What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NZ v Poms in US

adamkungl

Immortal
If he is keen to spend his money on the venture then why not. But I would be playing the game at a smaller stadium.

I wonder how much of a loss he took on the game?

The paper talk is if it got 30k he's made a profit. I'd say he was pretty close to break-even.

I don't think it's unfair to blame the NRL and clubs for the shortfall either.
The organisers undoubtedly spent time and money that should have been spent on marketing on dealing with the NRLs deliberate obstructing.
They didn't have confirmed squads until far too late to organise any serious promo work.
And the NZ camp was completely absent in pre-games due to struggling to find 17 willing players, thanks largely to the Warriors.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The thing that gets me the most is that the Warriors have a huge amount to gain by the game's profile being raised in New Zealand. They are the only professional rugby league club in the country and the Kiwis help them raise the profile of the game without competing as a second club.

Let the players go to Denver and make the country proud. Success will benefit both teams. Same goes for Catalans and France, the conflict just doesn't make sense and any argument about potential injuries is short-term thinking that both club and country need to get away from if they want the game to grow.

Robert B

Juniors
John Grant said that the Promoter's profit's were always set up to be made in the 2nd and 3rd match, not the 1st match.

BLN2

Juniors
Since when did promoters run an international sport FFS? The Kiwis need to earn support in NZ before they take the sport to the States. League would be dead in NZ if it wasn't for the Warriors, which makes the NRL relevant. Outside the World cup last year, a Kiwi test every 3 years or so is wrong.

If anyone thinks the sport will advance over there because of this, they are dreaming. Only Superleague sides like the Wolfpack and the proposed New York sides will have any potential for growth of the sport. TV is also another key.

Let's get real, this was all about $$..

adamkungl

Immortal
Since when did promoters run an international sport FFS? The Kiwis need to earn support in NZ before they take the sport to the States. League would be dead in NZ if it wasn't for the Warriors, which makes the NRL relevant. Outside the World cup last year, a Kiwi test every 3 years or so is wrong.

If anyone thinks the sport will advance over there because of this, they are dreaming. Only Superleague sides like the Wolfpack and the proposed New York sides will have any potential for growth of the sport. TV is also another key.

What $$... it ran at a loss for the promoter. The NZRL made some $, which they need to play tests in NZ because they typically aren't profitable enough. The ARL was paying your players for the last few years ffs.

The NZRL definitely DO need to play more tests in NZ, the last 4 years has been appalling and the WC crowds reflected it. But it's not a one or the other case vs the US - both can and should happen.

Pommy

Coach

So do you think there are more league fans in the USA than there’s was on Friday?
If that’s a yes then the sport advanced, it might not be as much as you would like but it’s certainly not a bad thing.

adamkungl

Immortal
So do you think there are more league fans in the USA than there’s was on Friday?
If that’s a yes then the sport advanced, it might not be as much as you would like but it’s certainly not a bad thing.

I really don't understand the claim that playing top games in an area with basically zero current fans (and thus a lot of room for growth) is less valuable than playing in the heartlands that have had 100 years to grow fans (and pretty much plateaued).

Pommy

Coach
I really don't understand the claim that playing top games in an area with basically zero current fans (and thus a lot of room for growth) is less valuable than playing in the heartlands that have had 100 years to grow fans (and pretty much plateaued).

I can see that NZ need to have a push to playing in NZ more but that doesn't mean anything else is a waste of time.
Isn't there a game with the Kangaroos being talked about in Auckland prior to them flying to England?

adamkungl

Immortal
I can see that NZ need to have a push to playing in NZ more but that doesn't mean anything else is a waste of time.
Isn't there a game with the Kangaroos being talked about in Auckland prior to them flying to England?

Yeah. Apparently Oct 13 in NZ.
The final NZ game in England is on Nov 11. There's no reason (aside from low effort) they couldn't play another game in NZ (Tonga???) around Nov 25.

Bookending overseas tours with games at home is necessary but too often ignored by NZ.

Pommy

Coach
Yeah. Apparently Oct 13 in NZ.
The final NZ game in England is on Nov 11. There's no reason (aside from low effort) they couldn't play another game in NZ (Tonga???) around Nov 25.

Bookending overseas tours with games at home is necessary but too often ignored by NZ.

The RLPA would never stand for that. Aus, England x3, France, Tonga just think of the players welfare for gods sake.

Matua

Bench
So you don’t see any conflict of interest when one of the coaches has another job with the refs, that’s fine.
But i don’t, I just want neutral refs.
I didn't say there was no conflict of interest, you claimed initially it was more of a conflict of interest - that's plainly not so, he's a consultant to the NRL refs body, but we were stuck with a ref from one of the two participating countries on Sunday. Is that Aussie ref still reffing in the English league? Even he would have been better than an English ref.

Pommy

Coach
I didn't say there was no conflict of interest, you claimed initially it was more of a conflict of interest - that's plainly not so, he's a consultant to the NRL refs body, but we were stuck with a ref from one of the two participating countries on Sunday. Is that Aussie ref still reffing in the English league? Even he would have been better than an English ref.

*in your opinion.

deluded pom?

Coach
That Aussie ref has been reffing the the NRL for quite a few years now.

Pommy

Coach
Tapau is still stuck in Denver apparently. An electrical storm cancelled the first flight then a mechanical issue has left him the last man stranded after they were put on different flights.