What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

ahhh
you keep making stupid irrelevant comparisons like
theres no momentum in round one either
fans do other things in summer
we're not talking about either , we're talking about stopping the comp for a month right in the middle after having 12 or 13 rounds played & asking people to pick up their interest where they left off a month earlier
the interest will wane in the competition if we suspend the comp for a month & it won't matter what you put on in lieu of it , never mind the fact that if we try & stretch the other content over a month , not one weekend & trying to come up with enough quality to keep people interested. 1 weekend with no NRL is fine
3 is not
the 2018 system has just 2 rounds potentially affected by Origin , not 4 , certainly not 6
its the best system we've had to date , its the one we should run with for the foreseeable future.
The only change I would make is the 2nd Origin/rep round weekend on the Long weekend in June.
RD you seem to be on your lonesome here . Plenty can see the benefits of stopping the comp for 3 weeks
It's not like fans are being deprived of RL altogether .
We have quality content to fill the space ..just look at games so far this weekend .
Any person who says they will lose interest is not a RL fan .
How can watching quality games filled with passionate players turning out for their home country be considered as losing interest .

It's a freshen up mid season .
After the complaints by a lot of people about the impact on the NRL season ...the ARLC finally come up with something good & you not like it .

It's a win win from my perspective .

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’d stick with as is for next year then following year go to 1st origin on a weds and the following two being stand alone rep weekends. Try that for three years and gauge how it travels.

We finally look to be investing properly in international RL and planning a 5 year calendar. Eventually I hope it becomes so big we can afford to reduce the nrl and SL seasons to accomodate a better balance.

Raiderdave

First Grade
How is the comparison irrelevant? NRL fans manage to go 6 months basically with no rugby league at all and they don't suddenly stop being fans or switch sports. I don't see how 3-4 weeks filled with rep games is suddenly going to be the thing that makes them bored.

You make it sound like it would be hard to come up with content. SOO, women's SOO, international matches between PNG, Fiji, Tonga, Somoa, NZ, Eng (who knows maybe even a 3 match series), nines tournaments etc. There are so many options.

Under the current conditions you might only have a couple of games directly impacted by SOO but one look at crowds tells you just how much interest drops for the full 8 week period.

The current system is the one that has NRL fans tuning out in their droves. The 3-4 week break with a big NRL relaunch will drive interest not kill it.

They're irrelevant because they're not remotely the same thing as I showed.
& it would be impossible to come up with enough quality content short of stretching out what we have on this weekend over 3 with nothing else of any interest on & that will do a lot more damage then a few under par crowds under the present system. We have improved the system as much as it needs to be for the time being this year , other things need to be done to continue to fix up the mid season issue of origin/club football including far reaching developmental improvements to our overall club set ups so the quality of the comp & depth is improved & player burnout becomes less of an issue.

We're not going to suspend the comp for a month so really , theres no point wasting our time talking about it , hell theres talk we won't even repeat this year next year , such is the debate in the game as to the affect of stopping the NRL for one weekend , let alone 3. I hope we do keep up this system , its been a good change & it needs to continue , but some of the talk of extending it is just pie in the sky stuff

Last edited:

Raiderdave

First Grade
RD you seem to be on your lonesome here . Plenty can see the benefits of stopping the comp for 3 weeks
It's not like fans are being deprived of RL altogether .
We have quality content to fill the space ..just look at games so far this weekend .
Any person who says they will lose interest is not a RL fan .
How can watching quality games filled with passionate players turning out for their home country be considered as losing interest .

It's a freshen up mid season .
After the complaints by a lot of people about the impact on the NRL season ...the ARLC finally come up with something good & you not like it .

It's a win win from my perspective .

Then you haven't been reading what ive been writing
Ive said about ten times now , this year is an improvement , but that's enough
I'm addressing this delusional talk of extending it for 3 weekends
that's ... lunacy

Pommy

Coach
Then you haven't been reading what ive been writing
Ive said about ten times now , this year is an improvement , but that's enough
I'm addressing this delusional talk of extending it for 3 weekends
that's ... lunacy

Lunacy in your opinion, it’s not a fact that it’s lunacy.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Let’s wait and see how the ratings turn out, particularly for tonight’s game..

That will be the deciding factor at the end of the day.. we all know that when it comes to scheduling of games, crowds are a secondary consideration in the NRL admin’s minds..

