What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sims named for blues

SBD82

Coach
Tariq named for blues ,will miss storm game , but good on him.
Wil be tough to beat storm.
Congrats to Tariq. He has shown a great attitude throughout his time with us, and this is a deserved reward.

Hopefully Luc and Host can stand up while our rep stars are away. A win in Melbourne while we are without so many key players would be a massive achievement.

getsmarty

Immortal
simst-180528-gp-03.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Sims named for NSW Origin debut
Author
NSWRL
Timestamp
Mon 2 Jul 2018, 09:39 AM

The NSWRL has today announced the Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues team to take on the Queensland Maroons on Wednesday, 11 July.

There is one change to the line-up which took out the series in Game Two, with Paul Vaughan replacing Matt Prior in the starting front row and Tariq Sims earning his State of Origin debut on the bench. Ryan James has been named as 18th man, with both Prior and Luke Keary to join camp as development players.

The Brydens Lawyers NSW Blues squad for Origin III, 2018 is as follows:
1. James Tedesco (Sydney Roosters)
2. Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
3. Latrell Mitchell (Sydney Roosters)
4. James Roberts (Brisbane Broncos)
5. Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm)
6. James Maloney (Penrith Panthers)
7. Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers)
8. David Klemmer (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
9. Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
10. Paul Vaughan (St George Illawarra Dragons)
11. Boyd Cordner (c) (Sydney Roosters)
12. Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)
13. Jack de Belin (St George Illawarra Dragons)
14. Tariq Sims (St George Illawarra Dragons)
15. Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
16. Angus Crichton (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
17. Tyrone Peachey (Penrith Panthers)
18. Ryan James (Gold Coast Titans)

Shadow players:

• Luke Keary (Sydney Roosters)
• Matt Prior (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)

Coach: Brad Fittler

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/02/sims-named-for-nsw-origin-debut/

hewi

Bench
Well deserved, sh#t or get off the pot time for Host, Sele ,Laurie and possibly Kerr. Lift boys lift.

Gomarchin

Juniors
Great - this means we'll probably have a few more missing for the tigers game.

I hate origin.

Dragsters

First Grade
Well done fittler for choosing to blood Tariq. Smart move.

Congrats to Sims for a well earned NSW debut. It's been a while coming after the injury setbacks but I reckon he is in the form of his career right now so perhaps the timing is right...

2010Dragons

Bench
Congratulations Tariq !!!

Now that Ben Hunt is playing from the bench as a utility, I say, take Tariq of his leash and watch him bash and smash DCE
Watch out DCE.... Tariq is going to bash and smash you.

getsmarty

Immortal
simst-180528-gp-03.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Long-awaited Sims Origin debut arrives
Author
Dan Walsh
Timestamp
Mon 2 Jul 2018, 11:57 AM

Tariq Sims has been handed a NSW Origin debut that has been seven years in the making as the Blues prepare to sweat on Boyd Cordner's calf injury for the next week.

Sims is the only change to Brad Fittler's victorious game two side, coming onto the bench in place of Cronulla's Matt Prior for next Wednesday's dead rubber at Suncorp Stadium.

Dragons teammate Paul Vaughan has been elevated to the starting side with Ryan James named as 18th man and Roosters five-eighth Luke Keary the other shadow player.

Sims had filled the same 18th man duties for games one and two having first pushed for Blues selection in 2012, only for him to break the same leg on two separate occasions. Those setbacks de-railed his Origin dream and threatened his career.

The 28-year-old was told to expect good news after turning out for St George Illawarra last week but only had his debut confirmed on Monday morning.

"To hear my name getting read out in the bench spot was pretty surreal, so very, very happy, actually can't wait to tell my family that I'm 100 percent playing now," Sims said.

"I'm someone that likes to play with a lot of pride and passion and wear my heart on my sleeve.

"One of the hardest things is to get yourself physically and mentally ready for a game and then to warm up and then get told to hit the showers and get changed and sit back and watch the boys where you sort of just want to be out there and helping them.

"I've loved my time helping the boys prepare and I'm lucky enough to get a crack now."

Meanwhile, Cordner will be given up until game day next week to prove his fitness, with the tough back-rower gunning to become just the first man to skipper a 3-0 Blues whitewash since Fittler did so 18 years ago.

More will be known about Cordner's injury when the Blues complete a medical on Monday afternoon after going into camp in Coogee.

Should Cordner be ruled out, Sims would shift to his left-edge role with James coming into the side as a middle forward, however, the NSW captain is confident of taking his place against Queensland.

Cordner sat out the Roosters' recent loss to Melbourne having suffered a heavy concussion in the dying stages of Origin II, and revealed that the same calf injury had troubled him leading into the Blues last-start win.

"Early on in the game I felt it wasn't 100 per cent but it was good enough to get through the game with adrenaline and everything," Cordner said.

"I've had a bit of time now since then, obviously I wouldn't have the played the (Roosters round 16) game in Adelaide from the head knock anyway.

"It was a good chance to rest it up and get it treated on and it feels really good. I'll probably be sweet to do most of training throughout the week.

"I don't think our first big session is until Thursday, so there's still a lot of time. It feels good, I think I'll be right."

NSW Blues squad

1. James Tedesco (Sydney Roosters)
2. Tom Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
3. Latrell Mitchell (Sydney Roosters)
4. James Roberts (Brisbane Broncos)
5. Josh Addo-Carr (Melbourne Storm)
6. James Maloney (Penrith Panthers)
7. Nathan Cleary (Penrith Panthers)
8. David Klemmer (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs)
9. Damien Cook (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
10. Paul Vaughan (St George Illawarra Dragons)
11. Boyd Cordner (c) (Sydney Roosters)
12. Tyson Frizell (St George Illawarra Dragons)
13. Jack de Belin (St George Illawarra Dragons)

Interchange:
14. Tariq Sims (St George Illawarra Dragons)
15. Jake Trbojevic (Manly Warringah Sea Eagles)
16. Angus Crichton (South Sydney Rabbitohs)
17. Tyrone Peachey (Penrith Panthers)
18. Ryan James (Gold Coast Titans)

Shadow players:
Luke Keary (Sydney Roosters)
Matt Prior (Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks)

Coach: Brad Fittler

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/02/long-awaited-sims-origin-debut-arrives/

BennyV

Referee
With NSW winning the series, I was wondering what could get me excited about the dead rubber.

Then QLD picked their team and it became clear. The thought of Sims smashing DCE for 80 mins is something to get excited about...REAL excited about.
Tariq is starting form the bench. So wont be playing 80 minutes. Just saying...

Latest posts