What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunt is No7 for Queensland

giboz71

First Grade
Unfortunately when Origin is the stage. Hunt will always be expected to produce what Cronk and JT did time and time again for QLD.

I love Hunt as a player. but he’s not anywhere close to those guys.

Until he delivers in the clutch, there will be questions, especially given what happened in the 2015 GF. Hopefully he can put those doubts to bed by leading us to a comp this year.

True_Believer

Juniors
none of their fowards ran over 100 metres. can't do much when your fowards aren't laying the platform. hunt plays good with quality fowards. hense we're top of the table

Yep - this is where it went wrong for him. Additionally, Slater didn’t have the impact he had in the first half and I still think there’s something going on between Hunt and Munster.

Realistically he only had that one bad kick. They get a try or a repeat set - all good. But it didn’t go that way. And the penalty try was nothing different to what happens in every other game - was just his timing was off. Shit even NSW did it in the same game and Slater is master of it.

I don’t think he did too much wrong other than that.

Carlton

Juniors
Yep - this is where it went wrong for him. Additionally, Slater didn’t have the impact he had in the first half and I still think there’s something going on between Hunt and Munster.

Realistically he only had that one bad kick. They get a try or a repeat set - all good. But it didn’t go that way. And the penalty try was nothing different to what happens in every other game - was just his timing was off. Shit even NSW did it in the same game and Slater is master of it.

I don't think it was Hunt's best game but I also don't think it was any near as bad as what is being made out. For me Munster was a bigger problem, the ball stopped with him and killed their attack way too often. This was one of the reasons Slater didn't do as much in the second half.

BennyV

Referee

I dont blame him for the penalty try - hell, the reason it was given a penalty try was because if Hunt didnt get in the way, Cordner scores regardless. His actions there had 0 impact on the outcome of the game.

Saying that it was just '1 bad kick' is really playing down a pivotal moment in the game. Big game players dont just go for big players - they know when to go for them and pull them off, to some extent. That kick on tackle 3 was simply not on, poorly timed and poorly executed. QLD go through that set and the game has a very different finish.

It's tough on him being the only kicker in the team, but his kicking really wasnt on all night. He was feeding well to the outside backs early in the game with the help of Slater but when Slater started to tire Hunt needed to adjust and he couldnt. He didnt have a 'shocking' game but between shitting the bed when he needed to be calmer (not just the kick, I think he missed a few tackles that lead to tries too) and not necessarily bringing anything major to the team to account for that (unlike Maloney, for example) he just doesnt suit it. I'm very concerned about his headspace too - he didnt have a poor 2016 but it took him a while to shake off the GF incident, so hopefully he doesnt repeat that here.

More to the point, QLD are ushering out an era of champions - not just Thurston/Cronk/Smith/Slater but guys like Matt Scott, Boyd and so on. For the most part, they are doing a decent job of ushering in the next generation (how f**king incredible is Ponga, right?!) but a key part of that next gen is Ash Taylor in the 7 jersey (also the reason that Hess should be starting on the left edge...another story). This year was maybe not 100% the time to get him there but net year definitely. Hunt is just a placeholder, and its unfortunate for him that his year in the starting jersey went down this way.

As I've said elsewhere, come back to Clubland Benny. Dont try and Mitchell Pearce your way out of an already reasonably-sized hole, but gracefully fade away from Origin, leaving only your name next to the 7 jersey on the 'QLD SOO' Wikipedia page. Let Mary hold you tightly and shield you from all that is dark and evil in the world, before Graham puts a rocket up your ass so we can get ready for finals footy.

While we are attacking Ben Hunt just think of what he was working with, Munster was not sighted all night, therefore Hunt had to step up and make the play.
Would you rather have him stand back and disappear or step to the breach and try to make the big play, fine it didn't come off, but at least he was willing to step up and try things.

It only takes you back to last year to realise when your the only play maker in the team it forces you to do some really poor things on the field, ask Widdop.

If DCE had been playing behind that defeated forward pack he would not have been sighted all game, at least Hunt stepped up.