Raiderdave

First Grade
some .. circumstantial.. evidence could be drawn via TV ratings for this in lieu of the NRL content to see how its performing
the results have been mixed
the ladies origin rated extremely well for a womens game at around 690K on fox & 9 combined , I suppose you could say it was the first official SOO for the women & had some historical significance etc
but that's as good as most NRL games on a Friday night & better then some too

but last nights ratings were disappointing id think
only 118K on fox for Fiji V PNG fox only ratings as it wasn't covered on ch 9
& 381K on fox & metro ch 9 combined ( 137K fox , 244K ch 9) , so maybe 500K all up when regionals are included for Tonga V Samoa
both down considerably against NRL games in similar time slots , so a lot of NRL fans didn't watch any league at all yesterday & that's a concern.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
'NRL' fans still get exactly the same amount of games in a year with no half arsed Origin affected rounds. 'Rugby League' fans get all that plus 3 rep weekends to mix it up a bit, not speaking for everyone obviously but it has been a breath of fresh air for me.

If NRL had to reduce the amount of games or season length because of this there may be an argument, but it all fits in to the same time frame if you ditch the bye rounds.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Reading Raiderdave's responses to literally everyone else has been a highlight.

49f7469e2062e9febf8693e04b318e9d

The best part is probably the bit where he keeps referring to 3 NRL-free weekends as "a month off" to make it sound bad.

Pathetic Buzz-esque bullshit :joy:

Timmah

Staff member
but last nights ratings were disappointing id think
only 118K on fox for Fiji V PNG fox only ratings as it wasn't covered on ch 9
& 381K on fox & metro ch 9 combined ( 137K fox , 244K ch 9) , so maybe 500K all up when regionals are included for Tonga V Samoa
both down considerably against NRL games in similar time slots , so a lot of NRL fans didn't watch any league at all yesterday & that's a concern.
Sharks Broncos - the 7:30 game last Saturday, got 258k on Fox.
381k is "down considerably"?

:joy: you keep digging, relic

Raiderdave

First Grade
Reading Raiderdave's responses to literally everyone else has been a highlight.

49f7469e2062e9febf8693e04b318e9d

The best part is probably the bit where he keeps referring to 3 NRL-free weekends as "a month off" to make it sound bad.

Pathetic Buzz-esque bullshit :joy:

it is a month off dummy
you don't play in a 4 week period , not 3

but keep banging on
it aint gunna happen , smarter minds then some of the delusional clowns in here know its suicide & so it won't even be discussed at the top levels of the game let alone considered

Timmah

Staff member
it is a month off dummy
you don't play in a 4 week period , not 3

but keep banging on
it aint gunna happen , smarter minds then some of the delusional clowns in here know its suicide & so it won't even be discussed at the top levels of the game let alone considered
LOL rant away you absolute clown. The weight of informed, intelligent public opinion is not in your corner here. You're stuck in 1970.

Timmah

Staff member
you moron
381K is fox & 9 combined LOL
Correct - and Channel 9 isn't normally broadcasting on a Saturday. You don't just pretend those figures don't exist so it's suits your ridiculous, antiquated narrative

Raiderdave

First Grade
Correct - and Channel 9 isn't normally broadcasting on a Saturday. You don't just pretend those figures don't exist so it's suits your ridiculous, antiquated narrative

hahahaha
what the hell has ... normally .. got to do with it
according to you this is what we've all been waiting for , something different , forget normal
well guess what , apparently someone forgot to tell everyone because those ratings aren't that great & below NRL ratings , considerably under any circumstance pointing to a lot of people not watching any league at all
118K for PNG & Fiji
probably 50% down on an NRL equivalent game at that time ( yeah we can have a direct comparison there ) , 381K for a combined telecast as hyped up as it was aint gunna convince anyone at the ARLC that suspending the NRL for a month won't have an effect
they'll side with the relics , because the relics are right :)
delusional clowns continue to flame away LOL

Raiderdave

First Grade
LOL rant away you absolute clown. The weight of informed, intelligent public opinion is not in your corner here. You're stuck in 1970.

oh really
lets see if it happens then
&
Id rather be stuck in 1970 , then have my head stuck up my arse like you

Reactions: Vee

Latest posts