What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sims named for blues

slippery5

Juniors
Well done fittler for choosing to blood Tariq. Smart move.

Congrats to Sims for a well earned NSW debut. It's been a while coming after the injury setbacks but I reckon he is in the form of his career right now so perhaps the timing is right...
Yes this is the difference in a coach who is willing to blood some youth when he knows the series/game is won., not just in the last 5 mins. or letting them get splinters on the bench.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Congrats to Tariq. He has shown a great attitude throughout his time with us, and this is a deserved reward.

Hopefully Luc and Host can stand up while our rep stars are away. A win in Melbourne while we are without so many key players would be a massive achievement.

..... by crikey by jingo, l think we can do it.
I have a good feeling about this game.

Gareth67

First Grade
I was only just watching a highlight video of Tarique Simms on the channel 9 news app. On the iPad . Some tremendous hits by the man and all round damaging running , but what caught my eye was the very end of the clip when he gave a young Dragon fan his boot .

The look of absolute joy and happiness on the girls face was so wonderful to see , you thought she had just won the biggest lottery in the world as she turned to her parents to show them this boot that will undoubtedly take pride of place in her bedroom for years to come .

ouryears

Bench
Ha
Dam you SOO !!! Dam you Fitler !!!

You have taken all our best players !!!

Just another exhibition game and now a dead rubber game.
Hang on, how many players have storm also lost?
6 in total.

Smith, Munster, Slater, Ado Carr, Glasby, plus.......
Seems fair to me

Don’t fall into the trap of excusing poor performances in advance

Crush, Alsgi and many others are pros at it.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Ha

6 in total.

Seems fair to me

Dude, sometimes I wonder if you are the full quid.
Smith? He has retired from origin.
Didn't notice his absence in games one and two?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Melbourne will be without Chambers, Slater, Addo Carr, Munster, Kaufusi and Glasby. They will also be without Jesse Bromwich and Kassiano. That makes 8 players Melbourne will be without.

We will be without Hunt, Simms, DeBelin, Vaughan and Frizell. That makes 5 players we will be without.

2010Dragons

Bench
Ha

6 in total.

Seems fair to me

I didn’t say we were going to have a poor performance. I think we will beat the storm.
I said I hate SOO, its a bullshit exhibition game for the masses corporate dollar not the true purists footy fans who only want their team to win the comp and nothing else.

Gareth67

First Grade
Melbourne will be without Chambers, Slater, Addo Carr, Munster, Kaufusi and Glasby. They will also be without Jesse Bromwich and Kassiano. That makes 8 players Melbourne will be without.

We will be without Hunt, Simms, DeBelin, Vaughan and Frizell. That makes 5 players we will be without.

Your right Frank , but we can rest assured that Bellamy and ' ref' Smith will have their players psyched up for this game . I truly hope that Mary can do the same with our boys so as they do not walk into an ambush at AAMI park .

getsmarty

Immortal
Tariq Sims selected to make NSW State of Origin debut
Dragons Den News
r0_115_5184_3099_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Origin ready: Dragons forward Tariq Sims. Picture: Robert Peet

From the moment he burst onto the NRL scene as a fresh-faced 21-year-old, it was clear Tariq Sims would one day play State of Origin.

But seven years later, a brutal run of injuries, including two broken legs, and a number of unlucky breaks looked set to not only derail Sims’ Origin ambitions, but his career as a whole.

Now, after an outstanding season for the St George Illawarra Dragons, Sim has been named to make his debut for the Blues in next Wednesday’s Origin clash.

“To hear my name get read out in the bench spot was pretty surreal,” Sims said. “I’m so very happy, I actually can’t wait to tell my family that I’m 100% playing now, so I’m very excited.

“I’ve loved my time helping the boys prepare for the first two games and I’m lucky enough to get a crack now.”

After serving as 18th man for both Origin I and Origin II, Sims is well-versed in the pressure that comes with an Origin preparation. And it’s this experience that he believes will ensure he isn’t overawed by the occasion at Suncorp Stadium.

“It’s one of those things where I think I know what’s expected during the week and the training load and the drain that it does take on you. Some days can drag on a little bit longer than others, but you need to make sure you’re giving it 110% because you only get one shot at it.

