What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan

So SuperCoach is the 2nd longest serving coach in the NRL at the moment behind only Craig Bellamy.

Shane’s contract was extending weeks before the GF victory until the end of 2019.

2017 wasn’t fantastic and if things go a little different vs the cowboys last year possibly we make the GF again.

2018 has been one of missed opportunities IMO and it remains to be seen how we end up this year.

The question is at some point soon the club will have to make a decision.

Personally I think he will be extended for 3 years until 2022.

What do you think?

Eion

First Grade
Nothing lasts forever but he just seems to fit perfectly atm. Not the flashiest bloke, but has made very astute purchases and has got the best out of a number of blokes.

Id be looking to extend another 3 at this rate.

shaggs

Coach
If you are happy with bottom of the 8, then Re-sign him.
Yes he got the premiership win and that won’t ever be forgotten.

Unless he starts to adapt and be more fluid with the style of game to suit the changing rules the potential to be left behind the pack is high.

Unless he starts to adapt and be more fluid with the style of game to suit the changing rules the potential to be left behind the pack is high.

The question is if he is not extended who takes his place?

sandshark

Bench
He'll get another 3.
A lot of good talent has been developed under his leadership for us and the poachers.
We've had some good recruitment signings under him too.

I hope the board waits until this season is finished though. Judge him on how we finish this year.

Honestly dont understand your POV on this.
I think the tough years has made a formidable coach . No existing coach has had to get there the way he did. For mine he looks like a guy a finds deficiencies & hires accordingly. Players , coaches , trainers. We are so far in front of 90% of the teams in this comp.
when push comes to shove in the finals & the refs throw down their whistle, look out.
& If we had barba last year, we go back to back. THE BIGGEST MISTAKE EVA!!!!

Eion

First Grade

So Mary and Griffin are better coaches? Flanno has delivered the biggest prize and has proven he has the chops. Who on earth (excluding Bellamy) would you swap him for? Granted the souffs bloke is going well, but he’s been there 5 minutes.

Ads

First Grade
I'd see whats out there, if theres nothing better than offer him a contract. He's been here a long time. Shit gets stale unless you're a freak like Bellamy/Bennett.

snout

First Grade
I think the tough years has made a formidable coach . No existing coach has had to get there the way he did. For mine he looks like a guy a finds deficiencies & hires accordingly. Players , coaches , trainers. We are so far in front of 90% of the teams in this comp.
when push comes to shove in the finals & the refs throw down their whistle, look out.
We dont go b2b because maloneys sook derailed every game.

Flanno isn't the smartest or most forward thinker but his philosophy is tough teams win the NRL.
I always say it. Come semi finals ask the other 7 - whos the the team you dint want to play at full strength.
Us.

Flanno has made us tough.
We used to be the whipping boys once.

shaggs

Coach
If we are so far in front of 90% of teams why do we lose to the broncos? Why do we just beat a warriors team off a forward pass?
If we had barba we win last year. Maybe maybe not. Isn’t it Shane’s job to have his squad and adapt to a style that suits it.
Shouldn’t he adjust for rule changes and manage his bench according to the game flow?

So Mary and Griffin are better coaches? Flanno has delivered the biggest prize and has proven he has the chops. Who on earth (excluding Bellamy) would you swap him for? Granted the souffs bloke is going well, but he’s been there 5 minutes.
God no.
Dragons will go nowhere whilst Mary and hunt are there.
Griffin is the face of the panthers but he isn’t the coach. Much like mal wasn’t the Queensland coach.

Dont get me wrong this team isn’t far off and I think can go a long way again, however, if they fail it will be solely on Flanno. Just like I’ll eat my words if they do win it all and say it was on Flanno.

My biggest gripe is that, we could be better. We could be winning more games, more comfortably. This is on Shane.
He has been there a long time and staleness creeps in.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I'd see whats out there, if theres nothing better than offer him a contract. He's been here a long time. Shit gets stale unless you're a freak like Bellamy/Bennett.

I reckon Bennett is stale. I reckon Bellamy is on the slide and will slide more as the guns start firing blanks.

chewsta

First Grade
Let me know when we field the same team for more than 30 mintues this season and then i'll worry about how the coach is going.

Meanwhile we are 2 games off being equal first on points.

Quick sack him.

100% agree with this.
What coaches are available anyway?

Flanno has tried to stop the "staleness" by replacing his assistant coaches, Price and Shepherd, with Morris and Dymock.
This is something Bellyache does to great effect. No guessing that Flange states Bellamy as having the most influence on his coaching style.
I think be does deserve an extension but I would be waiting to see how we go this year before any major extensions.