What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Fiji, now Lebanon

DC_fan

Coach
To be blunt; I would much prefer Lebanon not play in the Pacific Test in place of Fiji.

But I just don’t understand these issues between the World Cup Squads and the domestic administrations. Has the Fiji NSW Cup team even been officially confirmed?

Why is everything in this sport so difficult?

Because it is all about politics

adamkungl

Immortal
Buried at the bottom of an SMH article https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/un...-nut-for-cleary-to-crack-20180619-p4zmg1.html

Fiji miss payment deadline

In other NSWRL news, Fiji has failed in its bid to field a team in the Intrust Super Premiership next year.

The stumbling block, as has been the case in previous years, was getting a bank cheque to ensure the bold proposal became a reality. Fijian officials had until Monday to stump up the funds and their request for an extension until the end of the month is unlikely to be granted. The goal will now to be to make 2020 a reality.

jim_57

Staff member
The return the NRL would get on their investment here player wise could be huge, a bit of a subsidy surely wouldn't break the bank.

I've said it before but if the right systems were put in place the Pacific Islands (Mainly PNG & Fiji) would become a genuine 4th major player source for the NRL up there with QLD, NSW & NZ.

adamkungl

Immortal
Maybe its an unpopular opinion in here, but if they can't afford a professional Rugby League side, they shouldn't enter a professional Rugby League competition.
I'd like to see the NRL work with them to improve pathways and provide more opportunities for local players, but at the end of the day they have to be able to support themselves and pay their players.

This failure plus the World Cup payments farce which the RLIF had to rectify suggests the Fiji administration is not at the level they need to be to compete at this level.
The cynic in me thinks they were probably holding back rep player payments to make sure they could afford to stump up the cash for this.

RedVee

First Grade
This has been going on a few years now. They have had ample time to realise that they need this guarantee. I’m assuming that the goalposts haven’t greatly moved year on year.

Let’s hope for 2020!

Perth Tiger

Bench
I wonder if they have approach the NRL for funding and they said no or if they haven't even bothered to seek funding from the NRL.

Even though I guess Fiji would be outside the purview of the NRL, surely they could see, as someone mentioned earlier, that increasing the player pool would increase the level of the NRL and help fill any expansion sides that would then lead to higher value for the rights.

RedVee

First Grade
When you consider the amount of rugby talent that comes out of Fiji especially the union guys I can’t believe that a NRL club hasn’t tried to affiliate themselves with the Fijian bid.
St George Illawarra did a bit of work over there some years ago.