What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs Eels

Belta

Juniors
Crossbow said;

"...bank this game and we’re in the semis...then maybe rest a few guys..."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree Crossbow, this is how I would approach it.

But,

player welfare is paramount AND:

[It would only apply if the medical staff have been overly cautious and conducted stringent assessments, then and only then, question the players, if they indicate they're OK and all boxes ticked then they're in ] An ISP side is gifting 2 points. All the top 8 sides will collect v the Eels. If we rest against a top side, no biggie

Dragonslayer

First Grade
All teams have a squad of 30 for a reason. Its time for us to utilise some of our "other" 13.
It will be difficult (not impossible)for Friz, JDB and vaughan to come down 4 days after such a high. Howver out of thise Vaughan is the more likely to be able to.
Hunt neefs a rest, i have no doubt about that. He's playing tired, probably still feeling his cork and will be mentally down after another high level loss where the fingers will be pointing, looking for a scapegoat.
Neither Widdop, Graham or LAM should not even be contimplated to play.
We are on a hiding to nothing especially if we lose. Play tired and busted players and lose or play inexperienced players and lose.
I say rest our tired and busted players they need it and it will benefit us more when the whips are cracking in the later rounds and finals. It will also give our backup players experience whicg may prove invaluable come injuries as well.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I understood the Dragons sent High Performance staff to Denver with the 2 Poms? If true, i suspect it was with the intent of facilitating their game and travel recovery with the view of them being available to play V the Eels.

Gareth67

First Grade
The players will have had 4 days of recuperation to have themselves a well deserved rest . Now I can recall the years when the Saints of old would play a Test match against England ( whom really knew a thing or two about the niceties of back lane brawling ) and then back up the following day for their club match .

And in those years the teams only had 2 reserves so the players that took the field would finish the match , unless a serious injury occurred . I understand that you never send injured players into a game , never , however unless their are serious injuries I believe that most of the Dragons reps. will be playing a major part in the demolition of Parramatta this Thursday evening .

Last edited:

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
The players will have had 4 days of recuperation to have themselves a well deserved rest . Now I can recall the years when the Saints of old would play a Test match against England ( whom really knew a thing or two about the niceties of back lane brawling ) and then back up the following day for their club match .

And in those years the teams only had 2 reserves so the players that took the field would finish the match, unless a serious injury occurred . I understand that you never send injured players into a game , never , however unless their are serious injuries I believe that most of the Dragons reps. will be playing a major part in the demolition of Parramatta this Thursday evening .

Yes, Gareth, you have jogged my memory of that era. And in the days of City vs Country Firsts and Seconds we might have had as many as 10 stars play on the Saturday and then back up the next day. That was before interchange too of course so the forwards were likely to play 160 minutes in the 24 hours.

Having said that my concern is for Graham, being older, toiling hard all year and with that big travel, Frizell who became something of a wreck by the end of last season playing consistently long minutes all season at 100 miles an hour and de Belin who has been carrying his injury for about 6 weeks (admittedly very successfully except for the Souths match). I would be confident that Lawrie, Host and Sele could all step up and do a good job.

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes, Gareth, you have jogged my memory of that era. And in the days of City vs Country Firsts and Seconds we might have had as many as 10 stars play on the Saturday and then back up the next day. That was before interchange too of course so the forwards were likely to play 160 minutes in the 24 hours.

Having said that my concern is for Graham, being older, toiling hard all year and with that big travel, Frizell who became something of a wreck by the end of last season playing consistently long minutes all season at 100 miles an hour and de Belin who has been carrying his injury for about 6 weeks (admittedly very successfully except for the Souths match). I would be confident that Lawrie, Host and Sele could all step up and do a good job.

Most certainly Dragonsteve 2 , there is no doubting that Graham would be feeling the effects of the match in Denver , as would Widdop , also if the players are carrying injuries they then must be rested . Personally I have been waiting to see Niccolls as he can guide a team around the park nicely plus he can kick . I have a feeling that we will need these players at some stage so should the need for resting our rep players be required , then use the young guns . We can still overcome the Eels with an undermanned squad , this will be a most interesting contest .

Twenty10

Juniors
For mine it’s crucial Hunt Plays. He needs to get straight back and control a game. I would rest widdop, Graham, JDB and Frizz.

Possible team as follows???

Dufty
Nightingale
Aitken
Lafai
Mcdonald
Mann
Hunt
AhMau
McInnes
Latimore
Sims
Host
Sele

Bench: Vaughn, Lawrie, Allgood, Leilua

Dragonslayer

First Grade
For mine it’s crucial Hunt Plays. He needs to get straight back and control a game. I would rest widdop, Graham, JDB and Frizz.

Possible team as follows???

Dufty
Nightingale
Aitken
Lafai
Mcdonald
Mann
Hunt
AhMau
McInnes
Latimore
Sims
Host
Sele

Bench: Vaughn, Lawrie, Allgood, Leilua

Didnt LAM play for NZ in Denver? Highly doubt he will play.
McDonald wont play.
Allgood has his knee in a brace so he cant play.

Crush

Coach
Anyone see JDB on the today show this morning? Getting back to the hotel around 530am? Might need the week off to recover...
If players didn't celebrate with huge piss-ups they would be far more likely to get selected and back up.
Still, can't blame them for wanting to celebrate I guess.

Life's Good

Coach
If players didn't celebrate with huge piss-ups they would be far more likely to get selected and back up.
Still, can't blame them for wanting to celebrate I guess.

Especially the Dragons players. They’d be embarrassed to read some of the posts in this forum especially when they’re leading the comp. Let them enjoy the Blues win & get the credit from their state which goes missing in this place from their own clubs supporters.

Go Dragons(not aimed at you Crush).

Gareth67

First Grade
i have only now come to realise the importance of ensuring that the best available team takes the field on Thursday night , after looking at next weeks opponents - Storm in Melbourne . This does place Mary in a quandary , damned if he does and damned if he doesn't select the best players ( not those whom are unavailable through injury ) but his best players . No one can afford to drop a match and certainly not 2 .

Last edited:

dragonfire

Bench
do you think Lomax comes into the side one the wing should Mann move to 6 and Flo stays on the bench? Would be an excellent time to get him some playing time in first grade?

Latest posts