What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Womens NRL Clashes

Drew-Sta

Staff member
’ello.

Excuse my ignorance, but the 4 team WNRL competition; when does it start?

My 4 1/2 year old daughter wants to see the ‘girl Dragons’ play and I can’t find any info on when its going to begin. I seem to recall some mention of it before the Grand Final for the Mens NRL, but there’s not a lot of talk about it.

Any help would be great :slight_smile:

kbw

Bench
It Starts at the beginning of September and follows the men's final series.
I believe the locations of the games will be dependant on where the men's team finishes and I think this may apply a bit to who plays who, especially in the early couple of rounds.

Given St George are up there it would be a reasonable guess to think the Dragon's women's side will play before the Men's semi especially in round 1 or 2

Drew-Sta

Staff member
It Starts at the beginning of September and follows the men's final series.
I believe the locations of the games will be dependant on where the men's team finishes and I think this may apply a bit to who plays who, especially in the early couple of rounds.

Given St George are up there it would be a reasonable guess to think the Dragon's women's side will play before the Men's semi especially in round 1 or 2

Great, thanks for that! I look forward to that eventuating :slight_smile:

siv

First Grade
Sorry cant get excited about this exhibtion series

We are in the middle of 9 team W-NSWRL premiership heading into its grand final in the coming month

We have already had NRL womens teams playing before mens NRL clubs

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sorry cant get excited about this exhibtion series

We are in the middle of 9 team W-NSWRL premiership heading into its grand final in the coming month

We have already had NRL womens teams playing before mens NRL clubs
Que?

The NSWRL Premiership has been specifically altered so it's complete before the Women's NRL competition starts.

What an utterly ridiculous view to hold. Being partisan to a state comp for the sake of it :rolling_eyes:

Diesel

Coach
’ello.

Excuse my ignorance, but the 4 team WNRL competition; when does it start?

My 4 1/2 year old daughter wants to see the ‘girl Dragons’ play and I can’t find any info on when its going to begin. I seem to recall some mention of it before the Grand Final for the Mens NRL, but there’s not a lot of talk about it.

Any help would be great :slight_smile:
You seem surprised that Toddy boy would have his act together. He just turns up to press conferences then does SFA

Diesel

Coach
I’ve found very little information on who is coaching or a handful of players going to certain teams. With it starting in less then 8 weeks, I was expecting to see more info out there

kbw

Bench
No sick of how the NRL is treating clubs with establish womens teams

What have they done to the Bulldogs ?

Cronulla Sutherland Sharks do not have a team current NSW womens comp.
Its Cronulla Carringbah, a separate entity.

While Souths do its not really an established souths team its the Redfern Allblacks team

Actually in truth none of these are at the level that the NRL womens teams wll be.
the bids from Cronulla and Souths for a WNRL team was so poor, they refused to spend any money and wanted to basically run the teams from their area in the NSW WRL which would have been flogged.
In truth both Cronulla and Souths (seniors) have done bugger all for women's RL The real trailblazer has been Illawarra.

kbw

Bench
I’ve found very little information on who is coaching or a handful of players going to certain teams. With it starting in less then 8 weeks, I was expecting to see more info out there

Alot of the info can be found but its in bits and pieces on each team's site. It would be nicer if it was easier to see

Timmah

Staff member
What have they done to the Bulldogs ?

Cronulla Sutherland Sharks do not have a team current NSW womens comp.
Its Cronulla Carringbah, a separate entity.

While Souths do its not really an established souths team its the Redfern Allblacks team

Actually in truth none of these are at the level that the NRL womens teams wll be.
the bids from Cronulla and Souths for a WNRL team was so poor, they refused to spend any money and wanted to basically run the teams from their area in the NSW WRL which would have been flogged.
In truth both Cronulla and Souths (seniors) have done bugger all for women's RL The real trailblazer has been Illawarra.
Wasn't aware of the first part (how they wanted to run them) but the second seems to be a fairly common view - Illawarra are the real leaders in women's footy which probably got the Dragons the spot. Once they were in there was no way Cronulla would get a spot first year as well.

kbw

Bench
this is probably a better way to explain it.
The NRL wanted the best competition possible which means having the best 80+ players playing in 4 teams or 120+ in 6 teams. This means the players need to be brought from all over the country. Only the Broncos, Roosters Dragons and Warriors were willing to do this.

