What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs Melbourne

Frank Facer

First Grade
We will be without DeBelin, Frizell and Vaughan and Hunt if all of the origin players get picked for NSW and Qld respectively. Melbourne will be without Slater, Chambers, Kaufusi, Munster and Addo Carr if they all get picked for Qld and NSW respectively. Melbourne will also be without Jesse Bromwich and Kasiano due to injuries. I think we are getting them at a good time. Without our origin players, I would pick

1 Dufty
2 Mann
3 Aitken
4 Lafai
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Nicholls
13 Lawrie
12 Sims
11 Host
10 Graham
9 McInnes
8 Ah Mau

14 Nightingale
15 Lucky
16 Latimore
17 Sele

I think that looks like a decent team, without our 4 origin players.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
We will be without DeBelin, Frizell and Vaughan and Hunt if all of the origin players get picked for NSW and Qld respectively. Melbourne will be without Slater, Chambers, Kaufusi, Munster and Addo Carr if they all get picked for Qld and NSW respectively. Melbourne will also be without Jesse Bromwich and Kasiano due to injuries. I think we are getting them at a good time. Without our origin players, I would pick

1 Dufty
2 Mann
3 Aitken
4 Lafai
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Nicholls
13 Lawrie
12 Sims
11 Host
10 Graham
9 McInnes
8 Ah Mau

14 Nightingale
15 Lucky
16 Latimore
17 Sele

I have a feeling Frank that widdop and mann will be the halves ....we shall
See but I'd like to see Nicholls he has a good kicking game .....

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Nicholls seems the better option. True half, less disruption to structure...

Nicholls hasn't been a part of the team's "structures", let alone played a single first grade game yet (at 29 years-old!).

McGregor won't take the risk.

No, Mann and Widdop will be the halves. Nightingale will slip back in on the right wing. Melbourne will try to exploit that side all night.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

1 Dufty
2 Mann
3 Aitken
4 Lafai
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Nicholls
13 Lawrie
12 Sims
11 Host
10 Graham
9 McInnes
8 Ah Mau

14 Nightingale
15 Lucky
16 Latimore
17 Sele

Agreed it's a decent side, however McGregor had repeatedly shown he does not take gambles.

Mann and Widdop will be the halves.

Nightingale will be on the right wing.

Unsure whether Lawrie will start at lock (alternatives don't easily come to mind).

I doubt Sele will play. For an unknown reason, he's on the nose.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Agreed it's a decent side, however McGregor had repeatedly shown he does not take gambles.

Unsure whether Lawrie will start at lock (alternatives don't easily come to mind).

Mary may very well go with Widdop and Mann as the halves and Nightingale on the wing. He may also think that he wants a genuine halfback to steer the team around the paddock and pick Nicholls at halfback? He may think that it would be less disruption to the side, by leaving Mann on the wing and Nightingale on the bench?

Really looking forward to this game. If there is a team I hate in the league its Melbourne Storm.

This is a game we should win.

No Slater, Addo Carr, Chambers, and Munster means Melbourne's backline will lack its usual scoring potency.

In contrast barring Hunt, our backline will be stable and cohesive. Nicholls may get a game at 7, though I wouldn't be shocked if Widdop played 7 and Mann 6, with Flo moved from bench to the wing.

Have a feeling Dufty will carve them up off a Leilua pass.

Leilua is a big kid, his attitude has improved. His work rate is up and he shows urgency when there is a loose ball on the ground. Silky hands. Starting to run much harder.

Sir James,Tariq Sims & Latimore will drive our young forwards.

LAM will be fresh and ready to go.

Host, Lawrie, Sele and Leilua are all worthy of a bench spot and will be super keen to press their claims for a top 17 spot.

If With Bromwich and Kasiano don't play Melbourne's forwards will struggle..

Saints by 8 !

saintm

Juniors
Really looking forward to this game. If there is a team I hate in the league its Melbourne Storm.

This is a game we should win.

No Slater, Addo Carr, Chambers, and Munster means Melbourne's backline will lack its usual scoring potency.

In contrast barring Hunt, our backline will be stable and cohesive. Nicholls may get a game at 7, though I wouldn't be shocked if Widdop played 7 and Mann 6, with Flo moved from bench to the wing.

Have a feeling Dufty will carve them up off a Leilua pass.

Leilua is a big kid, his attitude has improved. His work rate is up and he shows urgency when there is a loose ball on the ground. Silky hands. Starting to run much harder.

Sir James,Tariq Sims & Latimore will drive our young forwards.

LAM will be fresh and ready to go.

Host, Lawrie, Sele and Leilua are all worthy of a bench spot and will be super keen to press their claims for a top 17 spot.

If With Bromwich and Kasiano don't play Melbourne's forwards will struggle..

Saints by 8 !
Luc is a great player and has had a good combo with Dufty going back to Harold Matt’s love watching them play together!

JDHD

Juniors

The reason is that, frankly, he’s not first grade standard. He’s got no leg drive, he doesn’t go looking for work in defence or attack, he’s smaller than most players (but that’s no excuse, look at Victor Radley at the chooks) and he struggles to make an impact in reserve grade. Lawrie may be a bit of a potato but at least you notice him when he runs.

JDHD

Juniors
Nicholls hasn't been a part of the team's "structures", let alone played a single first grade game yet (at 29 years-old!).

McGregor won't take the risk.

No, Mann and Widdop will be the halves. Nightingale will slip back in on the right wing. Melbourne will try to exploit that side all night.

Nicholls will play. We signed him specifically to cover for Hunt provided his form was good in ISP and he’s been our best reggies player.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Mary may very well go with Widdop and Mann as the halves and Nightingale on the wing. He may also think that he wants a genuine halfback to steer the team around the paddock and pick Nicholls at halfback? He may think that it would be less disruption to the side, by leaving Mann on the wing and Nightingale on the bench?
I hope your right Frank I saw nicholls play recently he was quite ok ............not much of a running game but clever kicking game .....with widdop and dufty in the team he doesn't need to run .....

SBD82

Coach
Given the series is won, it wouldnt suprise me if Sims played in the dead rubber. Just for the experience and and eye on next year.
I'd love for him to get a game, he's been so close for so long. But barring injury I can't see who they would drop for him.

Latest posts