What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Valheru

Coach
the comp would lose all momentum
if you think crowds suffer from origin taking all the fans focus under the present system
it'd be nothing compared to if you had no comp games at all for a month.

Having no competition to rival codes except 3 games & some under card games over an entire month would be suicide

Disagree

I don't think the NRL crowds would suffer at all.

As for losing momentum, the NRL loses momentum for 6 weeks as it stands, SOO is all anyone talks or cares about.

Stopping the comp for 3 weeks reduces the interruption by half.

jim_57

Staff member
The clubs who rely on gate takings, memberships, corporate packages.

The broadcasters who pays for content.

You could scrap bye/half rounds and just have 24 full rounds and 3 rep weekends and it would be the exact same season length pre-finals as we've had in the past with 26 rounds + International weekend.

Between Origin, international, womens, juniors and maybe even 9's there is more than enough content for the 3 'stand alone' weekends.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yep, for the May test match, teams were announced Sunday night and played Friday night, so 5 days prep. Origin gets up to a 10 day preparation.
I don't think you're following my point.

the proposal i quoted - the Bennett graphic - basically stopping the comp for three weekends - still had Wed night Origins 1 and 3, so the effect of taking 3 weeks off is negated by the fact that players still miss the round leading into Game 1, and still have to back up 2 days after the last game.

IMO the point of a mid-season break is to set aside the imposte on clubs during the NRL season and if it's only one game that gets the resting benefit there's no point

Raiderdave

First Grade
Disagree

I don't think the NRL crowds would suffer at all.

As for losing momentum, the NRL loses momentum for 6 weeks as it stands, SOO is all anyone talks or cares about.

Stopping the comp for 3 weeks reduces the interruption by half.

I disagree with your disagreement
the club comp loses some momentum presently the way we do it , but we're still playing club games so , it has a pulse , we'd lose even that if we had a complete hiatus for a month & it would take a bit to get it back , its not necessary & borderline stupid to do it.
stand alone weekends are perfectly ok but we don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water by suspending the comp for an entire month or 3 weeks as well.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
the club comp loses some momentum presently the way we do it , but we're still playing club games so , it has a pulse , we'd lose even that if we had a complete hiatus for a month & it would take a bit to get it back , its not necessary & borderline stupid to do it.
stand alone weekends are perfectly ok but we don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water by suspending the comp for an entire month or 3 weeks as well.

Bullshit...

People dont look at Round 1 and say "meh, there is no momentum". After the summer break, people are keen to get into footy. If anything, we LOSE momentum as the season goes on, just based on fatigue and repetitive fixures.

A mid-season break would be like a mini off-season, which would then lead into a second season launch.

If we have a break over Origin, then everyone can get worked up of the series and the NRL doesnt suffer. After Origin is done, people will be craving club games again and they will be excited instead of exhausted.

jim_57

Staff member
Bullshit...

People dont look at Round 1 and say "meh, there is no momentum". After the summer break, people are keen to get into footy. If anything, we LOSE momentum as the season goes on, just based on fatigue and repetitive fixures.

A mid-season break would be like a mini off-season, which would then lead into a second season launch.

If we have a break over Origin, then everyone can get worked up of the series and the NRL doesnt suffer. After Origin is done, people will be craving club games again and they will be excited instead of exhausted.

Agree with most of that, perhaps a compromise could be playing 1 Origin/rep, 1 NRL round (I'd go for 'country round' with all games played in regional areas) then Origin/rep 2 weekends straight to finish. All Origins on weekends.

Timmah

Staff member
I used to think that stopping the comp for 3 weeks would be a bad thing but we need to try alternatives to the current dip in attendances mid-season.

If you give people an exciting and engaging thing to attend different from the weekly NRL grind in the depths of winter (Pacific Tests, Women's Origin and State of Origin itself), then that could form its own springboard and then it all hypes the 'return of the NRL' for a run to the finals. The only potential negative is for clubs that find themselves out of contention already before the break but even then they can be marketed as banana peel type teams.

Surely it's worth a shot?

Reactions: Vee

Raiderdave

First Grade
Bullshit...

bullshit

its nothing but a free kick for our rivals
we don't need a break from our comp , I think stand alone origins are the right path
suspending the comp tho is utter lunacy

Raiderdave

First Grade
I used to think that stopping the comp for 3 weeks would be a bad thing but we need to try alternatives to the current dip in attendances mid-season.

If you give people an exciting and engaging thing to attend different from the weekly NRL grind in the depths of winter (Pacific Tests, Women's Origin and State of Origin itself), then that could form its own springboard and then it all hypes the 'return of the NRL' for a run to the finals. The only potential negative is for clubs that find themselves out of contention already before the break but even then they can be marketed as banana peel type teams.

Surely it's worth a shot?
the first step is stand alone origins & that's a huge change after 38 years
lets see how that goes first

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
bullshit

we don't need a break from our comp , I think stand alone origins are the right path

This arguement about "free kick to the rival" is so dumb...

If you want to prevent any opening for rivals, then we need 100 teams playing 50 weeks of the year.

Why not focus on making the NRL the best that it can be. Then we can let the produce attract fans, instead of just saturating the market with heaps of average content so our fans are too exhausted to watch anything else.

unforgiven

Bench
Mid season 3 week break for origin is the best idea, both states choose 25 man squad for the series that stays together for 3 weeks. Treats both the NRL and SOO with the respect that they deserve.

franklin2323

Immortal
Bullshit...

Round 1 everyone has a chance so there is buzz. Imo the top 8 is set so what buzz is there for teams like Parra etc? Big difference

franklin2323

Immortal
The clubs who rely on gate takings, memberships, corporate packages.

The broadcasters who pays for content.

Not just that origin is easily lost in a shorter build up. Wednesday gives the extra few days of being lead story on news. Interested to see the ratings for this week's game

Springs09

Juniors
bullshit

How is it a 'free kick for our rivals' when there are just as many games played on these weekends as the split rounds? Are our fans that fickle that they'll turn to AFL or Union instead of watching international league just because their NRL team isn't playing?

Timmah

Staff member
Not just that origin is easily lost in a shorter build up. Wednesday gives the extra few days of being lead story on news. Interested to see the ratings for this week's game
Huh?

Origin?

Easily lost?

Please. Origin's all anyone talks about from basically Round 5 onwards.

juro

Bench
What are the crowd expectations for the rep games this weekend? Any sales numbers anywhere?

I’d like to see a mid season rep break, but I’d hope at least 2 of the 3 origins stay on a Wednesday night. Mid week gives it a unique feeling.

Also think the break would freshen fans up for the run home to the finals, build some hunger for club footy.

Latest posts