What I find no coincidence is I can't remember hearing any current players complaining about the make up

Tigers1986

Juniors
A lot of the Cronulla-Caringbah girls were upset about it. I may be wrong but I was sure they made up most of the NSW team last year.

It's a trial to see how it works. Next year they'll expand as the profile grows. Cronulla and Souths will be walk ins. Eventually they should aim to have a mirror side to all NRL teams. The AFL followed a similar model for their womens league

Proud Footy Mum

Juniors
Whilst Souths and Cronulla girls make up a fair portion of the NSW team, and were disappointed that their teams weren't included in this years competition, they've moved into being signed by the other 4 teams nicely. Roosters, seem to have been very professional with their signings and the way they have approached the girls. I think at this stage all 4 teams have filled their "Marquee" signings and are now filling the remainder of their spots. I would like to see one or more teams from the Illawarra comp come up to play in the regular weekly Sydney based comp aswell.

T-Boon

Coach
Eventually they should aim to have a mirror side to all NRL teams.

There are way too many Sydney NRL teams.
Why would the womens game starting from scratch aim to repeat the same mistakes. 5 WNRL Sydney teams should be the aim.

Stallion

First Grade
There are way too many Sydney NRL teams.
Why would the womens game starting from scratch aim to repeat the same mistakes. 5 WNRL Sydney teams should be the aim.

That's dissappointing from you T-BOON. Their are not enough NRL Sydney teams if you look at the population and the ready made advantage the established clubs give the womens game. It's instant notoriety and recognition. I'm a massive fan of the womens game. It deserves to enjoy growth off the established and popular clubs that make up the NRL. Numbers will grow player wise and codes like union and AFL will languish given how good the tv product of women's RL has proven to be.

siv

First Grade
this is probably a better way to explain it.
The NRL wanted the best competition possible which means having the best 80+ players playing in 4 teams or 120+ in 6 teams. This means the players need to be brought from all over the country. Only the Broncos, Roosters Dragons and Warriors were willing to do this.

What I find no coincidence is I can't remember hearing any current players complaining about the make up

NRL wanted a 6 team comp

6 applications were submitted

Lots of current players are upset but won't speak publically

2 of those excluded clubs who applied - supplied 11 of 17 NSW SOO players

They had the systems and structure in place

The only team who benefited from the cull - has been Easts

I stand by my original statement
- if the NRL wants a NRL womens comp it should allow ALL 16 teams to join when ready. Souths and Cronulla were ready.

Otherwise it should have startrd fresh and only have Sydney regional teams
- Northern Sydney (Easts/Manly/Norths/CC)
- Southern Sydney (Souths/St George/Cronulla/Illawarra)
- Western Sydney (Parramatta/Penrith/Canterbury/Wests)

Where the 3 WNRL entities carry ALL NRL district club badges

NRL fans are tribal and wont follow players in opposition jerseys

Its put a lot of fans off following the competition.

Timmah

Staff member
NRL wanted a 6 team comp
I stopped reading beyond this. No factual basis for this and it calls into question the factuality of anything you've said after.

kbw

Bench
Lets look at your comments
NRL wanted a 6 team comp
6 applications were submitted

The NRL def initially wanted 6 teams. But they were always worried about getting the product they wanted from 6 teams.

2 of those teams submitted applications that were not up to standard. Neither wanted to spend any money relocating players to create a team of the standard required. One of those teams failed in 5 out of 7 of the required criteria

2 of those excluded clubs who applied - supplied 11 of 17 NSW SOO players
They had the systems and structure in place

Only one of the two had a team. Cronuilla Carringbah are are junior club under the Cronulla district but are not the Cronulla sharks

Neither Cronulla or Souths reall had systems in place. The Redfern Allbacks set up was merely given Souths jerseys and Cronulla have done little for women's RL most of Cronulla Carringbah best players come out of the Illawara region.

Now I like you would have preferred a 6 team comp, but you can't give teams to clubs that are just not willing to create a team to the standard that the NRL wanted. Souths for example while are the best team in the Women's ISP would be smashed in the WNRL and they would not have kept all their players due to enticements from other clubs.

If you cut though the BS whinging by those 2 clubs, the only NSW club that really should have got a team based on what they have done for WRL is St George/Illawarra. They have done so much more than anyone else. Bulldogs are probably the next but they did not apply

Latest posts