What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleary v Ponga

T-Boon

Coach
Cleary will turn out to be about Jarrod Mullen standard.
Ponga will have a Brett Mullins type career.

mongoose

Coach
Give me one example of what he does on the field "he has no right in doing". Fact is, his skillset is limited to goose stepping and throwing the occassional cutout ball.

Ponga has the potential to be like Lockyer but with the footwork of RTS.

Cleary plays like a 200 game experience halfback for his age but im not sold on him being one of the greats. I reckon he'll be pearce v.2 except without all the hate.

adamkungl

Immortal
I reckon he'll be pearce v.2 except without all the hate.

Pretty much. Maybe better. Advantage of not playing against Smith Cronk and Slater for his career..

If all goes well for Cleary for the next 5 years, he'll be one of the best halves currently in the game.

If all goes well for Ponga, he'll be one of the best players of all time.

Ponga has the potential to be like Lockyer but with the footwork of RTS.

Cleary plays like a 200 game experience halfback for his age but im not sold on him being one of the greats. I reckon he'll be pearce v.2 except without all the hate.
Similar skill level but Nathan has already shown he can handle rep football and no panic unlike Piss

perverse

Referee
Hard to say who's better, but if i could have one of them at my club, it would be Cleary all day
Even average NRL fullbacks like Wighton are servicable players, it's a far easier position to find and fill... finding an elite halfback you can build a team around for 12 years is the hardest thing in this sport to do team building wise

Also the nature of Ponga's game, he's 1-2 bad injuries away from losing a lot of what makes him so good. Cleary's best attribute isnt his athleticism. It would STUN me if Cleary isnt one of the best 5 players in the game...

I dont expect it to happen but it wouldnt shock me if in 6 years time Ponga isnt playing rep footy
Or, in nick87 parlance - that guy that doesn't play for the Knights. :eyes:

It's true though, it's harder to find a serviceable half. That doesn't make him a better player or answer the question actually posed, but it is true.

And I wouldn't say Pongas best attribute is his athleticism, either. It's a nice one, but his ball playing and decision making has created a lot more than his speed and agility at this stage.

McLovin

Staff member
Essentially comparing a fullback to a halfback is silly and is clearly bringing out some woeful debating.

I think a better comparison debate would be Nathan Cleary vs Kyle Flanagan

Both will combine at state and international level one day and we'll be talking of them in the same vein as Joey vs Fittler when all is said and done.

nick87

Coach
Na Perverse, I don’t really hate the knights anymore. I don’t really hate any sporting team anymore. I’ve gained a new lease on my sporting life since Feb

I actually like that the knights are just your run of the mill bad team who are trending towards being a very good team, rather than the black hole of talent and ability they’ve been in the last 3-4 years

mozza91

Coach
Hard to compare. Cleary started very strongly in 2016, but struggled in early 2017 (as did his team) before finishing the season strongly.

Ponga has had nothing but upside and the fact he’s taken his game to another level since Pearce got hurt is very impressive. But there will be a time when he’s struggling, not sure when it’ll happen though.

I wouldn’t trade him for any other fullback in the game just as I’m sure Panthers fans wouldn’t trade Cleary for another halfback.