What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

El Diablo

Post Whore
Lol, Mrs M.

Smell the fear
well Mister Victorian still hasn't explained how a self proclaimed MCG crowd expert managed to be so wrong

I'm not saying that 70k won't be a good crowd, I just think they are 'fudging' the estimation to make it look better.

So who believes the the NRL & the MCG are guessing accurately tonight for Origin I?

Will they reach the projected 80,000?

I'm personally expecting lower than 70,000 there is just a few factors that don't seem to suggest that number for me.
  • Even in a smaller than normal MCC section that has now offered free guest passes for people to bring along friends they aren't offering 'seat tickets' for people on Level #1. For those that are unfamiliar with the MCC-- most of the seating is always 'First come, first served' as tradition with the members association. However on large events they give 'seat tickets' so that people can reserve their seats once they arrive at the ground. This allows people to turn up when the doors open at 5pm, get two seats and then go to the bars inside for a few hours. Normally they only do it for the best seats on the middle two levels (which is what they are doing it for SOO), however for large events like the Queens Birthday game on Monday, Anzac Day, Finals, etc. they provide 'seat tickets' on level #1 as well due to expected demand in the MCC. This means they mustn't be expecting the MCC section to fill up heaps.
  • Despite there 'limited seats' available for general sale, when you look at the 'Blues' or the 'Maroons' sections (checked just now) there are still plenty of seats available at the cheaper price points that are offering seats in the 'middle' areas of Level 1. As about 75% of all Level 1 seats are allocated to these 'groups' I think there are more available seats left than it appears. (was just able to 'get' 8 seats together in M10 (Silver tickets) testing ticketed now.
  • On the 'Blues' side of that the Platinum seats have been marked down from $290 to $200 and are still available in large groups in M20 (between the 40 & the 50 metre line)
I would love for it to be a big crowd tonight (so I can experience another big game atmosphere like 2015 and the past two Grand Finals), but I'm just worried that it won't happen.

Well considering I’m attending my 3rd Origin game in Melbourne tonight (Etihad in 2012, MCG in 2015 & tonight) you think I’d probably want to see it succeed. I’m part of the small ‘rusted on’ NRL fan base in Melbourne despite being born in Victoria. I’ve attended 90% of NRL games in the past decade (only really miss when it clashes with Richmond games or if it’s a Friday 6pm game). So maybe you need to reconsider your continual comparison of me to someone with a mental difficulty just because I think differently than you.

My points aren’t based off of any NRL figures, but off the MCG’s own ground predicated figure. The MCG always publishes it on their website the week of an event— tonight’s crowd is predicted to be 80k according to the MCG.

They also predicted last Saturday night (Dreamtime at the G) to be 86,000 and it ended up with just on 80k.

My points have nothing to do with my knowledge of NRL or Origin, but based off the patterns and knowledge I have about a ground that I attend on average 15-20 times a year. As a Richmond/AFL supporter, 5+ of those occasions are for crowds of a similar size.

Either they have sold the tickets for the stadium in a really unconventional manner (selling out level 4 before level 4) or I think personally they have inflated the crowd.

I’d love to be wrong, but that’s just what I’ve noticed as someone who knows the MCG.

Valheru

Coach
Yep
I'm sorry, a women's origin & games of that level, arent going to cut it for a month
Boredom will set in waiting for the men's origin, interest potentially lost

Thankfully in this regard at least
Broadcasters run our game, so the NRL will never be fully suspended while this occurs
& some of the luney tunes ideas in here given a run

Interest in what?

Do you think the average joe relies football games to be entertained of a weekend?

Raiderdave

First Grade
Speak for yourself Dave. You're a relic stuck in the past. A packed NSO last night, packed Campbelltown tonight, 20k+ in Denver tomorrow morning and a near-capacity ANZ tomorrow night is fine by me and more of the same over 3 weekends would the perfect mid-season tonic.

You seem keen to ignore how bad Origin-period club footy crowds are to advance your point. It's odd.
who else would I be speaking for exactly ?
all those games are fine in conjunction with the NRL , not in lieu of it
crowds suffer due to players missing from games , I'd prefer the number of club games reduced if we're concerned about player burnout , & have a proper reserve grade to develop more depth within clubs & produce better players to assist with burnout & improve the overall quality in the NRL as a knock on effect
but stopping the comp completely isn't the solution & may eventuate in even more problems as a result

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
who else would I be speaking for exactly ?
all those games are fine in conjunction with the NRL , not in lieu of it
crowds suffer due to players missing from games , I'd prefer the number of club games reduced if we're concerned about player burnout , & have a proper reserve grade to develop more depth within clubs & produce better players to assist with burnout & improve the overall quality in the NRL as a knock on effect
but stopping the comp completely isn't the solution & may eventuate in even more problems as a result
You seem to think you're speaking for the masses, the way you post.

Reducing the number of club games would allow for a three-week rep break. It actually makes sense. It has to be worth trying and the fact you can't even make room for that speaks to the relic you are.

Burns

First Grade
Pacific Test at Campbell town should sell out tonight. Expect there will be a big walk up crowd.

Raiderdave

First Grade
You seem to think you're speaking for the masses, the way you post.

Reducing the number of club games would allow for a three-week rep break. It actually makes sense. It has to be worth trying and the fact you can't even make room for that speaks to the relic you are.
as i did say , its too big a change
hell even this weekend is weird , & oddly I think , has taken some of the shine off the Origin tomorrow night , the content we're trying to peddle is not good enough interesting enough for everyone & its like we're telling our fans to go off & do something , anything else for the weekend waiting for the origin.
2nd rate club games are better then essentially nothing IMO

hutch

First Grade
This is one of the best rounds of the year and it’s only getting bigger. It will move to 2 or 3 weekends in the future, rugby league takes time before they get things right so it won’t happen overnight.

Vee

First Grade
Looked like a good crowd at the girls last night. I couldn't find my way out of the bar. Currently on the train to Cambo for the Pacific Tests. Then back into town, WC all night, Denver test at 6am and breakfast and beers at Cheers.

They don't call us for the small jobs .

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Bullshit...

People dont look at Round 1 and say "meh, there is no momentum". After the summer break, people are keen to get into footy. If anything, we LOSE momentum as the season goes on, just based on fatigue and repetitive fixures.

A mid-season break would be like a mini off-season, which would then lead into a second season launch.

If we have a break over Origin, then everyone can get worked up of the series and the NRL doesnt suffer. After Origin is done, people will be craving club games again and they will be excited instead of exhausted.

100% agree - the Pacific teams and Women's Origin can help provide TV content during the rep break which will also garner lots of interest.

jim_57

Staff member
3 weeks of this would be great, whether it is 3 weekends in a row or stretched out with a few full NRL rounds in between. Over 3 weekends you have so much potential games and oppurtunities. Could easily see these type of rounds giving us a packed out Western Sydney stadium, Mt Smart (Or even Eden Park with NZ involved), a game in North America, maybe even a home game to one or more of the Pacific Nations and more.