What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Westworld

elyod138

Bench
One of the best episodes of the show IMO. I much prefer the slower paced ones.

I hope Akecheta is a main character from now on, the actor is amazing (also good in Fargo).

Timbo

Staff member
Could not believe William is that far gone he can't tell the difference between hosts and real human beings.

It really changed my opinion of him in a hurry - he's gone from being the one I was cheering for to the out and out villain in the space of one scene.

Apey

Staff member
Total mindf**k as expected. I liked it, but I haven't wrapped my head around a lot of it yet.

Timbo

Staff member
Total mindf**k as expected. I liked it, but I haven't wrapped my head around a lot of it yet.

Yeah. Especially the final scene.

Actually, especially all of the scenes.

Am... am I a host? Is LU a host?

And... what’s the show about now?

Apey

Staff member
Well the post-credits scene was confirmed to be (yet) another timeline set much further in the future and thus largely unrelated to the events of season 2.

read: William is not a host at any point up until when the gun backfires.

People were worried he'd be a host and he wasn't (thankfully) but Stubbs being a host (also confirmed in same/similar interview) was pretty damn lame I thought.

Not sure what it says about the delivery if the showrunners have to explain things in interviews afterwards.

Timbo

Staff member
Well the post-credits scene was confirmed to be (yet) another timeline set much further in the future and thus largely unrelated to the events of season 2.

People were worried he'd be a host and he wasn't (thankfully) but Stubbs being a host (also confirmed in same/similar interview) was pretty damn lame I thought.

Not sure what it says about the delivery if the showrunners have to explain things in interviews afterwards.

Yeah. I mean, I’m still enjoying it. But it’s driftimg towards Mr Robot territory where it’s feeling a bit like homework it’s so convoluted.

gUt

Coach

Do you have a link? I thought I understood what was going on but apparently not.

Apey

Staff member
Do you have a link? I thought I understood what was going on but apparently not.

For the post-credits scene being set in the future
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...-2-finale-explained-lisa-joy-season-3-1122744

But the one thing we did pop in that did jump out of that time sequence was the storyline with the Man in Black. For the majority of the season, we're seeing him in the same timeline as everybody else. He's in the park as hell has unleashed. He goes a bit mad as he thinks about his past, as he journeys into the Valley Beyond. He kills his daughter, not sure whether she's his daughter or a host. Ultimately, we see him on the shore, as Hale — or "Halores," as we like to call her — leaves the park. We see that he has survived that final arm injury he's had. That rounds out that timeline.

What we see in the end recontextualizes a little bit of that. All of that did happen in that timeline, but something else has occurred, too. In the far, far future, the world is dramatically different. Quite destroyed, as it were. A figure in the image of his daughter — his daughter is of course now long dead — has come back to talk to him. He realizes that he's been living this loop again and again and again. The primal loop that we've seen this season, they've been repeating, testing every time for what they call "fidelity," or perhaps a deviation. You get the sense that the testing will continue. It's teasing for us another temporal realm that one day we're working toward, and one day will see a little bit more of, and how they get to that place, and what they're testing for.

~~~
Does the fact that this scene takes place in the future indicate a time jump for season three?

I think that storyline is something we'll get to eventually. But season three, the main story will not be leaping that far forward. I'm really curious creatively to see what happens to Bernard and Dolores, now that they've finally earned their freedom. I think we'll see a lot more of that.

It was related to his story in the rest of the season in the sense that we expect his test of fidelity is to go through the season 2 events and make the same decisions ending up at the door each time.

That being said, I still can't figure out (nor can anyone else apparently from what I've read) why 'the door' game was meant for William. It seemed to have no genuine resolution.

For Stubbs being a host
https://www.thewrap.com/westworld-finale-stubbs-host-hale-luke-hemsworth/

TheWrap: When Halores left the beach, it seemed like Stubbs new it was Dolores — or at least that it wasn’t Hale. Is that safe to assume?

Joy: Yes! It is safe to assume. And there is a step further that you can assume too. And we don’t say it explicitly, but if you are left wondering with all [Stubbs’] talk, his knowing talk about, “I’ve been at the park a very long time,” and Ford (Anthony Hopkins) designed him with certain core drives, and he’s gonna stick to the role he’s been programmed with; it’s a little acknowledgement of just why he might have his suspicions about what’s going on with Hale, and then lets her pass.

And doesn’t it make sense if you are Ford and designing a park and you have a whole master plan about helping robots that you would keep one Host hiding in plain sight as a fail-safe? Maybe the Host who’s in charge of quality assurance? And by the way, that was totally meant to be subtle [laughs].

I've read another article where it sounds like the idea of Stubb being a host was a 'late' idea by Nolan. I think above all else, it was the worst idea they came up with. It felt like a completely unnecessary 'gotcha' moment. This season has been criticised as being too focused on having gotcha moments rather than a meaningful story and I can't help but agree in retrospect. I much preferred (head-canon) the interpretation that I had originally watching the show, where he was just a human assisting Ford's cause who knew the hosts and could recognise them easily.

Timbo

Staff member
Yeah, the last 48 hours hasn’t seen it sit very well with me.

I think the writers are confusing complicated with good. If your audience can’t follow the story unless you break it down for them online after the episodes end that’s not clever - it’s bad writing.

Reactions: PJ

Latest posts