What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale is done

O'Sullivan

Juniors
Nightingale tackled his butt off on Thursday but with big forwards targeting him he simply couldn't cut it in the middle of the park. Why with Host gone was Nighty left on for so long while Sele and Lawrie were getting splinters in their bums? Crazy. He is too slow for wing or centre, too small for the back row and therefore is a liability for the bench. The call from Bellamy to run at Nightingale will be replicated by every coach for the remainder of the year. I think his time has well and truly come but he will be kept in our 17 because sentiment and loyalty seem to be ruling the roost at STGI where Jason is concerned. I hope that when our SOO boys come back their defensive strength will allow Jason to be used in short stints in the middle. Hopefully I won't remember 2018 only for it being the year the Dragons showed their respect and loyalty to a champion clubman, and not the year we made the GF. Nighty deserves everything we can give him in 2018, both on and off the field, but not at the possible expense of our season.

slippery5

Juniors
Interesting comments by Sterlo saying "it is very unusual to carry a winger on the bench, interesting times ahead to see which way they go with that".
It's obvious mate ship & team bonding is taking precedence over team strength & I'm not just talking about Nighty.

Interesting comments by Sterlo saying "it is very unusual to carry a winger on the bench, interesting times ahead to see which way they go with that".
It's obvious mate ship & team bonding is taking precedence over team strength & I'm not just talking about Nighty.

As we saw last year with our dismal run of losses, Mary wouldn’t change the team then, he won’t now.

Life's Good

Coach
At the end of the day Nighty was asked to do a job he wasn’t cut out for. It’s all well & good to excuse his increased workload on account of Host going off injured but the fact remains he didn’t handle it well. I consider his effort as a contributor to our loss, not the sole reason for it. The fact remains his individual performance should be enough to see him dumped but I think it won’t happen because we play the Tigers next & they aren’t exactly a team of monsters.

At the end of the day Nighty was asked to do a job he wasn’t cut out for. It’s all well & good to excuse his increased workload on account of Host going off injured but the fact remains he didn’t handle it well. I consider his effort as a contributor to our loss, not the sole reason for it. The fact remains his individual performance should be enough to see him dumped but I think it won’t happen because we play the Tigers next & they aren’t exactly a team of monsters.
A career winger asked to defend in the middle of the field all night knowing the opposition coach had directed all his forwards to run at you all night, I think he did pretty well considering

Life's Good

Coach
A career winger asked to defend in the middle of the field all night knowing the opposition coach had directed all his forwards to run at you all night, I think he did pretty well considering
Like I said, the loss isn’t solely on him. The thing is he struggled in the middle, that’s undeniable. As a winger, in recent times he has been caught out at times. They aren’t good signs, rose coloured glasses & all.

Like I said, the loss isn’t solely on him. The thing is he struggled in the middle, that’s undeniable. As a winger, in recent times he has been caught out at times. They aren’t good signs, rose coloured glasses & all.

I think the point is if he’s not a good enough winger anymore, and arguably he isn’t, then he’s defiantly not a good enough reserve forward.
Mary should have bit the bulliet and sent him down to mentor the ISP players.

Life's Good

Coach
I think the point is if he’s not a good enough winger anymore, and arguably he isn’t, then he’s defiantly not a good enough reserve forward.
Mary should have bit the bulliet and sent him down to mentor the ISP players.

It looks like we’re on the same page then.

ouryears

Bench
Nightingale tackled his butt off on Thursday but with big forwards targeting him he simply couldn't cut it in the middle of the park. Why with Host gone was Nighty left on for so long while Sele and Lawrie were getting splinters in their bums? Crazy. He is too slow for wing or centre, too small for the back row and therefore is a liability for the bench. The call from Bellamy to run at Nightingale will be replicated by every coach for the remainder of the year. I think his time has well and truly come but he will be kept in our 17 because sentiment and loyalty seem to be ruling the roost at STGI where Jason is concerned. I hope that when our SOO boys come back their defensive strength will allow Jason to be used in short stints in the middle. Hopefully I won't remember 2018 only for it being the year the Dragons showed their respect and loyalty to a champion clubman, and not the year we made the GF. Nighty deserves everything we can give him in 2018, both on and off the field, but not at the possible expense of our season.
Nor at the expense of his health.
Lack of Duty of care for Nighty will see Mary get his arse kicked one day.
Mcfu##wit must get the sack.

ouryears

Bench
If the coach was an intelligent rational person Nighty would not be asked to do a job in the middle of the park.
If a Mary thinks Nighty can do the job of a second row forward....then it’s time for a straight jacket and a tranquilliser gun for McIdiot.

Fair dinkum, the most useless coach in the history of the club, including Steve Price and Craig Young.

hazzbeen

Bench
If the coach was an intelligent rational person Nighty would not be asked to do a job in the middle of the park.
If a Mary thinks Nighty can do the job of a second row forward....then it’s time for a straight jacket and a tranquilliser gun for McIdiot.

Fair dinkum, the most useless coach in the history of the club, including Steve Price and Craig Young.
All I can say he has had more than most to prove himself , and I'm really not that confident that he will finish the season running ....

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Another problem that I didn't mention ( I'm not a very good troll obviously) that's been well documented is the union mentality of the club- jobs for the boys. Souths did their due diligence and ended up with Seibold who I predict will end up on the same level as Bennett and Bellamy. Any chance of Mary reaching those lofty heights??

We should have lost to Parra, Penrith flogged us and now the Melbourne result. This is our springboard to the end of season matches. We're supposed to have an easy run but I wouldn't count on it. We''ll probably still stagger into the final series- and may even win a game or two- but Melbourne, Souths and possibly now Brisbane have gone past us. Time to prepare for next year.

rasaint

Juniors
Hi All I agree that Nightie tackled his heart out upwards of 40 tackles I understand. I disagree with the view that he is too small etc. he weighs 90+ kilos more than Cam Smith and our own hooker McInnes Both do 40 plus tackles against all NRL monsters all season. Big strong Host lasted 5 minutes then busted his shoulder.

My point is that when the injury stick hits then it hits, luck of the draw. Plenty of huge NRL forwards are sitting on the sidelines now, busted and that's the way it can go.Nightie has been sound in the forwards, not great but 1grade sound.

I am neutral about our coach McGregor. I think he is doing well and has a top class half this year and a fast fullback. It seems that many want to blame him for anything that goes wrong but never credit him with the success this year. I have often put up stats and made comments that coaches are not nearly important as having the roster and being at the big money clubs. The great Wayne Bennett's stats dropped like a stone at Newcastle because he didn't have the players. Lots wanted Ivan Cleary here on the forum. He has been average over a long career. I could go on and on.

We have a good team this year who are in the mix but our club does not have the TPA to gain depth like Melbourne, Brisbane , Roosters etc. Let's hope our good run of no serious injuries continues ( especially our elite guys).