“I’ve got a fair idea of what I need to do and what I need to bring to the team. I’ve been playing in that sort of role the last two camps, so I know what he [Brad Fittler] expects and I know what’s needed to come out and do my job.”

Sims entered the season locked in a battle with youngster Luciano Leilua for the Dragons vacant backrow position. He won that contest and hasn’t looked back.

The 28-year-old from Gerringong has led the side with his physicality in defence, while his combination with halfback Ben Hunt has made the Dragons left edge one of the most potent attacking corridors in the competition.

To Dragons hooker Cameron McInnes, Sims’ playing style is perfectly suited to the physical nature of Origin.

“He was quite unlucky not to be there from game one,” McInnes said.

“But he kept playing well for the club and he’s getting his opportunity in game three. I think he’ll go out and play really well and be able to keep his spot for the long run. He’s probably been, week to week, our most consistent all year, and it’s a great reward for him.

“He’s very tough, you can see that he runs the ball hard and he’s quite aggressive in defence, that works for footy of any level. I can see him playing really strongly on the following Wednesday night and I don’t think anyone in the competition deserves it more than him.”

The jubilation for Sims comes as Hunt was demoted to the bench for Queensland. Heavily criticised after the game two defeat, Hunt has lost the halfback position to Daly Cherry-Evans.

For McInnes, it’s a decision that doesn’t make a lot of sense.

“He’s a great player and I don’t really care what Queensland do, but I don’t agree with putting him on the bench. That’s something that’s up to them, what they want to do, but I think in game one he was their best player.

“Footy is an 80 minute game and you have one or two plays you probably want to take back, but I don’t think he deserves to be dropped to the bench for that.”

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/5501540/sims-selected-to-make-blues-debut/?cs=3713

BennyV

Referee
Ha

6 in total.

Seems fair to me

Lol fail.

Smith is playing. However, Storm will also be missing Bromwich and Kasiano, and possibly Finucane and Asofa-Solomona. That's their entire prop rotation gone, 2/3 of their starting back row, half their starting spine and a winger, while we are missing out halfback, our starting backrow and a prop. Based on those numbers alone we should win but no game is a guarantee as long as Cam Smith is playing.

IF both teams are at full strength I reckon we lose mainly due to being played in Melbourne. However with the mess of rep duties and players needing to step up, there is a level of uncertainty that works in our favour.

getsmarty

Immortal
_1nh4644e.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Sims considered throwing in the towel
Author
Dan Walsh
Timestamp
Mon 2 Jul 2018, 08:01 PM

"I thought this is it, I should change jobs."

Tariq Sims once figured back-to-back broken legs had got the better of him, and that he'd be better served in a gig where you don't "get paid to run into other people".

So fair play when he figures his emotions may get the better of him at some point leading into a long-awaited, much-cherished NSW Origin debut next Wednesday night at Suncorp Stadium.

At times, the Gerringong junior seemed destined to wear sky blue.

In 2011 he was a Dally M finalist in both the Back-Rower and Rookie of the Year awards, despite having his debut Cowboys season cut short by a left leg broken in two places against Cronulla.

Nine months later he was called into the Blues set-up by Ricky Stuart, as cover for skipper Paul Gallen as he battled a knee issue.

Within the hour Sims couldn't have been further from the game's highest level.

The same two bones had snapped again. In the exact same place.

A collision with Penrith's Cameron Ciraldo, and the ensuing nine months of rehabilitation and recovery left Sims wondering whether he'd even get back on a footy field, let alone back into Origin calculations.

Fittler chasing a Blues whitewash

"I was only 21 when I first broke my leg," Sims told reporters, minutes after finally hearing Brad Fittler read out his name on the NSW team sheet.

"And you can imagine how mentally immature I would've been towards a job where you get paid to run into other people.

"And people don't attack your legs but you get tackled around your legs every run. Just coming back from that, it was tough. But to do it a second time, I was in a really bad way.

"But I had a lot of good family and friends that were around to support me and help me focus on what I really loved to do and that was play footy.

"It has been an emotional journey. There's been a few days, years ago when I thought this is it, I should change jobs.

"There was other options that I had and I was investigating because I didn't know how I would come back from that second (broken leg).

"But a lot of things have fallen in my favour with a lot of hard work and dedication that's gone into it. I'm very proud of myself and my loved ones."

Sims has been through the wringer in more ways than one throughout his career.

He's now landed back at the Dragons, over a decade since he first departed for Brisbane, then Townsville and an unhappy stint in Newcastle.

While Sims' physicality has always been his hallmark, at times with the Cowboys he was spending more time off the paddock than on it through suspension.

These days, there is no better man who targets an opposition halfback in the NRL.

simst-18030888.jpg

Dragons back-rower Tariq Sims. :copyright:NRL Photos
The build up to the breakthrough series win for the Blues was something else for Sims.

As 18th man for games one and two, he was front and centre in the NSW inner sanctum.

Right until it matters most.

"I warmed up down in Melbourne, we just warmed up inside," said.

"It was weird, you get ready for a physical game and then you get the tap on the shoulder to go have a shower.

"I sat over there in those seats (during game two at ANZ Stadium) and I put my head on the rail - you're excited, but you want to channel your energy for the boys.

"It's just one of those things, you've just got to ride the wave."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/03/sims-considered-throwing-in-the-towel/

ALSGI

Bench
Origin is the perfect arena for Sims.
I’m tipping him to have a big one and to be first forward picked next year.
Glad Hunt’s on the bench and DCE is on his radar as a self confessed halves hunter.

getsmarty

Immortal
sims_20180704.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Sims creating history in footsteps of sister
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 4 Jul 2018, 04:01 PM

NSW forward Tariq Sims has declared his pride at becoming the first State of Origin player to follow in the footsteps of his sister.

While there have been 14 sets of siblings to have played Origin, Tariq and Ruan Sims are the first brother and sister to appear in the interstate arena after the St George Illawarra second rower's call-up for the Blues in next Wednesday's series finale at Suncorp Stadium.

Sims and his younger brother Korbin have previously been involved in Origin camps with NSW and Queensland but Ruan is the only member of the rugby league family, which includes brother Ashton and sister CJ, to have played in the interstate arena.

"Ruan has cut a pretty hard path for us to follow and she casts a pretty big shadow," Sims told NRL.com. "My bigger sister is definitely a huge influence and someone I try to aspire to be like.

"I will always look up to her because she has done so much and achieved so much in her sporting career. It's not just footy, because she has represented NSW and Australia in so many areas it is ridiculous."

Ruan is the Blues and Jillaroos captain but missed the recent Women's Holden State of Origin match after breaking her wrist playing for NSW Country at last month's Harvey Norman National Championship.

_1nh4713e.jpg

NSW forward Tariq Sims. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
She was also left sporting a black eye after a match against Queensland City and there are suggestions CJ was responsible for the damage.

"That's unconfirmed but there is a bit of sibling rivalry there," Tariq said.

However, he had no hesitation confirming which of the five siblings hits the hardest in defence.

"I would definitely say Ruan, you have just got to look at her highlights reel or type in her name [to a search engine]. She is someone I'd hate to get on the bad side of," he said.

After only learning of his selection for Origin III when introduced on stage as No.14 when the Blues team was announced at a function on Monday, Sims had wanted to call his family but the NSW players were under a mobile phone ban except for 15 minutes after they got to their Coogee hotel.

When he finally turned his phone on, Sims was inundated with messages of congratulations and he saw Ruan during the filming of Channel Nine's 100% Footy show, which she co-hosts, on Monday night.

"I had a little monitor there and I could see her talking about me and see her swelling with pride," Sims said. "That really hit home and I had to duck off to the side."

He also spoke on the phone to wife, Ashleigh, father Peter and brother Ashton, who now plays for the Toronto Wolfpack and whom he has previously played alongside for North Queensland and Fiji, along with Korbin.

"Ashton is very excited. He was at the Cowboys when I broke my leg both times and he has seen what I have had to go through to get my career back on track, just to play NRL," Sims said. "To finally be so close to playing an Origin game is unbelievable. My whole family is ecstatic."

simsr-simst-170304pb2981.jpg

Ruan and Tariq Sims. :copyright:Paul Barkley/NRL Photos
Dragons coach Paul McGregor said Sims deserved his Origin selection after starting the season in a battle with Luciano Leilua for the left second-row position made vacant by Joel Thompson's departure to Manly.

"He actually came to me when Joel left and said I really want that opportunity, and I said let's go about earning it," McGregor said. "I thought he had a magnificent pre-season, he is a big body and the work he does around having that big body gets to what you see on the weekend.

"His trial form wasn't the best but once it came to round one he has been the most consistent forward in our club so to get the reward, it is a good story.

"He has had his setbacks along the way as well and some people would have fallen away from the game but he fell towards it and he is doing a magnificent job for us, and I am sure he will do the same for NSW against Queensland.

"He has earned that jumper through his performance during the year and I think he is getting better as the year has gone on."

stat-attack_siblings_20180704.jpg

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/05/sims-creating-history-in-footsteps-of-sister/

Drag Queen

Bench
sims_20180704.jpg

STATE OF ORIGIN

Sims creating history in footsteps of sister
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 4 Jul 2018, 04:01 PM

NSW forward Tariq Sims has declared his pride at becoming the first State of Origin player to follow in the footsteps of his sister.

While there have been 14 sets of siblings to have played Origin, Tariq and Ruan Sims are the first brother and sister to appear in the interstate arena after the St George Illawarra second rower's call-up for the Blues in next Wednesday's series finale at Suncorp Stadium.

Sims and his younger brother Korbin have previously been involved in Origin camps with NSW and Queensland but Ruan is the only member of the rugby league family, which includes brother Ashton and sister CJ, to have played in the interstate arena.

"Ruan has cut a pretty hard path for us to follow and she casts a pretty big shadow," Sims told NRL.com. "My bigger sister is definitely a huge influence and someone I try to aspire to be like.

"I will always look up to her because she has done so much and achieved so much in her sporting career. It's not just footy, because she has represented NSW and Australia in so many areas it is ridiculous."

Ruan is the Blues and Jillaroos captain but missed the recent Women's Holden State of Origin match after breaking her wrist playing for NSW Country at last month's Harvey Norman National Championship.

_1nh4713e.jpg

NSW forward Tariq Sims. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
She was also left sporting a black eye after a match against Queensland City and there are suggestions CJ was responsible for the damage.

"That's unconfirmed but there is a bit of sibling rivalry there," Tariq said.

However, he had no hesitation confirming which of the five siblings hits the hardest in defence.

"I would definitely say Ruan, you have just got to look at her highlights reel or type in her name [to a search engine]. She is someone I'd hate to get on the bad side of," he said.

After only learning of his selection for Origin III when introduced on stage as No.14 when the Blues team was announced at a function on Monday, Sims had wanted to call his family but the NSW players were under a mobile phone ban except for 15 minutes after they got to their Coogee hotel.

When he finally turned his phone on, Sims was inundated with messages of congratulations and he saw Ruan during the filming of Channel Nine's 100% Footy show, which she co-hosts, on Monday night.

"I had a little monitor there and I could see her talking about me and see her swelling with pride," Sims said. "That really hit home and I had to duck off to the side."

He also spoke on the phone to wife, Ashleigh, father Peter and brother Ashton, who now plays for the Toronto Wolfpack and whom he has previously played alongside for North Queensland and Fiji, along with Korbin.

"Ashton is very excited. He was at the Cowboys when I broke my leg both times and he has seen what I have had to go through to get my career back on track, just to play NRL," Sims said. "To finally be so close to playing an Origin game is unbelievable. My whole family is ecstatic."

simsr-simst-170304pb2981.jpg

Ruan and Tariq Sims. :copyright:Paul Barkley/NRL Photos
Dragons coach Paul McGregor said Sims deserved his Origin selection after starting the season in a battle with Luciano Leilua for the left second-row position made vacant by Joel Thompson's departure to Manly.

"He actually came to me when Joel left and said I really want that opportunity, and I said let's go about earning it," McGregor said. "I thought he had a magnificent pre-season, he is a big body and the work he does around having that big body gets to what you see on the weekend.

"His trial form wasn't the best but once it came to round one he has been the most consistent forward in our club so to get the reward, it is a good story.

"He has had his setbacks along the way as well and some people would have fallen away from the game but he fell towards it and he is doing a magnificent job for us, and I am sure he will do the same for NSW against Queensland.

"He has earned that jumper through his performance during the year and I think he is getting better as the year has gone on."

stat-attack_siblings_20180704.jpg

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/05/sims-creating-history-in-footsteps-of-sister/
What an inspirational family these Sims are. I can't wait to see him action:)

Latest posts