What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Valheru

Coach
Origin 1 on the last Sat in May
Origin 2 on the queens birthday long weekend sunday night
Origin 3 the last Sat in June
all NRL free weekends
comp resumes the Thursday night following for all games

we can't have an entire month of the NRL being suspended so the above is the best solution , clubs will need to ... manage .. their players if they are involved in all 3 games plus the club games around them

Why not?

Last Week

Bench
Would anyone notice a difference in the competition if the two split rounds were just canned? It's one less game for each club.

Play origin on the Sundays. Pacific tests, women's Origins, what ever NZ want to do, etc etc.

Three weekends of what we are having this weekend.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Short turnaround are good enough for test matches like the ANZAC/Trans-Tasman one in May, so why not Origin?
I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to tbh. That rep weekend got scrapped - the test match was held Friday night after a minimum five day turnaround (6+ for most players) prior and then any players from the test had a full week before they next took the field. Am I missing something?

Dogs Of War

Coach

I was thinking the same thing. People will attend events, but normal club games in the middle of winter leave something to be desired. Not to mention it allows players who aren't part of one of these events to refresh somewhat. Not sold on Bennetts nines idea though.

Valheru

Coach
I was thinking the same thing. People will attend events, but normal club games in the middle of winter leave something to be desired. Not to mention it allows players who aren't part of one of these events to refresh somewhat. Not sold on Bennetts nines idea though.

I think there is some merit in the 9s idea but it would just be gravy and any 3 week break would have to revolve around the following

3 x SOO games
3 x NZ V ENG tests
Pacific cup between PNG/SAM/FIJ/TGA with all teams playing each other once over 3 weeks
3 x Women's SOO games

That is what I would start with and it could be tinkered with after a couple of seasons.

Reactions: Vee

Valheru

Coach
Would anyone notice a difference in the competition if the two split rounds were just canned? It's one less game for each club.

Play origin on the Sundays. Pacific tests, women's Origins, what ever NZ want to do, etc etc.

You don't even need to have less NRL games for this to work.

There is already 1 week off for SOO (this week). Get rid of the regular season bye for each team (meaning 24 NRL rounds as opposed to 25 this year) and that is a 2nd week taken back for the proposed SOO period. You would then just need to add 1 week on to the season at the start of March which is the exact same start date as when there were 26 rounds.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The clubs who rely on gate takings, memberships, corporate packages.

The broadcasters who pays for content.
I assume these are the same clubs who make losses on poor-drawing games because expenses usually outweigh revenue.

And broadcasters would still be paying for content presuming the number of rep fixtures increase.

Perth Red

Post Whore

I’d have thought origin on a Saturday night would make it even bigger? More fans able to travel without taking time off work, more origin parties, more people,watching tv on a Saturday night. What’s the advantage of a Sunday?

Dogs Of War

Coach
That is what I would start with and it could be tinkered with after a couple of seasons.

This is what I would do.

NZ/ENG/PNG/SAM/FIJ/TGA playing in 2 pools (It's only 2 games for each team). Winner of each pool plays off in the 3rd week. Pools by international ranking I suppose. You could also have teams play off for all the other places. ie 2nd in pool plays 2nd in other pool to maximise games in the 3rd week. Call it Commonwealth Cup or something?

Could even make it a triple header on a Saturday. Say Perth one week, Melbourne the next, Auckland for the final.

3 x SOO games. Mens and Womens. Sunday

Valheru

Coach
Why would SL suspend its competition for three weeks to benefit Australian media content?

They would host the 3 match series every alternate year.

Out of interest, have they stopped the SL this week?

Anyways, it is up tot hem what they do. We don't actually need England to make this work, we can involve NZ in some other way if need be.

Up to England if they want to come to the party or not.

Saint Doc

Coach
Oh right then. Why aren't we playing this weekend then?

We haven’t reduced the number of games this season. We just condensed the 24 games (12 home 12 away) into 25 rounds instead of 26. The clubs aren’t losing a game.

The question was who would notice the loss of a game.

My answer of the clubs and the broadcaster remain.

Yes, there could be strategies to counteract the loss, like increasing rep content for broadcasters and improving financial return for clubs of the remaining games. But if you don’t, there will be massive resistance

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I'm good with June 'rep month' but Play Origin three Sundays in a row (or Wednesday if you want), let all other players go and play for their country and have a Pacific Cup, Euro Cup, NZ v England series to provide content.

The NRL loses momentum anyway, we may as well freshen things up with a bit of colour and passion with rep footy led by QLD, NSW, Tonga & Samoa

Pommy

Coach
They would host the 3 match series every alternate year.

Out of interest, have they stopped the SL this week?

Anyways, it is up tot hem what they do. We don't actually need England to make this work, we can involve NZ in some other way if need be.

Up to England if they want to come to the party or not.

They have suspended it this week as England are playing.

Diesel

Referee
I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to tbh. That rep weekend got scrapped - the test match was held Friday night after a minimum five day turnaround (6+ for most players) prior and then any players from the test had a full week before they next took the field. Am I missing something?
Yep, for the May test match, teams were announced Sunday night and played Friday night, so 5 days prep. Origin gets up to a 10 day preparation.

Raiderdave

First Grade
the comp would lose all momentum
if you think crowds suffer from origin taking all the fans focus under the present system
it'd be nothing compared to if you had no comp games at all for a month.

Having no competition to rival codes except 3 games & some under card games over an entire month would be suicide