What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General #crisis thread - league in the media

mongoose

Coach
Kirisome avua’a, Zane tetevano as far as I know. Plus ken Edwards before he left for France.

okay

I suppose we wouldn't know which AFL players are on DV charges since the AFL pays the victims hush money.

Such a weird culture they must have down south that even the women journalist will defend the AFL doing this....

gUt

Coach
okay

I suppose we wouldn't know which AFL players are on DV charges since the AFL pays the victims hush money.

Such a weird culture they must have down south that even the women journalist will defend the AFL doing this....

There's nothing weird about it. The AFL pays for favourable coverage outside the bubble and completely dominates the media inside it.

hutch

First Grade
okay

Spot on. 2 years ago I tried to add up all the nrl and afl players off field incidents. From the amount I found online the afl had more and also the more serious incidents. Not that you would ever know from the way things are reported.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Willie Mason's fake teeth makes him even more ridiculous than before. Looks like he's wearing a bright white mouth guard.

TheFrog

Coach
this one must have been commissioned by the AFL, seriously what an ornament La Trobe uni is: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/o...e/news-story/da950e0bcef77e227c650f98478ced50
Of course, the exact same thing happens during the AFL grand final and most marquee sporting events, as well as Christmas, New Year and other celebrations. Some people get pissed and behave badly. We've known this for 2000 years. Alcohol affects some people in unpleasant ways. Good on Latrobe Uni for telling us what we already know.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
this one must have been commissioned by the AFL, seriously what an ornament La Trobe uni is: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/o...e/news-story/da950e0bcef77e227c650f98478ced50
Thanks la Trobe, they’re whole spiel is the big sporting events have greater consumption of alcohol and can therefore lead to more agresiveness and violence. I hope this didn’t cost too much too fund. And of course let’s put a state of origin headline on it so people will click.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

What annoys me the most is how obvious there agenda is.

Firstly, the alcohol research center is based out of the la Trobe Melbourne HQ.

Secondly, La Trobe university sponsors and supports Carlton, aflpa, afl coaches Association, afl sportsready and a joint afl/netball group.

This absolutely smacks of bias and failure of fair and reasonable reporting. I don’t really have a problem with the actual findings of the report but the fact that no other sport has been included and that it has been published without acknowledgement of afl sponsorship bias and on the week that we have our standalone origin weekend. Can someone let Beattie on Twitter know that this can’t keep happening. Every year this happens.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Shtty biased way to report it, but if these figures are correct it is a pretty scary cause and effect!

New data from the New South Wales Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research spanning six years from 2012 to 2017 indicates a 40.7 per cent average increase in domestic violence, and 71.8 per cent in non-domestic assaults across the state on Origin game days.

Unless the numbers are really low so the % seems high even though only a slight increase? Cant be arsed to read the study.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
Shtty biased way to report it, but if these figures are correct it is a pretty scary cause and effect!

New data from the New South Wales Bureau of Crime Statistics and Research spanning six years from 2012 to 2017 indicates a 40.7 per cent average increase in domestic violence, and 71.8 per cent in non-domestic assaults across the state on Origin game days.

Unless the numbers are really low so the % seems high even though only a slight increase? Cant be arsed to read the study.
It’s scary when people take sport too seriously and get drunk and abusive towards families or others. Having said that the same report said there was a spike on afl grand final day but didn’t elaborate because it was latrobe in Melbourne that did the study.
You can imagine there are spikes in certain countries for massive events super bowl, fifa World Cup I mean the Colombians just murder there players if they don’t do well and that’s after time to cool down can’t imagine what the wives and kids are copping.

gUt

Coach
Bulldog Ritchie's true genius is allowed to shine now that Rothfailed is sleeping in Russian ditches:

Latest posts