What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxlegend99

Referee
If you stop people from having a life because they have a criminal record you make things worse not better. It's the best way to get people to re-offend. Everyone in the game wants to be a good example to society but rehabilitation is apparently not a good thing. It's rediculous.

Look at Lodge. Because he's involved with the NRL he's getting counseling, the vixtims are getting their desired outcome and he's also using himself as an example to young people who are on the same path as he was so they can be better people.
How does preventing anyone from playing NRL stop them having a life?

Plenty of jobs worth far less and not in the public eye have far higher standards then we currently do. I think being on good to great money and in the public eye it's only fair we have decent standards on what sort of people we accept.

The sport would be better off if they drew a line in the sand on what is and isn't acceptable. Im happy for many lesser offences to get a second or even third chance. But some offences should not even have that.

Obviously that's not how we operate now. But to suggest it would deprive them of a life is not true. It would only deprive them of one job opportunity. One that they don't deserve.

OldPanther

Coach
That is biggest f**king cop out I have read this year. It’s not the attitude of others that make people rape and/or assault people or worse. Wake up to yourself champ.

You've completely missed the point. Continuing to punish people forever is what I'm against and doing so causes more harm than good. Champ.

OldPanther

Coach
A comment from reddit which I really like:

If you remove opportunity from people they'll simply resort to further crime.

If you've paid your price for your crime then you should be allowed to re-enter society as an equal.

"Life is short" they say. It's f**king not, if you've got societal limits applied on what you can do because of a mistake you've made. It's long as f**k.

We need to ensure that people can re-enter their lives and contribute. Football is a very basic part of that for some.

A comment from reddit which I really like:

If you remove opportunity from people they'll simply resort to further crime.

If you've paid your price for your crime then you should be allowed to re-enter society as an equal.

"Life is short" they say. It's f**king not, if you've got societal limits applied on what you can do because of a mistake you've made. It's long as f**k.

We need to ensure that people can re-enter their lives and contribute. Football is a very basic part of that for some.
Oh that is like saying that pedophiles should be allowed around children. Yes people deserves second chances, well he should work in a lowly paid job instead.

MrBlack

Juniors
This is such a divisive subject. Even people who agree have finer points that disagree.

We all like seeing people make amends for poor choices and actions. It happens every day all around us.

The point of difference here is that these people (players) are having to do it in the public eye, which makes it substantially more difficult.

Guys like Lodge Simona Packer etc, good on them for trying to do the right thing, make things right again. At the end of the day they are professional athletes and that is what they do to make a living. They see it as their best shot at redemption. None of us know what Lodge etc has done to rectify things, nor his levels of shame or remorse. So how can we judge him??

Question is, Do I want these type of players at my club??, maybe yes maybe no. Really a case by case basis.

Will I hero worship them just because they wear my teams jersey?? Definitely not, but I will give them a small amount of respect for trying to make things right. Many who have wronged don't even bother and continue on a downward spiral.

OldPanther

Coach
Oh that is like saying that pedophiles should be allowed around children. Yes people deserves second chances, well he should work in a lowly paid job instead.

Lodge wasn't able to pay his victims the money they were awarded until he got an NRL contract which he's now doing. If he didn't do that I would be on the side saying he shouldn't play.

It's not the same. Hasn't it been proven pedophiles can't be rehabilitated? Guys like Lodge, Packer and myself sure can.

OldPanther

Coach
This is such a divisive subject. Even people who agree have finer points that disagree.

We all like seeing people make amends for poor choices and actions. It happens every day all around us.

The point of difference here is that these people (players) are having to do it in the public eye, which makes it substantially more difficult.

Guys like Lodge Simona Packer etc, good on them for trying to do the right thing, make things right again. At the end of the day they are professional athletes and that is what they do to make a living. They see it as their best shot at redemption. None of us know what Lodge etc has done to rectify things, nor his levels of shame or remorse. So how can we judge him??

Question is, Do I want these type of players at my club??, maybe yes maybe no. Really a case by case basis.

Will I hero worship them just because they wear my teams jersey?? Definitely not, but I will give them a small amount of respect for trying to make things right. Many who have wronged don't even bother and continue on a downward spiral.

Well said.

Lodge wasn't able to pay his victims the money they were awarded until he got an NRL contract which he's now doing. If he didn't do that I would be on the side saying he shouldn't play.

It's not the same. Hasn't it been proven pedophiles can't be rehabilitated? Guys like Lodge, Packer and myself sure can.
Yes it is. He is a thug, who has committed a heinous crime. He could have killed his victims.

Exsilium

First Grade
So back to rumoured signings.

Our depth has enabled the club to persevere and maintain the season with some wins.

We’ve been decimated in the props so having Lloyd Perett would be ideal. He’s a strong ball runner with an offload and a decent motor. Was a bit of praise for him a couple years back

MrBlack

Juniors
Yes it is. He is a thug, who has committed a heinous crime. He could have killed his victims.

His crimes were dealt with in a court of law. Punishment was delivered.