True_Believer

Juniors
I dont blame him for the penalty try - hell, the reason it was given a penalty try was because if Hunt didnt get in the way, Cordner scores regardless. His actions there had 0 impact on the outcome of the game.

Saying that it was just '1 bad kick' is really playing down a pivotal moment in the game. Big game players dont just go for big players - they know when to go for them and pull them off, to some extent. That kick on tackle 3 was simply not on, poorly timed and poorly executed. QLD go through that set and the game has a very different finish.

It's tough on him being the only kicker in the team, but his kicking really wasnt on all night. He was feeding well to the outside backs early in the game with the help of Slater but when Slater started to tire Hunt needed to adjust and he couldnt. He didnt have a 'shocking' game but between shitting the bed when he needed to be calmer (not just the kick, I think he missed a few tackles that lead to tries too) and not necessarily bringing anything major to the team to account for that (unlike Maloney, for example) he just doesnt suit it. I'm very concerned about his headspace too - he didnt have a poor 2016 but it took him a while to shake off the GF incident, so hopefully he doesnt repeat that here.

More to the point, QLD are ushering out an era of champions - not just Thurston/Cronk/Smith/Slater but guys like Matt Scott, Boyd and so on. For the most part, they are doing a decent job of ushering in the next generation (how f**king incredible is Ponga, right?!) but a key part of that next gen is Ash Taylor in the 7 jersey (also the reason that Hess should be starting on the left edge...another story). This year was maybe not 100% the time to get him there but net year definitely. Hunt is just a placeholder, and its unfortunate for him that his year in the starting jersey went down this way.

As I've said elsewhere, come back to Clubland Benny. Dont try and Mitchell Pearce your way out of an already reasonably-sized hole, but gracefully fade away from Origin, leaving only your name next to the 7 jersey on the 'QLD SOO' Wikipedia page. Let Mary hold you tightly and shield you from all that is dark and evil in the world, before Graham puts a rocket up your ass so we can get ready for finals footy.

Not saying he had a good game at all. But the media and fans crucifying him for losing the game is unwarranted.

The kick was at a crucial time - but as he has said in interviews, they were trying to keep the Blues down that end so he was trying to get a repeat set. He kicked too hard and it went out - not a brain explosion but more poor execution.

Missed tackles - I believe QLD had around 30 missed tackles in the game? I don’t think all tries were as a result of his misses. Shit there were 3 woeful attempts for the NSW first try.

My point was that he wasn’t the sole reason for the loss - there were a few factors and poor decisions that cost them the game.

Old Timer

Coach
Hunt to me is like Terry Lamb
An incredibly high quality 1st grade NRL player but just not quite there at the highest rep level.
Hunt is adequate at rep level as was Lamb but there are just a few players in those key positions that bring that bit more especially in clutch situations.
We didn't buy Hunt for his rep prowess we got him to steer a 1st grade NRL side so let's be happy that so far on the majority of occasions he is doing that very well and obviously his combination with Widdop is far more suited to him than the 1 with "look at me" Munster.

giboz71

First Grade
I don't think it was Hunt's best game but I also don't think it was any near as bad as what is being made out. For me Munster was a bigger problem, the ball stopped with him and killed their attack way too often. This was one of the reasons Slater didn't do as much in the second half.

Overall his game was quite good.

But a halfback will always be judged in those key moments when the game is on the line to win it for his team. That’s the greatness of guys like JT, Cronk, Smith etc. That’s the bar now for QLD unfortunately.

Hunt is one of the best halves going around, so is Widdop for that matter but neither have delivered in the clutch so far in their career.

This year will be their best opportunity to prove they can do it.

Bench
That kick by Hunt was done because Tedesco was up in the line. So for me although not a good kick was tactically the right move, it didn’t come off and he cops a blast which is fair enough, if it had produced a try then he would be a genius.
The maroons were on fire for the first 25 minutes, after that they were off the boil. You can’t blame Hunt for how the maroons played. We just were more hungry.