the 8. Okay yes he is miles better than the no9's we have been rolling out in recent weeks, but he dosn't address lack of speed power and aggression. So I am not sure what we are trying to achieve and I certainly do not see what Farah is trying to achieve. If he stays with Souths he has a real chance of being involved in a finals campaign that has a chance of going all the way.

My only guess is maybe they are trying to get Farah to take on a coaching role come 2019 or maybe a mentor for Liddle. Who knows, but I guess if nothing else it will attract miles of publicity and a few extra bums on seats

Front-Rower

First Grade
and I certainly do not see what Farah is trying to achieve

His ego is hurting. When he got shown the door here no one wanted him and only his connections at Souths got him a gig. Floundering in reserve grade again and no one interested in him until he made the call to IC just goes how to show what the other clubs think of him.