What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Origin II - NSW 18-14 QLD @ ANZ

Series: NSW v QLD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

typicalfan

Coach
Maybe in 2019 we can set up a commentators choice button. Press red to hear Fatty and Wally as the colour commentators and since we are so good to Qld we will even give you Hadley as the play by play commentator.

GongPanther

Referee
Maybe in 2019 we can set up a commentators choice button. Press red to hear Fatty and Wally as the colour commentators and since we are so good to Qld we will even give you Hadley as the play by play commentator.
About 20 years ago on paytv,you could press the red button. You had a choice of commentary,no commentary with just the sound of the crowd which I strongly wish they brought back,and different camera angles. I remember the coaches view (just a wide field unchanging view from the top of the grandstand),but not any of the other angles. Might have been player cam.

TheFrog

Coach
Not trash talking him but a couple of points:

1. Maloney should have got MOTM

2. Why is Cordner playing like a prop.
Agree with 1. They used to give Gallen MoM for taking repeated hit-ups as well. As to 2, it would seem to indicate Fittler doesn't have faith in the props he has selected. Klemmer played 39 minutes and Prior 34. I thought Vaughan and Jake T were the pick of the NSW middle forwards.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
During a SOO,these threads are posted too many times to keep up with,and at the same time keep an eye on the game when typing with the one hand.

So I've spent the best part of a couple of hours reading it from the start of the game. Out of 1-10? I gave it 11. :)

just did the same thing.. i think an 11 is off the mark though... Skeeps efforts alone deserve a 15 out 10...

King hit

Coach
Great seeing the Queenslanders turn on each other, like they say they never do. Remember Chris Close going on before the series about how NSW will never understand origin as Queensland will never criticise their team and will stick by through anything.

Nice one old mate

OldPanther

Coach
Cordner isn't playing like a prop.

As for MOTM discussion, Maloney and Latrell were the 2 that stood out as stronger candidates but I can see why they weren't chosen. Maloney was nothing short of awful in that first 20 minutes continuing his form from the week before. Full credit to him for taking the bull by the horns from there (especially the rest of the first half) but that first 20 may have excluded him.

Latrell was probably the best performer over the 80 minutes but that 20m restart error was so obviously the catalyst for the last QLD try and everything that happened after that, which unfortunately for him excluded him.

Of the others, Teddy and Cook were solid but nowhere near game 1, Roberts had his issues and Turbo/JAD were ok. Cleary was nowhere to be seen so that leaves only the forwards. Prior looked overawed, Klemmer was great in the first half but not seen thereafter. JDB, Vaughan, Angus an Frizell were all solid without being world beaters and Peachey obviously had limited opportunity.

So if you do exclude Maloney and Latrell (I wouldn't necessarily do so) you are only left with Cords and Jurbo from the winning side and due to the sheer workload and putting the team on his back when there were very few metres to be found, Cordner got the nod.

Yeah that's how I'd rate it too. Though Cleary covered more ground than anyone and his work off the ball is insane. Shame our forwards got dominated so the halves got no real shot.

Cordner certainly was playing like a prop. I think @Tommy Smith might be on to something there and it was a necessity.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yeah that's how I'd rate it too. Though Cleary covered more ground than anyone and his work off the ball is insane. Shame our forwards got dominated so the halves got no real shot.

Cordner certainly was playing like a prop. I think @Tommy Smith might be on to something there and it was a necessity.
The best compliment I can give Cleary - and I mean this sincerely - is that whilst he wasn't noticed for anything spectacular, he equally wasn't noticed for anything disastrous.

He's a 20yr rookie halfback with less than 50 FG games under his belt. So we shouldn't be expecting miracles.

But what impressed me is that there were no Mitchell Pearce bonehead plays. There was no Ben Hunt gumby grubber for a game defining 7 tackle set.

He's obviously been giving great coaching to just do the basics and do them well - namely tackle like a beast, run where possible, and give good ball to the gun backs.

That's all he did and that's more than enough for now. It was indeed more than enough - we've won 2 nil.

The time will come when he steps up and takes ownership of the team; probably around 2020/21 when Maloney pulls up stumps.

But until then I'm happy to see him tackle hard, run at the line, kick deep, and give ball to Teddy and GoaTrell. And no doubt there'll be some great plays thrown in there too.

Translation for some Penrith fans: Ermagherd!! Just keep the ball away from Fraudner and you'll be best on ground!!

King hit

Coach
Cleary also has come up with some excellent covering tackles in the first 2 games. Inglis in Melbourne and Holmes in Sydney and both crucial tackles in match defining moments.

OldPanther

Coach
The best compliment I can give Cleary - and I mean this sincerely - is that whilst he wasn't noticed for anything spectacular, he equally wasn't noticed for anything disastrous.

He's a 20yr rookie halfback with less than 50 FG games under his belt. So we shouldn't be expecting miracles.

But what impressed me is that there were no Mitchell Pearce bonehead plays. There was no Ben Hunt gumby grubber for a game defining 7 tackle set.

He's obviously been giving great coaching to just do the basics and do them well - namely tackle like a beast, run where possible, and give good ball to the gun backs.

That's all he did and that's more than enough for now. It was indeed more than enough - we've won 2 nil.

The time will come when he steps up and takes ownership of the team; probably around 2020/21 when Maloney pulls up stumps.

But until then I'm happy to see him tackle hard, run at the line, kick deep, and give ball to Teddy and GoaTrell. And no doubt there'll be some great plays thrown in there too.

Translation for some Penrith fans: Ermagherd!! Just keep the ball away from Fraudner and you'll be best on ground!!

Pretty well said. Everyone says halves peak in their mid 20s.

I don't hate Cordner though he seems different this year. Something seems off. Not quite sure what. Maybe a new spine in clubland.

GongPanther

Referee
Cleary also has come up with some excellent covering tackles in the first 2 games. Inglis in Melbourne and Holmes in Sydney and both crucial tackles in match defining moments.
Agreed.And if only he got that ball away when he attacked the line close to FT. But like Tommy said,his time will come and then he will kill it.

big hit!

Bench
During a SOO,these threads are posted too many times to keep up with,and at the same time keep an eye on the game when typing with the one hand.

So I've spent the best part of a couple of hours reading it from the start of the game. Out of 1-10? I gave it 11. :)

I haven't got 2hrs so took a stab and selected page 58.

I picked good

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Ha! we're up to page 37.

tumblr_o24hwpDgD31qiafa2o3_540.gif