What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

franklin2323

Immortal
that series in 2001 was very well attended. people talk about it as though it was an abject failure. 70,429 at homebush on a wet sunday night was great. brisbane also had two games with a full house at the old lang park (38,909) and nearly 50k at QE2 (49,441).

https://afltables.com/rl/soo/soo_idx.html

Origin crowds will always be well attended my comments were on TV ratings. Is there a person here that thinks Origin 2 will outrate Origin 1? The exposure the Wed night games get is priceless

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Round 1 everyone has a chance so there is buzz. Imo the top 8 is set so what buzz is there for teams like Parra etc? Big difference

If a team is relentlessly shit, they will probably draw shitty crowds regardless of the week off. Honestly, i even think the bottom teams would benefit from the break...

The pause might shake up form enough to give lower teams a chance (even the prospect of that is a sales point leaving into the post-origin restart) and the fans might forget their shit form just enough to give the team another chance.

If there is even a mathematical chance of teams qualifying, their fans will show some interest in the club. And if they are too shit to attract fans back after a break, i dont think the "momentum" of a lossing streak will help much...

People forget there is reasons why the weekend Origin was tried and failed

Origin could still be on the wednesday even if the NRL is paused. It feels like a missed opportunity not to turn it into a big sundey event. But if these next few years show that Sunday Origin is a no-go, we can still pause the NRL AND hold origin on the Wednesday.

My suspicion would be that we would end up with something similar to what we have now (Wed-Sun-Wed or Sun-Wed-Sun). It would allow some freedom for game scheduling (maybe they like Melbourne games on Wednesday to avoid VFL clashes, etc) and it would give the comp a 10-day turnaround between matches instead of the 7 they would get over 3 weeks.

I wouldnt say the 2001 series was a failure and it DEFINITELY isnt enough information to rule out Sunday games ever happening again....

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Origin could still be on the wednesday even if the NRL is paused. It feels like a missed opportunity not to turn it into a big sundey event. But if these next few years show that Sunday Origin is a no-go, we can still pause the NRL AND hold origin on the Wednesday.

My suspicion would be that we would end up with something similar to what we have now (Wed-Sun-Wed or Sun-Wed-Sun). It would allow some freedom for game scheduling (maybe they like Melbourne games on Wednesday to avoid VFL clashes, etc) and it would give the comp a 10-day turnaround between matches instead of the 7 they would get over 3 weeks.

I wouldnt say the 2001 series was a failure and it DEFINITELY isnt enough information to rule out Sunday games ever happening again....

What was Origin valued at last TV rights? $60m?

4m every game on TV and the sport free few days before are why. Any changes made have to not dilute that value. This weekend is a good test

greenBV4

Bench
Round 1 everyone has a chance so there is buzz. Imo the top 8 is set so what buzz is there for teams like Parra etc? Big difference

Probably no more or less than there currently is, so there is no loss in that regard

for middle ranking teams battling for the 8 it would be like a second round 1, and similar for teams trying to finish in the top 4

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What was Origin valued at last TV rights? $60m?

4m every game on TV and the sport free few days before are why. Any changes made have to not dilute that value. This weekend is a good test

While i mostly agree, we are ALREADY diluting the value of the NRL...

Better if it is possible to make NRL better without damaging Origin. But even if Origin needs to cop a small reduction in value, if it means the NRL making big gains out of it, then that is ok.

T-Boon

Coach
OK crowd but I think if you play that in Newcastle it is 20k minimum. We got 18k to a womens soccer international last year.

Raiderdave

First Grade
How is it a 'free kick for our rivals' when there are just as many games played on these weekends as the split rounds? Are our fans that fickle that they'll turn to AFL or Union instead of watching international league just because their NRL team isn't playing?
Yep
I'm sorry, a women's origin & games of that level, arent going to cut it for a month
Boredom will set in waiting for the men's origin, interest potentially lost

Thankfully in this regard at least
Broadcasters run our game, so the NRL will never be fully suspended while this occurs
& some of the luney tunes ideas in here given a run

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yep
I'm sorry, a women's origin & games of that level, arent going to cut it for a month
Boredom will set in waiting for the men's origin, interest potentially lost

Thankfully in this regard at least
Broadcasters run our game, so the NRL will never be fully suspended while this occurs
& some of the luney tunes ideas in here given a run
Speak for yourself Dave. You're a relic stuck in the past. A packed NSO last night, packed Campbelltown tonight, 20k+ in Denver tomorrow morning and a near-capacity ANZ tomorrow night is fine by me and more of the same over 3 weekends would the perfect mid-season tonic.

You seem keen to ignore how bad Origin-period club footy crowds are to advance your point. It's odd.

Latest posts