It's his actions from now that will determine if he reoffends again, or contributes positively to society.

No-one is asking to hold him up as a beacon of heroism. He just needs a vehicle for redemption.

OldPanther

Coach
So back to rumoured signings.

Our depth has enabled the club to persevere and maintain the season with some wins.

We’ve been decimated in the props so having Lloyd Perett would be ideal. He’s a strong ball runner with an offload and a decent motor. Was a bit of praise for him a couple years back

According to Gus He's not coming.

His crimes were dealt with in a court of law. Punishment was delivered.

It's his actions from now that will determine if he reoffends again, or contributes positively to society.

No-one is asking to hold him up as a beacon of heroism. He just needs a vehicle for redemption.
He got of to lightly. I hope he never, ever, dons a Panthers jersey ever again.

MrBlack

Juniors
He got of to lightly. I hope he never, ever, dons a Panthers jersey ever again.

Lightly?? based on what?? Media reports?? or have you read the court documents??

He owes $1.6m in damages. He needs to make $3.2m to pay this off. At an average of $300k per year that is his entire wages for the next 10 years (or effectively his entire career)

I don't want him in a Penrith Jersey either, only because I hope we have set a higher standard than that.

But we are all too quick to play judge, jury and executioner on this guys life.

Pomoz

Bench
How does preventing anyone from playing NRL stop them having a life?

Plenty of jobs worth far less and not in the public eye have far higher standards then we currently do. I think being on good to great money and in the public eye it's only fair we have decent standards on what sort of people we accept.

The sport would be better off if they drew a line in the sand on what is and isn't acceptable. Im happy for many lesser offences to get a second or even third chance. But some offences should not even have that.

Obviously that's not how we operate now. But to suggest it would deprive them of a life is not true. It would only deprive them of one job opportunity. One that they don't deserve.
This such an arbitrary decision though MX. We make a call whether a job opportunity is sufficiently good enough that he should be be denied it. So he applies to be a garbage collector, is it OK to do that job? What about nursing? Shop assistant? Bank teller? Is it a financial issue, or the jobs relative niceness the issue? He can't earn above $X and job can't be a job that is perceived to be nice. Can he paint the harbour bridge? What about mowing lawns? Or are those jobs outside and that is nicer than being inside so he is disqualified from those too. Can he clean toilets? But not ones in luxury hotels, only dirty public ones.

It makes no sense to me, that you stop him doing the job he is trained for and good at and hope he gets a job doing something else just because we perceive his job to be privileged. What if he can't get another job? Nobody will give him a chance because he has a criminal record and no experience in other jobs.

How does that help his victims get some financial compensation?

How does it help society because he now needs to be paid benefits and how does it help society because we are now creating an environment where he may reoffend as the hopelessness of his situation unfolds. We have now created more victims when he gets angry again and lashes out.

What if he was beaten every day of his life by his parents and that has caused his anger and aggression? What of he was molested by a priest and that has caused his anger and aggression? What if he has a chemical imbalance in his brain chemistry that was previously undiagnosed and that caused his anger and aggression?

There seems to be a need for retribution, revenge, punishment. No thought is given to the impact it has on everybody that it affects, including the victims. What about the bad things that have been done to him that make him the way he is? Do we just ignore them and say "tough, we know you were beaten/molested/have medical issues, we don't care, suffer you bastard'.

This issue is complex and how we handle it says much about humanity and what it stands for.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
This such an arbitrary decision though MX. We make a call whether a job opportunity is sufficiently good enough that he should be be denied it. So he applies to be a garbage collector, is it OK to do that job? What about nursing? Shop assistant? Bank teller? Is it a financial issue, or the jobs relative niceness the issue? He can't earn above $X and job can't be a job that is perceived to be nice. Can he paint the harbour bridge? What about mowing lawns? Or are those jobs outside and that is nicer than being inside so he is disqualified from those too. Can he clean toilets? But not ones in luxury hotels, only dirty public ones.

It makes no sense to me, that you stop him doing the job he is trained for and good at and hope he gets a job doing something else just because we perceive his job to be privileged. What if he can't get another job? Nobody will give him a chance because he has a criminal record and no experience in other jobs.

How does that help his victims get some financial compensation?

How does it help society because he now needs to be paid benefits and how does it help society because we are now creating an environment where he may reoffend as the hopelessness of his situation unfolds. We have now created more victims when he gets angry again and lashes out.

What if he was beaten every day of his life by his parents and that has caused his anger and aggression? What of he was molested by a priest and that has caused his anger and aggression? What if he has a chemical imbalance in his brain chemistry that was previously undiagnosed and that caused his anger and aggression?

There seems to be a need for retribution, revenge, punishment. No thought is given to the impact it has on everybody that it affects, including the victims. What about the bad things that have been done to him that make him the way he is? Do we just ignore them and say "tough, we know you were beaten/molested/have medical issues, we don't care, suffer you bastard'.

This issue is complex and how we handle it says much about humanity and what it stands for.

Much better way of getting to my point. Really well written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts