What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ponga Appreciation Thread.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Random thought but image that the Cowboys and the Knights swapped and we were the ones to let Ponga go to the Cowboys. The Wests building would be burnt down already. I can't imagine how the Cowboys feel. We've let go of some star youngsters before (Inglis comes to mind) but I can't remember a big of a f**k up as letting Ponga go. Is letting Ponga go, the worst call a club has made in the past 30 years in the NRL?
Letting Ponga go is the worst call a club has made since Canterbury let Thurston go. If it was Saints who let Ponga go, our forum would be having a meltdown. They had a meltdown when we let Bird go and he was playing very well for Cronulla.

I don't recall Inglis ever playing lower grades for Newy, but maybe he did?

First Grade
Letting Ponga go is the worst call a club has made since Canterbury let Thurston go. If it was Saints who let Ponga go, our forum would be having a meltdown. They had a meltdown when we let Bird go and he was playing very well for Cronulla.

I don't recall Inglis ever playing lower grades for Newy, but maybe he did?
He played in the Arrive Alive Cup for Hunter Sports High (formerly Gateshead High) the Arrive alive cup that he played in whilst 16 years old is what determines he in fact should of played for NSW as it was his first senior game.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Any thoughts on who will replace ponga at fb? Do you think it will be Watson? A part of me hopes Watson will stay at 6 to allow for him and Pearce to develop a partnership going into 2019

I'd keep Watson at 5/8 and Meaney to make his debut at FB . No point in weakening one position to strengthen another. The season is gone now anyway and more Pearce and Watson play together the better.

mozza91

Coach
Good to see him get deserved accolades but let’s just wait and let it happen.
I think it already has. He’s one of the most influential players in the competition and was excellent playing Origin out of position. The bloke is a freak.

Noname36

First Grade
I think it bodes well for us the he’s starting a degree at UoN. Seems he feels settled here and sees himself in Newcastle for a long stint (especially as FG players need to take an eternity to finish their degrees).

Pedge1971

First Grade
I think it bodes well for us the he’s starting a degree at UoN. Seems he feels settled here and sees himself in Newcastle for a long stint (especially as FG players need to take an eternity to finish their degrees).

Would be trying to lock the kid up now. Still think we have plenty to offer. All the BS about not being able to attract players from Sydney. Storm have managed to recruit some gem fwds from NZ and the pacific and other teams from the UK cheap.

Only need 1 or 2 to work to be a force and one of our local kids will come on surely says the law of averages?

Have seen enough this year to believe we are in the rise albeit need to keep building...

Just need to convince Kalyn. He will make it happen just needs the support cast of tight knit blokes around him like Joey had..

Noname36

First Grade
Would be trying to lock the kid up now. Still think we have plenty to offer. All the BS about not being able to attract players from Sydney. Storm have managed to recruit some gem fwds from NZ and the pacific and other teams from the UK cheap.

Only need 1 or 2 to work to be a force and one of our local kids will come on surely says the law of averages?

Have seen enough this year to believe we are in the rise albeit need to keep building...

Just need to convince Kalyn. He will make it happen just needs the support cast of tight knit blokes around him like Joey had..

In all fairness, Melbourne being another capital city has more appeal to young blokes than Newcastle but it really depends on what they’re into.

To be honest I think it’s almost a good thing that Ponga hasn’t walked into a side that’s set, old and competing for a premiership. It gives him something still to work towards. I mean it’s his first year in FG and he’s already played Origin FFS. The kid has “I’ve achieved all I can in the game” / Union or AFL convert written all over him so you want him to stay hungry.