What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Grade Players Who Were Also Schoolteachers

Fui Fui Moi Moi taught English at my High School... pretty sure I heard he was Lecturing at Sydney Uni these days

Fui Fui Moi Moi signed with the Toronto Wolfpack so he could lecture in theoretical physics at the University of Toronto. But he was quickly let go by the Wolfpack after he was caught misbehaving and on the piss with Dave Taylor and an awful Englishman, and thus lost his Canadian work permit. So he has been forced to take up a chair in physics and also teach English literature at the University of Sydney.

Cooper Cronk will certainly finish a Bachelors Degree when he retires from winning rugby league grand finals with the Sydney Roosters. He will subsequently probably finish an advanced degree and take up a teaching appointment at a major university, so as to supplement his meagre earnings as a Fox Sports commentator.

Yorrick Hunt

Juniors
Wayne Pearce was my industrial Arts teacher back in the early 83.
We use to play touch footy at lunch time teachers verse students until he copped a injury and never played again.
Tigers coach I think it was warren Ryan told him to stop playing.

Was that Marsden?

Life's Good

Coach
Cooper Cronk will certainly finish a Bachelors Degree when he retires from winning rugby league grand finals with the Sydney Roosters. He will subsequently probably finish an advanced degree and take up a teaching appointment at a major university, so as to supplement his meagre earnings as a Fox Sports commentator.
A Bachelors degree but he’s now married?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
There's no such think as a Bachelor of Wrestling.....

Stallion

First Grade

Cooper Cronk is the type of individual that could promote rugby league's virtues to the "ironclad no sayers" dominating elite private schools. Perhaps one day this code will gain universal demographic traction and popularity/acceptance?

Coastbloke

Bench
Went to Willoughby Primary in the late 70s. Pretty sure there was a teacher with a surname of Allen that played for the Bears..

Stallion

First Grade
On this note, it would be great if the NRL specifically encouraged it's under 20s players to do teaching courses as its clear that rugby league needs the traction in schooling these days. Even have teaching as a preferred outgoing vocation option for retiring NRL players? My experience in primary schools in the Newcastle area indIcate a low presence of rugby league in these schools compared to AFL , union and ofcourse soccer.

Last edited:
The late-great Robert Stone.

Didn't teach me, but we played his Primary school (who I cant recall) in Friday arvo PSSA Cricket at Heathcote oval. He was umpiring and as a huge dragons fan I was super excited. Swung the bat like a wharfie to try and impress him and somehow everything connected and we won the game. He patted me on the head after saying "well done mate". Meant everything to me at the time. RIP.

Mr Spock!

Referee
On this note, it would be great if the NRL specifically encouraged it's under 20s players to do teaching courses as its clear that rugby league needs the traction in schooling these days. Even have teaching as a preferred outgoing vocation option for retiring NRL players? My experience in primary schools in the Newcastle area indIcate a low presence of rugby league in these schools compared to AFL , union and ofcourse soccer.
You need to qualify at a university to do a teaching degree.....

Latest posts